FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joomla Support

applejunk
I've been trying to install Joomla on my domain with no success whatsoever =( I've looked through a couple of the threads here, but I couldn't find a detailed tutorial on how to install it. The most I came up with was that I need the tar.gz files instead of the .zip files. If anyone could please tell me how to install it, or link me to a previous thread that explains it pretty well, I would greatly appreciate it!! Or if you want to install it for me that would be nice too =]]] Thanks again!
Handyman
Installing joomla is a breeze.

Just upload the tar.gz with the file manager and then unzip it.

Go to the web address where the installation is and go through the web based installation.

It should take about 10 minuets and your up and running.

If you need me to install it for you let me know.
applejunk
So you upload it to the public_html directory first before unzipping it? o_o I'm so confused lol.
I've installed Joomla before on several other different hosting websites and they've worked perfectly fine, but for some reason the Frihost one refuses to work with me. It gets to the install page but the page looks like a bunch of html codes, it doesn't look like how the installation page is supposed to look like as with all the other websites I've tried. It's making me frustrated =(

Would you mind doing it for me if I messaged you with my information? I don't know why it's not working for me on frihost, and I would like to see how it's done. I would appreciate it a loooot Very Happy Thank you so much!!
Bondings
applejunk wrote:
So you upload it to the public_html directory first before unzipping it? o_o I'm so confused lol.
I've installed Joomla before on several other different hosting websites and they've worked perfectly fine, but for some reason the Frihost one refuses to work with me. It gets to the install page but the page looks like a bunch of html codes, it doesn't look like how the installation page is supposed to look like as with all the other websites I've tried. It's making me frustrated =(

Would you mind doing it for me if I messaged you with my information? I don't know why it's not working for me on frihost, and I would like to see how it's done. I would appreciate it a loooot Very Happy Thank you so much!!

You need to upload it to your public_html directory, or a directory inside it. Afterwards unzip it with the file manager in DirectAdmin. However, to start/install it, you need to go to the website url and not use the one from the site manager. So it should be something like http://piki.frih.net/<something>
applejunk
It says I don't have permission to access / on this server ><

Sorry for causing so much trouble...I'm completely dumb in this area Crying or Very sad
Chris24
If you don't understand these steps listed below you can check out this link, it is pretty easy

Quote:
http://scriptslibrary.doteasy.com/index.php?itemid=8

After downloading, unzip/untar the package
Login to your FTP
Upload the Joomla! Files, I assume you have uploaded to a folder called "Joomla", you can upload to another directory if you wish(public_html)
While you are uploading Joomla, we shall create a mySQL Database.
If you use cPanel, please go to step 7a.
If you use Directadmin, please go to step 8a

CPANEL USERS
7a. Login to cPanel.
7b. Go to MySQL Databases.
7c. Go to a field named "Db:".
We will call the database "joomla", you can change it if you wish to.
Then hit "Add Db". You have successfully made your SQL Database .
7d. Go to the fields named "UserName:" and "Password:". We will call the username "cms" and password "password", you can change them if you wish to.
Then hit "Add User". You have successfully made your SQL User .
7e. Go to the two dropdown lists named "User:" and "Db:".
Under user, select the user you made, in this case, we will select "cms".
Under db, select the database you made, in this case, we will select "joomla".
Make sure under "Privileges:", the checkbox beside "ALL" is checked.
Then hit "Add user to DB". You have successfully made a working SQL Database .

DIRECTADMIN USERS
8a. Login to Directadmin.
8b. Go to mySQL Databases.
8c. Select "Create New Database"
8d. You will see the following fields "Database Name", "Database Username", "Username Password", "Confirm Password".
Under Database Name, type in "joomla", you can change it if you wish to.
Under Database Username, type in "cms", you can change it if you wish to.
Under Username Password and Confirm Password, type in "password", , you can change it if you wish to.
Hit create.
8e. A page showing the Database and user you have just created will show up.

9. Now, I assume you have finished uploading phpBB.
10. CHMOD/Set the permissions of) configuration.php-dist to 777 using your FTP Client.
11. Go to http://domain/joomla
A Joomla! Installation page will show up. Fill in the details accordingly. Once you get the install process done it will tell you some code to enter into configuration.php, first rename .configuration.php-dist to configuration.php, then enter the code the install page gave you and save it.
12. CHMOD configuration.php to 644.
YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED JOOMLA!
applejunk
ah thank you so much!! this has been very helpful =))