FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Limitless Potential - NIN Album from Open Sourced Tracks

eznet
Thought some people might find this a bit interesting:

Earlier this year, Nine Inch Nails (NIN) released tracks from their most recent album, Year Zero, as source files. The files were released in GarageBand/Logic file formats for editing by fans with compatible programs. 9InchNails.com, a community fan site, hosted a remix competition for songs based on the album over the last several months which lead to the release of a free 2 'CD' set consisting of the 'winners' from the contest.

The album contains 21 tracks in all and there are several on there that are quite good. If you are a NIN fan, you should definitely check this out.

For more information on this and on how to get it, check my blog...
deStructuralized
Not that groundbreaking given that Jay-Z did it with The Black Album a few years ago.

Usually these sorts of contests have regulations that stipulate you can't use the provided samples for any purpose beyond the contest itself. In other words, after the contest ends your remixes constitute unauthorized use.

Still, this is pretty cool and I have to give props to NIN for putting their music out there like that. It's a very effective viral strategy; within a couple of months I guarantee that the web will be flooded with work from different producers.