FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me choose a font! Please!

patasarriba
I am making an online jewelry store with two friends, and we need a font for the logo. I want something that's not curvy or script-y or fancy (we sell jewelry with seeds and all natural materials, etc., no gold or anything) but not to casual, kind of art-y but not too weird. The font would probably have to go with a Pre-Columbian design in the logo. I'm spending way too much time looking for fonts online and haven't found anything "perfect" yet. Help!
Relentless
Have you tried a font called

Edwardian Script ITC (open Type) ?

If you have not got this font I will email it to you.

Hope it works well for you.

Have you got a website for the jewlery store? would be nice to see.

Dan
brilliantbeauty
Um, I'm not really sure if I get exactly what you mean, and a link would be very helpful, but have you considered the Aquiline Fonts
{name here}
Relentless wrote:
Have you tried a font called

Edwardian Script ITC (open Type) ?

If you have not got this font I will email it to you.

Hope it works well for you.

Have you got a website for the jewlery store? would be nice to see.

Dan

Don't tell me that's a cursive font. You can't read those things. Plus, she asked for something that isn't curvy or scripty.

I think that brilliantbeauty's font might be good, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. It doesn't seem like it.

Mattisse ITC might be a good choice.
nivinjoy
Hey guys i had designed a website using a template downloaded freom a free template providing site..At the position of the site header it was an image...So i changed this image and wrote the site name using the font Edwardian Script ITC.....and i uploaded the page to my direct domain account...

I was using Microsoft Frontpage 2003 on my personal computer and whenver i accessed my site from my home everything seemed well,that is i could see the site header written in the same font.....Then suddenly i could find out that whenever i accessed the website from other computers in cyber cafes etc. i couldn't see the site header written in this font.....Instead it was written in some other normal font...So when asked one of my friends told me that i might have something to do with the CSS..So i checked the Css and added this font to a place where some font names were written....Even then the same thing is happening...So i changed the font to Monotype Corsiva which is now seen in site when accessed from anywhere.....

So what should i do now inorder to see the site header written in Edwardian Script ITC...I want that font beacause i just love that particular font....!!
{name here}
nivinjoy wrote:

So what should i do now inorder to see the site header written in Edwardian Script ITC...I want that font beacause i just love that particular font....!!

Not every computer is going to have the same particular fonts. That will never happen. You've got three fonts to work with on your main site:
1. serif
2. sans-serif
3. monospace
Any other fonts risk not showing up and thus misrendering your site. Plus, they're usually hard to read and make your site look like it's just some poor website made in FrontPage and just about as good as a MySpace profile. If you want that in your logo, you should make it on an image using a quality image editor with Antialias like GIMP, Photoshop, or Fireworks.
patasarriba
Thanks everyone. I definitely hadn't seen the Aquiline fonts before, I'm thinking about using it now. I'd just have to write everything in all lower-case because the capital letters are a bit to formal-looking, I'm afraid. Now I have a new question, it's so simple that I doubt I need to start a new thread for it because surely everyone knows this except me...how the hell do you make your background color transparent in Adobe Photoshop!!?????!!!?? I downloaded a trial of the latest version, and when I searched for "transparency" in help it was all about matte colors and the like, it didn't tell you how to just select your background color in the eyedropper tool and make it transparent. Somebody PLEASE tell me how to do this, I'm dying here! Thanks!

Your technology-unsavvy friend,
Sandra
Fuzzy-Duck
patasarriba wrote:
how the hell do you make your background color transparent in Adobe Photoshop!!?????!!!??

Hi Sandra,

It's quite straightforward once you've done it a few times, but like with everything it's tricky until you get the hang of it! The first thing you've got to get your head round is that you can't 'fill' with a 'transparent colour' as such, but that you can simply cut bits out of your chosen image so that when you save it they will effectively become your transparent areas.

If you use the magic want tool in photoshop, or any other select tool of your choice to define the areas of your image you want to be transparent, you can just cut (ctrl-c or edit->cut) the selected areas out of you image and whatever layers are beneath will be visible. If there's nothing behind, the area will be transparent. If you feather your select areas, the resultant fade to transparent will mirror this - easy!

Alternatively, if you're starting with a blank image, simply remember that where you don't draw or fill, these areas will remain transparent (the chequerboard background if it's a new image).

When saving your image, always save it as a gif or, more effectively, as a png graphic. These options will be available to you whether you select 'save as...' or 'save for web', although save for web gives you more options to optimise the file sizes as you become more familiar with photoshop.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
fuzzy
patasarriba
Grr...I was still hoping that I could just select a friggin color and make it transparent, but this still makes things a LOT easier. Thank you so much!
Fuzzy-Duck
It's quite alright! It takes a bit of getting used to as I said but you'll be fine with a bit of practice...

One thing I forgot to mention is that, if you really need to, there is a way to kind of make a transparent colour, using the Save for Web... dialogue.

You reminded me when you said about selecting a colour and making it transparent, I forgot that you can do this but only during the save process. See, if you have an existing image and it's on, say, a red background, if you open it up and, when you've done editing, go to File->Save for Web...

On the left will be previews of the image, and on the right various options. You've probably used it before but if you select to save it as a gif or PNG, then below this you check the 'transparency' box too.

Then, and this is the magic bit, in the drop-down box marked Matte, simply select the colour you wish to be transparent, in this example, red. Or you can use the eyedropper tool to click the colour on the image, like in other parts of Photoshop.

You can play around with the more advanced options if you want, then once it's saved, the red part will be transparent, just as if you'd filled it with a 'transparent colour'! Photoshop will even work out the fade to transparency if the image need it, neat eh?

Sorry I forgot to mention this before, I hope it will still be of help to you!

Cheers,
fuzzy
patasarriba
Ah, that's better. That's exactly what I was thinking.