FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

about PC-BSD ?

amineelasry
hello !

can you ask more about PC-BSD ?
Arno v. Lumig
It's pretty nice, the PBI system works great and it's pretty damn stable. I just don't like KDE, so I'll stick with FreeBSD for now.
The developers are great though, and they also have a pretty active IRC channel (#pcbsd at irc.freenode.org)
Studio Madcrow
PC-BSD is awesome. Best DE (Desktop Environment), great packaging system and MUCH eaiser to setup and configure than "vanilla" FreeBSD.
fiendskull9
@arno

you can certainly compile another DE in PC-BSD and other stuff

But i myself prefer FreeBSD, because i use FreeBSD on my server

im not really intrigued by BSD on the desktop
Arno v. Lumig
fiendskull9 wrote:
@arno

you can certainly compile another DE in PC-BSD and other stuff

I know, but that defeats the point of using PCBSD... The good thing about PCBSD is that you won't have to do anything to set it up...
ThePolemistis
amineelasry wrote:
hello !

can you ask more about PC-BSD ?

great piece of OS -- supposed to be one of the most stable around.

Has already made installation programs for common programs which is quite good. However, lacks a large fanbase unlike ubuntu.
{name here}
I heard it's a rather nice BSD derivative. I've never used it, but I haven't heard much bad criticism about the OS...although it's been a year or so since I actually did read up anything about the whole OS.
fiendskull9
well i can never remember if its DesktopBSD or PC-BSD that uses the freebsd ports system

which ever-one that is, i would highly reccomend it

The thing that does set the difference between linux and freebsd (not the derivative citation there) is that the FreeBSD team is a bit more slimmed down and mature (both in age, and i guess you could say in coding)

in linux, you have this spew of code being commited, and a new developer seemingly every week or month. Although linus does keep control and ultimately decides what is final commited to the kernel, things are still very chip chop on what you would call "stable" (unless your running 2.2 or 2.4, then you have no worries)

in FreeBSD its a controlled group of like 20-40 core developers that are writing code in a locked brain type enviroment (they all know how each person is writing, what there style is, etc)

seems just seem a bit more controlled and "stable" i guess you could say

but i love both FreeBSD and most linux distributions

i have yet to try DesktopBSD or PC-BSD just because the fact that i like control over my system.

and, its easier to add, than to take away...

-clay
Studio Madcrow
fiendskull9 wrote:
well i can never remember if its DesktopBSD or PC-BSD that uses the freebsd ports system

which ever-one that is, i would highly reccomend it

The thing that does set the difference between linux and freebsd (not the derivative citation there) is that the FreeBSD team is a bit more slimmed down and mature (both in age, and i guess you could say in coding)

in linux, you have this spew of code being commited, and a new developer seemingly every week or month. Although linus does keep control and ultimately decides what is final commited to the kernel, things are still very chip chop on what you would call "stable" (unless your running 2.2 or 2.4, then you have no worries)

in FreeBSD its a controlled group of like 20-40 core developers that are writing code in a locked brain type enviroment (they all know how each person is writing, what there style is, etc)

seems just seem a bit more controlled and "stable" i guess you could say

but i love both FreeBSD and most linux distributions

i have yet to try DesktopBSD or PC-BSD just because the fact that i like control over my system.

and, its easier to add, than to take away...

-clay

PC-BSD and DesktopBSD are actually both distributions of FreeBSD with some extra GUI software. Both use ports (if you want 'em) and both also have a more newbie-friendly package system (PC-BSD especially, which has PBI which is basically just a Unix version of MSI...)
fiendskull9
ah, thank you Razz

they dont use the freebsd kernel do they?
Arno v. Lumig
fiendskull9 wrote:
ah, thank you Razz

they dont use the freebsd kernel do they?

They use a slightly modified FreeBSD kernel (6.0 IIRC)
fiendskull9
aha
thanks for the info again Razz
i might have to look into it, as it sounds nice