FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who uses fountain pens?

Sphaerenkern
I just wonder who likes and uses fountain pens.
I like them because they have a very light way to write, they're stylish and because they last that long, they become something personal, I think. Also, it's great to have that much ink colors Very Happy (I use blue-turquoise ink)

So, do you use fountain pens? Which ones? What nib do you have?

Currently I use a rotring Skynn with an XS (Xtra Small) nib. I also have a Montblanc Meisterstück (="Masterpiece"), but it was a gift and I think it's a poser-pen... also it has a M-nib which is too big for me.
wylieconlon
The answer would have to be no. Even though I've used them on occasion, for art class, and calligraphy, I don't think I'd like to deal with carrying around the ink, and in my few times using them, I've definitely messed up more than a few times, which doesn't happen with most other store-bought pens. Though they do achieve a different feel and effect, they aren't exactly what I'd call "Easy."
Sphaerenkern
Uh, wait, I think you got it wrong, I actually wrote about fountain pens with cartridges Very Happy
SonLight
I think most of our memories of fountain pens are memories of leaking and erratic behavior. The ball point pen gave us a lot more consistency, but I agree that something was lost in style and expressiveness. I suspect there are fountain pens I would enjoy using, that would not smear ink on the paper nor soak my pocket with ink. Some pens, for example "flair", are advertised as having the virtues of fountain pens without the problems we are afraid of. But none of these are "real" fountain pens, as far as I know.
pashmina
I do love to use the fountain pens. I have one classic one which looks very classy. I just love to do my signature with the fountain pens. It looks so different when you sign them with the fountain pens.
roboguyspacedude
I have tried using a fountain pen learning kit but I always find it so frustrating to use them. I can't write with just a metal tip. I have also tried using a quill as a pen for a school project, but it is really hard when you have the quill tip keep slipping.
SonLight
roboguyspacedude wrote:
I have tried using a fountain pen learning kit but I always find it so frustrating to use them. I can't write with just a metal tip. I have also tried using a quill as a pen for a school project, but it is really hard when you have the quill tip keep slipping.

I assume you're talking about a calligraphy set? It doesn't seem that you would have to learn how to use a standare cartridge fountain pen to sign your name, for example. Maybe one reason I am leery of using fountain pens, aside from knowing about the old bottle-loaders, is that sets for calligraphy do require special attention to use. I don't seem to have gotten the message that there are fountain pens you can just pick up and use. On the other hand, surely the easy ones are less expressive -- else why would calligraphers carry around a whole set of tools?
Drawingguy
I used to use a couple of the cartridge ones. It definitely gives the writing more 'character,' if that's possible, but for real use, they're a joke. Drop them once, and there's a good chance that you've lost your tip.
Daisie
I love fountain pen, it's so nice to write with one.
I know that in french school, as soon as you hit second grade, you got a fountain pen (well most of the girls anyway) because it's sooo grown up lol!
I use purple ink right now, I have turquoise, green and red ones too (I cant find a good choice in the uk so i stock up when i got to see mom in france).
My husband offer me one for xmas every 2 years, usually red. I have a tiny one that I keep in my hand bag too...
I would love to have a Montblanc !
Coclus
I don't really use them, just once in a while..
driftingfe3s
I have a really cheap one I bought years ago. It works decent, but I'm pretty sloppy and sometimes I'll have ink all over my fingers if I'm not careful. Maybe this is only because my fountain pen is cheap.
FirecrackerLabels
I did not even know you could still get fountain pens, I never see them at regular stores so do you have to go to a cracft store or someplace like that to find them?
Sphaerenkern
Drawingguy wrote:
I used to use a couple of the cartridge ones. It definitely gives the writing more 'character,' if that's possible, but for real use, they're a joke. Drop them once, and there's a good chance that you've lost your tip.

Funny. My old pen flew through the classroom several times, but if I remember correctly, the tip was working until the pen was used as a dart arrow...
hiquality
I looooooooooooooooooooveeeee fountain pens Smile Smile Smile ... but my brother and my friends throw them around ... they are sooo mean Sad
Sadow
I love my fountain pen too. It's been a while though since I wrote with it. Actually my hand writing is pretty bad. Confused
But anyways, one good advice: fountain pens really form to your way of writing. Don't let anyone else write with it or you will find out it will take a long time before it writes the way you liked it. Wink