FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Some webhosts are really bad ( But not frihost :D )

[FuN]goku
Okay , this is soooo messed up. Other than my frihost account, i had another host which i was mainly using. But i knew eventually that host was gonna close down, cancel my account or whatever. So friday i log on, check out all my different forums and stuff i check on a daily basis, and what do i found out.

'Your account has been suspended, please contact us for more information on why your account has been suspended.'

And then, my friend who got us that account, checked his email to find out the reason why, and what does it say...

Date Suspended:
Thu Sep 6 10:09:19 2007

Reason:
Sending spam - /downloads/serial.php

Now what i would like to know how the heck that file got there in the first place... there was No files on that entire webspace named that, if someone could of got my password, then they must be really good considering i use pro passwords like..... $j3&-f9 anything obscure like that... my system is clean and if anyone can break into it then they deserve a cookie cuz im running a pretty secure pc. So the only thing i can figure out, is that they planted the file there for some reason or another. Cuz i never had any spam scripts on there at all.... So im fighting for my account right now, cuz im quite ticked about it, i had original files on there that i dont have on any pc's or cd's etc... like my site, some of the scripts on it were hard to get.

In conclusion, it just goes to show you that quantity isnt always better ( i had 40 gig webspace and 20 gig transfer) and ive decided to go back to using my frihost account, and this is exactly why i never requested my frihost account to be deleted , cuz i knew someday that particular host would do something to me. So even though i dont have as much space, i have the satisfaction of knowing i still have a cpanel, and a good host with reliable uptime, and a wonderful community.
mjohnson
Yes,frihost is very good,it is stable and fast.I have used a lot of free web hosting but I think frihost is the best one.
f-spider
mjohnson wrote:
Yes,frihost is very good,it is stable and fast.I have used a lot of free web hosting but I think frihost is the best one.

Yeah, no doubt it's the best. I've used a lot of free web hosts in the past, and they've all been pretty dodgy (apart from a few, but they weren't very secure) so I was very happy to have found this site.

Haha, without doubt it has the most features of any free web host...

f-spider
Bondings
It could be a security hole in one of your scripts or the software you use. If you have things like joomla, xoops, phpbb, phpnuke or mambo installed and it isn't the latest version then there is always a chance for it to be hacked. It could also have come from another hacked account on the server.
[FuN]goku
@ Bondings - No , i had phpbb, and a custom CMS that i made integrated with it, but it was pretty secure, cuz i scanned it with a vuln. scanner to make sure. I found an sql injection which i fixed, and there was one other thing which i fixed as well. And afaik, there was no php files in the downloads folder, just rar's and zip's. So i'm not exactly sure what happend, still havent heard from them. Ill probly just stick with frihost, im sick of that other one anyways, even though i was getting paid services free, they always took wayyyy too long replying to things you needed support with. So even if i do get it back , it will be more or less, for storing some videos that i let my friend have on there.
otiscom
So all you want is something for nothing?

Try growing up!
phillyfan
I have gone and searched for many web hosts(how i found frihost) and i found out that there are a lot of cheesy webhosting sites. I found one that sounded good and when i started making a web the tools they gave me were so confusing and after cliking helplessly for 2 hours i couldnt figure anything out. i read in their home page that the tools are gana b eazy that a 10 year old can do it...maybe im just reely stupid but i didnt no wat i was fing doing.
<removed by mathiaus>

Also dont fall into ppl making u feel like their internet webhosting site is the best cuz most likely it is not...its not like this.
m-productions
otiscom wrote:

Try growing up!

... um.. what?

anyway... on to a post with a point. its been a few days now, have you had any new word on this?
Technaut
I have used Frihost for awhile now, and they are the best free host out there. Thats being said, I am also very happy with my paid host, as they provide just what I need, for a very low price. Plus, the support team has been very patient and helpfull with me. I guess I'm lucky to have such great hosts, free and otherwise!
ashish2005
Well yea frihost is the best freehost there is. It's been here for a long time and is really reliable and that is the most important thing a frihost should have. Those promising to give space and bandwidth equal to the paid services can dissappear any time.

I think that your webhost should have warned you to remove that file first or should now remove the suspension after you explain to them. By the way is it possible to tell me the name of the free host?
m-productions
why the heck are you all saying he had a free webhost?? he had 40 gigs space... 20 gig transfer..are you sure that was free???.
Chelissamow
I love Frihost. I'm very glad that I found out considering that all of my other hosts that I've tried really stink. And even though my points are still negative (haven't been on for a while), my account is still up. Yay~
coreymanshack
otiscom wrote:

Try growing up!

Wow, sounds like you're the one who needs the reality check. Why are you at frihost?

[FuN]goku wrote:
Okay , this is soooo messed up. Other than my frihost account, i had another host which i was mainly using. But i knew eventually that host was gonna close down, cancel my account or whatever. So friday i log on, check out all my different forums and stuff i check on a daily basis, and what do i found out.

'Your account has been suspended, please contact us for more information on why your account has been suspended.'

And then, my friend who got us that account, checked his email to find out the reason why, and what does it say...

Date Suspended:
Thu Sep 6 10:09:19 2007

Reason:
Sending spam - /downloads/serial.php

Now what i would like to know how the heck that file got there in the first place... there was No files on that entire webspace named that, if someone could of got my password, then they must be really good considering i use pro passwords like..... $j3&-f9 anything obscure like that... my system is clean and if anyone can break into it then they deserve a cookie cuz im running a pretty secure pc. So the only thing i can figure out, is that they planted the file there for some reason or another. Cuz i never had any spam scripts on there at all.... So im fighting for my account right now, cuz im quite ticked about it, i had original files on there that i dont have on any pc's or cd's etc... like my site, some of the scripts on it were hard to get.

In conclusion, it just goes to show you that quantity isnt always better ( i had 40 gig webspace and 20 gig transfer) and ive decided to go back to using my frihost account, and this is exactly why i never requested my frihost account to be deleted , cuz i knew someday that particular host would do something to me. So even though i dont have as much space, i have the satisfaction of knowing i still have a cpanel, and a good host with reliable uptime, and a wonderful community.

The amount of space and transfer just seemed unreal to me for some reason. Did they have any sort of ads? Any way to pay for their side of the deal? They may have actually got your account confused with someone elses.
eku53ru
I definitely know what you mean. Before I came to Frihost, I was hopping around various "good" free hosts that, after some time passed, went down the drain. One of the ones I distinctively remember was wonderful in the beginning (a lot of space/bandwidth, free SQL databases, email address, etc.), but downtime became the bane of its existence. After some time, the server had to also implement ads on users' webpages to keep up with maintenance costs, and not many people were pleased with it. Another host of mine disabled features (such as the PHP email function, I believe), which rendered a number of the scripts that I had on my site useless. I'm very thankful for having found Frihost; it's lived up to my expectations, and it hasn't let me down yet.

Having your account disabled like that is weird; I cannot offer any suggestions/help with the problem, but I do agree that quantity isn't always better.
Hunterseaker
I know the situation, many hosts give you a lot of web and traffic space. The first couple of month's everything works okay, tho when it is getting busy you are faced with many downtimes and eventually the host is going to stop because the many costs and unreliability.
I was on a host with 900 mb of webspace, everything worked well, tho one day they decided to reduce the webspace and bandwidth. That was the beginning of the end, after a few months they decided to give up freehosting. That's when I decided to return to frihost
Frihost offers enough webspace and is reliable. The reliability is the most important factor, and that is why people stay with frihost.
Crazy_Canuck
When we were first getting our site up and running, we did a really, really comprehensive review of about 25 of the top free webhosts out there that met our basic tech specs.

We reviewed each site against the following criteria:
1) tech specs, including storage, transfer and dbases
2) customer support
3) requirements for ad free status
4) stability of host (technical and business model - i.e., uptime and length of time in business)

While it's true you get what you pay for, there are some very, very good free hosts out there. Frihost is definitely one of them.

In my experience, sites offering mammoth amounts of storage and bandwidth, without any evidence of a solid business model to yield payment to them for giving away what most sites charge for (e.g., forum posting), are highly questionable.

What did you have to do to maintain that amount of storage and transfer, [FuN]goku?
DX4Life13
Indeed. Even though I don't have a Frihost hosting account yet, I've heard that they're a really trustful hosting group that don't cheat you out of anything. As for your problem, try asking them to check your host account's action log to see if anyone other than yourself logged on without you knowing about it.