FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remixing

bluffmango
Remixing

As known by known of us is adding some extra beats etc. to existing tracks.

But Surprisingly,one can sell a remixed track by his/her own name after remixing it.
Now let me explain the loophole (if i am wrong please point out in your Replies) what if someone just adds some beats to a soundtrack,in principle it would be remixed and some one can sell it under his own name,so in this way people can share copyrighted music...

Comment about Your Ideas & the Concept of Remixing...
deStructuralized
There's no legal loophole here, because the original artist is due royalties if you use his track for the basis of anything. For the most part, courts take how close the new song is to the original into consideration, so if you're just throwing drums onto a soundtrack, you'd better expect to pay a pretty penny.

Of course, copyright law--especially as it pertains to the world of music--tends not to be heavily enforced when it comes to artists with less buzz. Managers know that an artist that isn't making large amounts of money will have NOTHING to offer as far as royalty money goes, which means taking action wouldn't be worth the legal fees. So, yes, you could theoretically try to sell remixes, but I've always found it better to distribute them for free to build up a buzz for your more original work.

If you're not making very much money but still getting a lot of buzz, you can still expect a cease and desist order to come your way. See: Dangermouse & The Grey Album.