FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Favorite Comedy Movie...

ganesh
Let us use this thread to identify everyone's favourite English comedy movie (can be from any era!), so that comedy movie lovers can catch up on what they might have missed.

( I searched for such a thread -- comedy, specifically, -- but no results turned up.. Pretty surprising since I expected many comedy movie aficionados in this forum Smile )
ganesh
Let me kick off this thread with my favorite English comedy movie.

My vote goes to What's Up Doc? (1972)

Here is the Wikipedia entry for the film : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_Up%2C_Doc%3F_%281972_film%29

The nice thing about the film is that the sequence of events get funnier as the movie progresses. When I watched the movie for the first time, half way into the film, I found myself laughing so hard that I ended up thinking that the director could never possibly match up to the laughter quotient in the later part of the film. I was pleasantly surprised when the climatic portions turned out to be even funnier! In short, the best comedy movie that I have ever seen!
jeremyslome
The two most recent hits are Hot Fuzz and Tristram Shandy: A ****** and Bull Story.

Yes, I realize both are British, but no a comedy need not be British to be brilliant. That is how we got Caddyshack.

Hot Fuzz is a simply amazing parody ridiculing all crazy cop films from Point Break to Bad Boys. An emphasis is put on the absurdity of how many fire arms exist and the lack of paperwork.

A pure joy.

As for Tristram Shandy: this film is perhaps the most brilliant comedy in years. It aptly follows the lines of a Charlie Kaufman existential film while feeling like a full length episode of the BBC's The Office.

Brydon and Coogan are brilliant.
jeremyslome
Oh but again, let's not forget Caddyshack.

Murray, Dangerfield and Chase. Enough said.
David_Pardy
What about feature-length standup routines on DVD?

But as far as movies go... Well... That's a hard call since I'm quite picky and don't find sexualised or toilet humour very funny most of the time.

Of the top of my head though, I did enjoy Happy Gilmore and The Whole Nine Yards and I'm not really a fan of Sandler.
Blu_Spykz
English comedies : Bridget Jones' Diary rules the roost for me. Colin Firth and Hugh Grant are comic genius's

Failing that... ANY comedy with either of those gents in would hands down (for me... :=]) win
p0ison
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for make Benefit glorious nation of Kazaksthan [2006]best movie ever!!! i think everyone who saw it, laughed at it. even my dad did!!!

the best part was with the icecream truck and the bear and the music.....funny!!!
ftv_flung
I've always loved the original American Pie movies (1-3)
HDirtwater
My favorite comedies are (in no particular order)

A Fish Called Wanda
Caddyshack
Airplane
Animal House
History of the World Part 1
Any Monty Python movie
greatfire
i love harold and kumar go to white castle
Indyan
p0ison wrote:
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for make Benefit glorious nation of Kazaksthan [2006]best movie ever!!! i think everyone who saw it, laughed at it. even my dad did!!!

the best part was with the icecream truck and the bear and the music.....funny!!!

That nude wrestling scene! Oh god!!! I was literraly laughing my a** out.
Another great scene is in the beginning. Borat goes and smootches a gal. And then he says "This is my sister. No 4 prostitute in all of Kazaksthan".
Harold and Kumar was also good and its sequel is coming soon.
tenpin
my all time favourite: Mind Your Language.

old british comedy =D

~tenpin
Kelcey
I liked the first ace ventura a lot. Nowadays though I don't find it funny.
Insanity
The Rush Hour series are an awesome combination of comedy and action, so it's one of my favorites.