FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Google is Still No.1 in Search Engine...

k_s_baskar
Hi all,

While watching my sites search engine refferals Google is referring 89%
here is the report

Google 89.06%
Yahoo 7.64%
MSN Search 1.65%
Live.com 1.48%
AOL Search 0.08%
AltaVista 0.04%
Search.com 0.04%

Is it indicates google is No.1 Search Engine in world?
takashiro
In China people use Baidu the most often. Perhaps because Baidu is native. But google and yahoo is also used in China.
In the world, perhaps google is still the best.
imagefree
if you see world as a whole, Google is dominating but yes in chine, baidu is one step ahead.
the-guide
It's really that Google is No.1 Search Engine in world and very best for surfer. However if you are an advertiser may be you must thinks twice for your ROI (Return Of Income). From my experience I've found that Google's surfers alway search to find information than search to buy (this is only my conviction please don't take my words as the truth may be I'm wrong). And it seem that Google's bidding price are higher than other about 2-3 times.

Sincerely'

R. Apichart
imagefree
the-guide wrote:
It's really that Google is No.1 Search Engine in world and very best for surfer. However if you are an advertiser may be you must thinks twice for your ROI (Return Of Income). From my experience I've found that Google's surfers alway search to find information than search to buy (this is only my conviction please don't take my words as the truth may be I'm wrong). And it seem that Google's bidding price are higher than other about 2-3 times.

Sincerely'

R. Apichart

110% agreed and from my point of view, MSN is the best place to advertise. You will get the best ever traffic from MSN but i dont know how MSN works and in the absense of any knowledge and experience i assume MSN must be costly because of providing excellent service.
sarbaraj101
Yes, google.com is still the top player in the market. But I prefer yahoo! and MSN searches.
I use google.com search very, very less.
teknotom
I only use Google basically because its interface is so damned easy! Very Happy
coreymanshack
k_s_baskar wrote:
Hi all,

While watching my sites search engine refferals Google is referring 89%
here is the report

Google 89.06%
Yahoo 7.64%
MSN Search 1.65%
Live.com 1.48%
AOL Search 0.08%
AltaVista 0.04%
Search.com 0.04%

Is it indicates google is No.1 Search Engine in world?

No argument about it, google is the best. Anyone that knows anything about SEO will vouche for that.
SlowWalkere
Just because Google is the most popular search engine doesn't mean it's the most effective or efficient. Think: Microsoft vs. Apple. Other search engines might be more effective, and it would be perfectly logical for any given person to choose a different one.

However, Google definitely has the largest market share in search engines. It has name recognition and mass appeal, like Microsoft does, so the average consumer will be most likely to use it.

I generally use Google myself, so I have nothing against it. Just pointing out that Popularity != Best.

- Walkere
davidj411
b/c ask.com is a search engine that can do semantic searches and actually help you find answers to your questions. unfortunately, many of the results pages are vendors (to me) and are trying to sell you on something. if only there were a site that would weed out all the vendors, we could get better results at ask.com. still, nobody mentioned it and i think it is a contender. look up "how to get pregnant" and mixed in the vendor results are a lot of good sites trying to help you...

just b/c google return 90 thousan results doesn;t mean any of them fit. it needs semantic logic.
djcaution
of course! google owns the internet! cmon like what other search engine has a RELIGION!? googlism 4 life
Legolas710
I have lots to do around the computer, and I have found out long ago that Google was the best for me. Look up in the top right hand corner of this page. There's google again! (Also "Google it" is getting to be a well used phrase in some places).
GB
Yeah, Google may be the most used, it is really simple and they offer so many free programs now too. It is interesting to watch their company grow. I haven't used it, but ask.com looks interesting from the commercials they play here in the U.S.A. I like the idea of a preview feature. However, how much bandwidth does that soak up? And from davidj's comments, it seems like the semantic search may come at a price.
the-guide
Hi all,

Here is last update (October) I've received. Very interesting!

75% of searches performed on Yahoo! in August resulted in a referral (someone clicking through to a website from the search results). Searches on Google result in a referral about 65% of the time and searches on MSN/Live result in a referral about 59% of the time. Based on those numbers you might determine that Yahoo! is more effective at driving traffic to your site.

According to the results of a blind poll created last week by the Google Operating System blog searchers chose Google, then Microsoft and Yahoo.

Participants tried out three unidentified search engines and voted on which one had the best results. The results: 51 percent of the more than 2,000 people who voted said Google had the best results. That was followed by 35 percent for Live Search (MSN) and 30 percent for Yahoo.

Comments posted on the Blog indicated people’s surprise about Microsoft being ahead of Yahoo and they were also surprised that Google's percentage wasn't higher.

Source : http://www.ecombuffet.com/SEO-Blog/
SlowWalkere
the-guide wrote:
Hi all,

Here is last update (October) I've received. Very interesting!

75% of searches performed on Yahoo! in August resulted in a referral (someone clicking through to a website from the search results). Searches on Google result in a referral about 65% of the time and searches on MSN/Live result in a referral about 59% of the time. Based on those numbers you might determine that Yahoo! is more effective at driving traffic to your site.

Some interesting information in there, but there's also some key information left out/not mentioned.

First, the referral rate is pretty worthless without the actual traffic rate.

Let's say that Google gets 100 searches a day while Yahoo gets 25. Even if Yahoo has a better referral rate, it will send far less visitors to your site - because it gets less traffic itself!

These are just arbitrary numbers, but I'm pretty sure that Google does have the lion's share of the market share - which means that as long as it has a competitive referral rate it is by far the best search engine to drive traffic to your site.

Second, the results of the blind poll show that there isn't a huge difference from one search engine to another. Google, Yahoo, and MSN are all quality search engines. People got paid a lot of money to build them and make sure that they return useful information.

What does make a difference - and is irrelevant in a blind poll - is what people think about the actual brand. Google is recognized universally as the search engine... even if it is no or slightly better than its competitors. Quality doesn't make up for brand recognition.

No matter how you dice it, Google is king. Maybe they deserve it, maybe they don't... but they have the greatest market share and the best branding. Unless Google really screws up or someone makes leaps and bounds in search engine technology, they won't be de-throned.

Think of it like Microsoft and Apple. Is MS better than Apple? I'd say they're comparable or Apple was better - but MS still has a far greater proportion of the market share and it will for years to come.

- Walkere
the-guide
Hi SlowWalkere

Thanks a lot for yours addition.
sambhav
So this shows that......google is the best search engine....and it is also the top company on the world wide web....Gmail, YouTube, Google Adsense.....etc are really very popular.
imagefree
Quote:
What does make a difference - and is irrelevant in a blind poll - is what people think about the actual brand. Google is recognized universally as the search engine... even if it is no or slightly better than its competitors. Quality doesn't make up for brand recognition.

Well the reality is that Google is the best search engine and is famous not because it was originated as search engine. There are hundreds of arguments that i can give in favour of Google but i think you should experience the quality of google yourself. Just try some google searches and make the same searches in yahoo, you will get the best and the most useful results in google while just 1 or 2 results me be useful in yahoo search (although they both were in search of the same query).

The place where google dominates yahoo is its fastest ever inovation that troubles yahoo.

The most powerful tool/thing behind google search is Pagerank. Anyone gets this pagerank for its search engine will make the best search engine. Just think what Alexa, Yahoo and many search engines (other than Google) are doing! they are just trying to compete google by using different bases (that are surely not as stronger as pagerank).

But this was just the one side of reality. Google has the power of its Pagerank, yahoo has its experience too. Any search result where pagerank fails (its possible that a you can enter a query that make pagerank totally useless) google's Programming and many other features come forword but it appears from my experience (i have no internal info) that yahoo is strong in some cases.

For Example:
Search Hello in both Google and Yahoo. (Results are almost similar. Neither yahoo nor google results are useless).

Search "Get me some Tutorials" in yahoo and Google. Yahoo results better than google. "Get me some tutorial" is a stupid keyword and i think is not used till now by any tutorial site, because only the most stupid user will use it who think Computer is a magic machine and so gives order like "get me this", "do me this" etc, so google algorithm that is primarily based on keywords failes ut yahoo succeded.

Edit: Important thing is that any site using this string as Keyword will definitely get first rank in google page results without any close compatitor. (Infact if you will search "Get me some Tutorials" in google after some weeks, you will see frihost.com in search results Very Happy )
the-guide
That's very interesting opinion "imagefree", but it hard to break the faithfulness in Google. Many of my friends told me that I have partiality to Google but honestly I think I didn't. In fact for many specific keywords, I found the solution I need from Yahoo and sometimes MSN faster than from Google. However it's only my own experience which might be different to other.
dac_nip
google, NO 1!
georgekalathil
Google is still the number 1 search engine....
shenyl
Google search engine alone, is huge, but they make themselves even bigger with a whole chain os other products that creates a very strong branding.

You have web services from Google (Map), Google Earth, and many others.

These together creates such a huge pool of "google internal" pages, that the google search engine has direct access to.

They are also priced VERY HIGHLY on the US Stock Exchange (may stock prices only affects - just joking).

Ha, Ha, here is my contribution.
ashish2005
Google search has been dominating the search engine world for quite a long time now. They are indeed the no. 1 search engine and they are far ahead of any other search engines. Google is also the no. 1 source of search engine traffic for my site. Out of all the search engine hits I receive from search engines 80% of them is from google and around 10% is from yahoo. This shows how much popular google search is.
regards
Google =the best! Of course, it has its no.1 searching engine in the world, with more and better classification of results than other search engines (Yahoo! at least).
Yet, I have my own website which cannot be searched through Google (my web had established for years). This may be the most disappointed thing I have for Google.
Overall, I think Google is still the best search engine in the world.

Rolling Eyes Regards!
imagefree
regards wrote:
Google=the best!
Of course, it has its no.1 searching engine in the world, with more and better classification of results than other search engines (Yahoo! at least).
Yet, I have my own website which cannot be searched through Google (my web had established for years). This may be the most disappointed thing I have for Google.
Overall, I think google is still the best search engine in the world.

Rolling Eyes Regards

your site muct be somewhere in the search results if

1) it has atleast 1 backlink over the web (no matter ho much your daily or monthly visiters are. ) or
2) you have submitted your site directly in search engine.

try searching through such query that has unique keywords (specially for your site).
shenyl
Hello to "regard".

I really think you should try getting into bookmarking - Google, and all the search engines are now really searching into tags from bookmarking sites and http://www.del.icio.us.com/ is the number 1 social bookmarking site.

Try it, within a week you will see interesting results on Google search for your site - based on the tags you add with the bookmarks. Link your site to your bookmarks, link your blog to your bookmarks.

I have seen good result for my site and I am encouraging you to try this.

Web 2.0 technologies is really about tags (blogs, wiki, podcasting, bookmarking, iTV, etc).

Hope you will find this helpful.
shenyl
Sorry to give the wrong URL for del.icio.us site.

It should be http://del.icio.us/.

My apology for the wrong URL.
yanille
well google has the most hits per day,
so yeah, it is
georgekalathil
Google is still the undisputable king of Search Engines...
jabapyth
Im fairly sure google is ahead.... Just check the Trend