FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm very outdated...(about phpbb installation)

Da Rossa
Hi folks,
I've just downloaded phpbb3 RC5 and uploaded to my folder in the server: public_html/forum/

However, the things seem to be darker from phpbb2.x til now. Also, I'm a complete n00b as you can see.

The documentation files says that...
Quote:
The first page you will see after starting the installation is the Requirements list. phpBB 3.0 checks automatically whether everything that it needs to run properly is installed on your server. You need to have at least the minimum PHP version installed, and at least one database available to continue the installation. Also important, is that all shown folders are available and do have the correct permissions. Please see the description of each section to find out whether they are optional or required for phpBB 3.0 to run. If everything is in order, you can continue the installation with Start Install.

I'm running my account with DirectAdmin, how can I know if php is already set up and if the database is ready to be created? And the permissions?

Is there a topic/stick/announcement that I shouldn't have missed? Sad

Thanks!
mathiaus
The server has all you need. You will need to create a database yourself though in DA. Follow stepls 21 to 24 of my phpBB 2 tutorial.
Da Rossa
I did it, nice tutorial btw, but maybe I'm even n00bier. Look at the situation:

As you can see, it detected some missing features, although I think that, since they're in the same section, only one of each would be necessary.

The documentation says also:

Quote:
The first page you will see after starting the installation is the Requirements list. phpBB 3.0 checks automatically whether everything that it needs to run properly is installed on your server. You need to have at least the minimum PHP version installed, and at least one database available to continue the installation. Also important, is that all shown folders are available and do have the correct permissions. Please see the description of each section to find out whether they are optional or required for phpBB 3.0 to run. If everything is in order, you can continue the installation with Start Install.

There is no such "Start Install" button that I can see...
mathiaus
The database section is fine, you only need one of the options. Your problem comes with your files. As it says...
Quote:
If it says "Unwritable" you need to change the permissions of the file or directory to allow phpBB to write to it.

Do step 18-19 of the same tutorial but for the directories /cache, /file, /store and /images/avatars/upload
Da Rossa
mathiaus wrote:
The database section is fine, you only need one of the options. Your problem comes with your files. As it says...
Quote:
If it says "Unwritable" you need to change the permissions of the file or directory to allow phpBB to write to it.

Do step 18-19 of the same tutorial but for the directories /cache, /file, /store and /images/avatars/upload

I set the permission to every directory you stated to 666 like said your tutorial. However only config.php and images/avatar/upload worked; cache, files and store are still unwritable. Sad

Why permission 666 and not 755 as it as pre-set in the field or 777 like I used to do?

Edit: I got it sorted, thanks!! Very Happy