FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why not Chinese?

aster
I know few pepole like to study chinese language in fact, in there oppinon, chinese just like a "Mark" in cultrue and a "Market" in ecnomy .

While, there are a few softs for those pepole who like to study chinese for the purpose of tradtion or cultrue comunications, you can find it by yourself or ask me.

But I think It is really harder to study chinese without a primary teacher.
takashiro
I think a chinese teacher is needed. Even though chinese learn chinese. Chinese words seems to be too many, there are many words mean the same thing.
faund
I am a Chinese, and I am glad to help you to learn Chinese.
Liques
Yeah chinese is a nice language, but, wo bu jiang zhong wen. Yet. Smile
faund
Very Happy ni hui jiang shen me yu yan. What language do you speak in.
takashiro
So many chinese in this forum??? I am chinese ,too!!!
That sounds exciting! Out of my opinion...
40dush
I'm not Chinese but speak Chinese language.
htetkyawlwin
da ja hao!!!
I am a chinese too. glad to see you all.
{name here}
takashiro wrote:
I think a chinese teacher is needed. Even though chinese learn chinese. Chinese words seems to be too many, there are many words mean the same thing.

It's probably in your best interest to learn chinese with a teacher, so you know how to pronnounce the characters properly, with the right tone of voice. Or at least, if you have a tape or a program like Rosetta Stone, use that if you can't afford the assistance of a teacher.
hamihaha
takashiro wrote:
So many chinese in this forum??? I am chinese ,too!!!
That sounds exciting! Out of my opinion...

Your name Takashiro is not very Chinese no?
toddler
One more chinese here
D'Artagnan
Hey, it's cool to have so many chinese here =)
i ever wanted to learn chinese, but i'm limited to the 'ni hao ma' thing ,

someone could tellme what's the better way to learn chinese throught internt?, just the basics for now =)...
should i start with the writing or the speaking? should i try cantonese or mandarin first?

@hamihaha - the links in you're signature look very good , xiexie

zaijian
foRs
Congratulation boys Smile

All chinese who talk in this topic live in china ?
xixilee
ҵĺܰ ˭ѧأҰ
my chinese is so perf!,Who want to learn ?I will teach him!
ms me!
foRs
I think it's very difficult language, particularly ronounce correctly.
But why not to try learn this lang.
zjosie729
D'Artagnan wrote:

someone could tellme what's the better way to learn chinese throught internt?, just the basics for now =)...
should i start with the writing or the speaking? should i try cantonese or mandarin first?

I don't think you can learn Chinese through the internet. It's a language that's almost opposite of English, for example, instead of "What did you eat?" which is how you would probably ask someone, in Chinese it'd be "you ate what?". And that's just the simpler aspect of how it's "opposite".

You should definitely learn mandarin first. Most Chinese will understand mandarin (even if they speak cantonese), but if you find someone from northern China, I don't think they'll understand Cantonese.
tabifu
Quote:
I don't think you can learn Chinese through the internet. It's a language that's almost opposite of English, for example, instead of "What did you eat?" which is how you would probably ask someone, in Chinese it'd be "you ate what?". And that's just the simpler aspect of how it's "opposite".

Actually, I think Chinese has pretty simple grammar, at least at the beginner/intermediate levels. It's not too far off from English. Sentences follow the Subject/Verb/Object word order as in English (I love you = Wo (I) ai (love) ni(you)), although there are some differences you have to keep in mind, such as time words always being before verbs (wo shi dian shang ke = I ten o'clock start class). The cool thing about Chinese is you don't have to worry about conjegating verbs!

Quote:

There is a great site to study Chinese online: www.chinesepod.com. This site has hundreds of free audio lessons (about 15 minutes long a piece) covering levels newbie through advanced. The hosts are fun, the topics of each lesson interesting, and the vocabulary/grammar is genuinely useful. I use it as a supplement to my Chinese textbook, but for those going for speaking ability, this would be a fine teacher (the free parts of the site have very little help for reading and writing).

I agree that Mandarin is the best choice. Although there are still many dialects widely used in everyday life throughout China, Mandarin is the standard used in all schools in mainland China and Taiwan (meaning middle-aged folk and younger should all be able to communicate it in). In Hong Kong you're still better off trying to communicate in English rather than Mandarin (I know from experience trying to use both), although it is increasing in popularity there.

If you're interested in the writing system, you might also consider whether you want to study simplified or traditional characters. Simplified is the official set used in mainland China; Taiwan and Hong Kong use traditional. If you never plan to go to China, I'd suggest traditional as it retains more meaning and history, and it's prettier ^_^. I live in China, so simplified is a must for me.
tjf000
Learn a new language may be very hard for most of us. But I think there are many reasons. First of all, I think because we come from different countries, and we have different mother-language. Second, I think it is our age and our ability of rememberion, as we get older and older, the ability of rememberion decreased. Another reason is we don't have more time spending in remembering the words and we don't try our best to remember the words. I think this is the most important reason. All the language are composed by words.
I have a good example in our class, he is 35, and his Engnish is the best in our class, he dosen't go abroad and perhaps learn Engnish in his late age.
So, we can learn the new language well, if we study hard. I hope you can learn our Chinese language successfully. Laughing
lintao
hehe,i can help u with chinese too~
takashiro
hamihaha wrote:
Your name Takashiro is not very Chinese no?

It's not a Chinese name, of course. That's my Japanese family name. Very Happy My Chinese family name is Zhang.
8166UY
I'm indeed surprised that Chinese isn't available for the masses. It's a big economy with loads of people. The main thing might be that the politics aren't well received in Europe and USA. But I wouldn't mind learning a Asian language. Japanese particularly interests me. I'm Dutch BTW.
1www
the teaching of Chinese as a foreign language
spring567
foRs wrote:
Congratulation boys Smile

All chinese who talk in this topic live in china ?

I am Chinese ,know Chinese, live in China . Yet !
rebill
I will be your teacher if you wanna learn Chinese.
grashopa
Anyone learning Chinese? Try posting your Chinese here and others can help you out.

I'm an American studying Chinese so don't expect this to be written well:

你是在学中文的吗?就在这儿发帖子把,这样别人能帮忙。
rockacola
grashopa wrote:
Anyone learning Chinese? Try posting your Chinese here and others can help you out.

I'm an American studying Chinese so don't expect this to be written well:

你是在学中文的吗?就在这儿发帖子把,这样别人能帮忙。

I'm chinese background speaker, also happy to help Wink

hey grashopa, that's perfect chinese man! nice work!
kirii
Hello..I come from Malaysia and Im a Malaysian Born Chinese Laughing
My chinese is not bad too~
feel free to ask me
grashopa
Go here and download the game patrician 3 in chinese and play it if you are learning chinese. Its fun and you get to learn words like: 沥青 and 麻

http://www.okkq.com/forum-4-1.html
soofree
I am also a Chinese~ Very Happy
forkei
soofree wrote:

~! Smile Smile I am a chinese too ~!
Cliffer
chinese words are from drawing,don't think it too complecated.i can help you learn chinese. if you have painting basic,much better,would be easy to learn.
samjog
I am not chinese but i am going to learn chinese language. The most difficult task is to learn correct pronunciation, i believe. Its sounds so cool when native is speaking, however when i speak, its really bad. But im going to improve it!
razum2um
Quote:
correct pronunciation

Ye. The most difficult.
Moreover, the same pronunciation may have many context-based meanings.
qtwaiter
I am a chinese too! Chiese people all over the world! I think the good way is use chinese, not study chinese.
granvals
i'm Chinese too,hello everyone i love the web
janus
i'm a chinaese too
miyustar
I'm chinese and I do enjoy speaking mandarin.
However I must say writing is not my favourite part of my mother tongue and given that the official language of my country is english, my writing has deteriorated - it has been 4 years since I was in chinese lessons.
confess
I come from china,welcome to everyone!

大家好!
u16888
oh many chinese, amazing
u16888
wa oo many chinese here, amazing Shocked
Insanity
CHinese is a great langauge to learn, but it is very difficult. The whole tonal language aspect of it makes it difficult to learn for someone who isn't familiar with it. It's bad for people who are tone-deaf, like some friends of mine.
newberie
but its definitely hard to me.
it's fei chang nan
Bjarne_Byrnak
Learn Chinese via Internet TV.

You can watch Chinese lessons, live and/or archived, in various languages at cntv.cn, which is the official site of China Network Television, a branch of China's Central TV Station.

You can also get the news in Chinese, and a wealth of other programs.

In a previous version of this post, I mentioned cntv's P2P plugin. But that was a four years ago. They have made progress since then:

Today, the best way to watch live TV from cntv is to use their free stand-alone client. It is called Cbox. It offers, among other things, a way to fix the aspect ratio if needed.

The official download site is tv.cntv.cn (at the time of writing). The installation guide assumes that you understand the Chinese terms for Confirm, Cancel, Next, etc.

The old browser plugin still works, and may be used as an alternative way to watch some of the cntv channels in Chinese. However, it looks as if they want the plugin to be phased out. To find the relevant links in the interior of their site is not as easy as it used to be - and if you succeed, you are likely to be told in small white characters that Cbox would give a better experience.

And then there is the third way: The cntv.cn pages in English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic have a 'Direct' or 'Live' link. Click it, and you get live TV in Adobe Flash Player. A little experimenting may be needed with choice of browser and browser settings. Once again, Cbox may be more convenient.

At the time of writing, the channels in French, Spanish, and Russian provide live Chinese lessons. The channel in English doesn't, as far as I can see - but there are plenty of lessons in their archives.

I followed the Chinese lessons in Spanish and French for a long time. My listening skill in those languages got a boost, as a welcome side effect.

Good luck!
Bjarne Pagh Byrnak

(Edited September 23, 2015. Reason: Things had changed at cntv.)
okgogogo
hello i am from china
ztrt
forkei wrote:
soofree wrote:

I am a chinese too ~! Very Happy
loremar
ztrt wrote:
forkei wrote:
soofree wrote:

I am a chinese too ~! Very Happy

*sigh* Chinese spammers. Rolling Eyes
inuyasha
qtwaiter wrote:
I am a chinese too! Chiese people all over the world! I think the good way is use chinese, not study chinese.

You can't deny English is more widely used all around the world, although I consider Chinese as an extremely beautiful language. Very Happy
90dota
here i come ~ one more Chinese +1 ~ Laughing
90dota
Cliffer wrote:
chinese words are from drawing,don't think it too complecated.i can help you learn chinese. if you have painting basic,much better,would be easy to learn.

yes, more talking, more imagine, and more "drawing"! Twisted Evil
crazyfffan
If you want to learn "beautiful" Chinese I suggest you find a Taiwanese teacher or buy Taiwanese books, they're written in traditional script, which is at the peak of beauty. Simplified Chinese is a piece of crap.
infinitude
I agree that the pronunciation is the biggest barrier for Chinese learners. When speaking in Chinese, tones for every syllable in a sentence vary quite a lot...
supermanlovejan
Da jia hao....

chatchat
我是中国人.
I'm Chinese.
Je suis chinois.
わたしは 中国人 です.
LibreMichael
Feels like all of us chinese are gathering up in this post. Very Happy