FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Any one here made a profession game?





kicy
Any one here making a professional game? I'd like to see if there are any successful homemade games that pay off (beside the feeling of accomplishment:)

If so what kind of game is it?
Multiplayer features?
How long have you worked on it?
Did you work with a team?
coreymanshack
kicy wrote:
Any one here making a professional game? I'd like to see if there are any successful homemade games that pay off (beside the feeling of accomplishment:)

If so what kind of game is it?
Multiplayer features?
How long have you worked on it?
Did you work with a team?


I started to one time, worked 2 months on it and was barely finished. I worked alone, but had someone else draw some art for me. It was a browser based game.
Tristiano77
kicy wrote:
Any one here making a professional game? I'd like to see if there are any successful homemade games that pay off (beside the feeling of accomplishment:)

If so what kind of game is it?
Multiplayer features?
How long have you worked on it?
Did you work with a team?


making games is VERY hard, especially if they are web based. i make games, but nothing commercial. i actually prefer to make applications because they are easier and more useful, plus there is not as much hard core competition. you can make an app that will do pretty much anything, but all games are just for fun.
catscratches
kicy wrote:
Any one here making a professional game? I'd like to see if there are any successful homemade games that pay off (beside the feeling of accomplishment:)

If so what kind of game is it?
Multiplayer features?
How long have you worked on it?
Did you work with a team?

Professional games doesn't need to pay of Wink Actually, if a game sells well or not doesn't depend much on the game. It's more on the marketing. I've made some games but nothing commersial yet. The longest game is well, I dunno. Have some.

Nightmare:
Top-down "horror"
1 year soon
Yes, Catscratches Productions. We are 4 persons

The Ant:
Platformer / Splatter-shooter Razz
2-3 months
Death Match over internet
Worked with another person
Sparky07
Im becoming a games designer when im older, just started a college diploma for IT before I can go into university to study it. I would love to be able to make a game that is a success, it would be one of the proudest days of my life Smile
coreymanshack
Sparky07 wrote:
Im becoming a games designer when im older, just started a college diploma for IT before I can go into university to study it. I would love to be able to make a game that is a success, it would be one of the proudest days of my life Smile



A game designer does none of the programming at all, nor graphic design.
catscratches
That depends on whether it's a big or small company. Or if you even start your own.
kicy
yea, but the reason people become programmers are to design games right?

I'm currently working on a turnbased strategy rpg, so far i have
*movement
*menu system (90%)
*inventory system
*skills system (30%)

Depending if I'm not distracted, I'll finish these, start the battle system, make level builder(not to be released) then probably release a demo. Smile
catscratches
kicy wrote:
yea, but the reason people become programmers are to design games right?
Not always. I don't like designing games. I like programming the blood system Twisted Evil
kicy
I'm picturing all your games are full of red particles Razz
catscratches
Nonono, not particles. (as in GM particles) I use another way (not objects of course) since they need collision and so (splattering on walls and floors and so).
Whong
Tried making games, but I just arn't am not the programmer type of a guy, I guess... Sad
catscratches
Well, it depends on what you start using. I tried Java early (when I was like 10) and well, luckily I continued anyways =) A good start is RPG Maker or Game Maker. (RPG Maker is quite an unnecessary step though).
ddukki
I use RPG Maker now and then to fiddle with ideas. It's really easy to use, and all the basics are there. No programming experience required.

Right now, I'm working on a parody (again ... I tend to not have original ideas). Not really sure if I should post it up somewhere or not. It's more of a personal project.
ForceRun
Nope but I have played all the best on for PC!
isledepoba
I am currently developing a browser-based MMORPG. I'll post some scrennies later. It will be set in medieval times with some modern day touches
kicy
ddukki wrote:

Right now, I'm working on a parody (again ... I tend to not have original ideas). Not really sure if I should post it up somewhere or not. It's more of a personal project.


Don't post anything until you finish at least most of it, otherwise you tend to get negative comments Sad
catscratches
Well, negative comments are the best ones. As long as they say what to improve, not only "It sucks! LAWL!" or something like that. I usually give very critical comments on what to improve rather than what's good. Another thing I noticed is that it is much easier to focus on the flaws than the good things.
roboguyspacedude
I haven't actually made any original games yet, but I made pong a month ago: http://dhost.info/ygd/fun/pong/
vonboy
well I made a game with game maker. some sort of call it an unoriginal mario clone, but when i showed it to some kids at school, they thought it was cool. i have it on my site (link in sig) if you wanna try it out.

EDIT: and carscraches, what game is you avatar from or did you just found somewhere or what?
catscratches
I made it in MSPaint Razz But the quality is terrible (MS Paint's JPG Quality) Have a better one but I'm too lazy to convert it to JPG (I know, only takes some seconds but anyway...).

Anyways, I've been working very badly at the games front lately. Been working on websites and design jobs instead, but recently I've been cosidering the Ogre3D Engine for C++. http://www.ogre3d.org

EDIT: Woo, worked with PNG.
LostOverThere
catscratches wrote:
I made it in MSPaint Razz But the quality is terrible (MS Paint's JPG Quality) Have a better one but I'm too lazy to convert it to JPG (I know, only takes some seconds but anyway...).

Anyways, I've been working very badly at the games front lately. Been working on websites and design jobs instead, but recently I've been cosidering the Ogre3D Engine for C++. http://www.ogre3d.org

EDIT: Woo, worked with PNG.


Catscratches, no offence, but your games are not professional games. I do believe kicy was more asking about games like Tremulous or GunZ.
catscratches
So what definies a professional game? The quality of it? Then there are many commersial big-company games that suck. The money spent in it? So there are no good games that doesn't spend much money on them? A game made by professionals? Then when do you become a professional? After making a certain amount of games or what? Being working for ** years long?
Teddy1
The graphics isn't what makes the game, What makes the game is the plot, how well it works together and how long someone can play it and not get bored. That is what makes the game. They don't have to be the best graphics although that does help. But take Grand Theft Auto 1 for example, The graphics on that are totally crud but still is a fun game to play. Look at pong omg that was the latest crazy back in the 60's i bet. Yet isn't the best of graphics. I agree with you catscratches, I would like them to tell us what defines a professional game to their standards. So please tell us.
Loghete
A profession game:

A game that was made without the developers getting any kind of joy in the process.
Just looked it up in a dictionary.


Wait no, that was a joke Razz
web_harman
hmmmmmmm i used to love video games and computer games right from my childhood.... but perhaps i feel that your question is a very daring one that has anybobdy made game a profession ....

it will a lot of guts i think to make games as profession
kicy
LostOverThere wrote:
catscratches wrote:
I made it in MSPaint Razz But the quality is terrible (MS Paint's JPG Quality) Have a better one but I'm too lazy to convert it to JPG (I know, only takes some seconds but anyway...).

Anyways, I've been working very badly at the games front lately. Been working on websites and design jobs instead, but recently I've been cosidering the Ogre3D Engine for C++. http://www.ogre3d.org

EDIT: Woo, worked with PNG.


Catscratches, no offence, but your games are not professional games. I do believe kicy was more asking about games like Tremulous or GunZ.


I'm talking about successful games like super mario war, games that havn't been "thrown" together or made by someone with lots of experience in game making.
ArmenianUnit
Ive Tried To Make a "MapleStory" Simulator....
kicy
I wouldn't imagine maplestory being that hard to make.. basic platform engine, rpg interface, inventory system, network stuff.. stuff thats has already been done, it would be time consuming. Well anyways anyone else has any comments.

(i have a feeling i made a lot of grammical errors lol)
william
I have made quite a few games. Most of the ones that I actually finished are 2D. I started working on several 2D RPGs and scrolling shooters, but later quit. 3D, I've started a couple, finished I think, one. Right now, I'm working on a 3D flight game. Although...I don't really know if I'll get bored and quit...it is possible. It's actually pretty simple. In addition to that, I'll also be working on some DS homebrew games. All the games I make are usually just for fun, as it's just a hobby. I almost always upload the games I finish to one of my sites. I don't intend on using any of them for a profit...even though I could.
Legolas710
I, too, have made many games. None of which are commercial. Rolling Eyes

I could probably make one though, but I would need a good idea, and I would need to put alot of effort into it. Multiplayer isn't that challenging once you realize how it works and how you can program it. I have yet to make an online game worth mentioning, but I find multiplayer things rather easy nevertheless.

Also, I'm planning to make games as a proffession, but I need to find or make a good company first.
catscratches
Multiplayer IS hard. Not in programming but to make it balanced and good in the game design way. Level design and so is 100 times as important in Multiplayer than in Singleplayer.
Kelcey
I've made one game before... but yeah, not professional.
kicy
catscratches wrote:
Multiplayer IS hard. Not in programming but to make it balanced and good in the game design way. Level design and so is 100 times as important in Multiplayer than in Singleplayer.


Actually, it depends on what type of game your making. A multiplayer shoot em up is a lot easier then a multiplayer rpg/strategy game (as opposed to the non-multiplayer versions)

Quote:
I have made quite a few games. Most of the ones that I actually finished are 2D. I started working on several 2D RPGs and scrolling shooters, but later quit. 3D, I've started a couple, finished I think, one. Right now, I'm working on a 3D flight game. Although...I don't really know if I'll get bored and quit...it is possible. It's actually pretty simple. In addition to that, I'll also be working on some DS homebrew games. All the games I make are usually just for fun, as it's just a hobby. I almost always upload the games I finish to one of my sites. I don't intend on using any of them for a profit...even though I could.


If you could point me to where I can learn how to develop ds homebrew (or other systems) , I'd appriciate it very much.
catscratches
kicy wrote:
catscratches wrote:
Multiplayer IS hard. Not in programming but to make it balanced and good in the game design way. Level design and so is 100 times as important in Multiplayer than in Singleplayer.


Actually, it depends on what type of game your making. A multiplayer shoot em up is a lot easier then a multiplayer rpg/strategy game (as opposed to the non-multiplayer versions)
Yes, but even a simple game can be hard to make multiplayer. Cause it needs to be perfectly balanced and still you need it to feature much content so that the players won't get bored. Seen from the programming view though, multiplayer is much easier than singleplayer as singleplayer most often features very advanced AI that is very ahrd to make. Also physics can get hard but they apell for both singleplayer and multiplayer.
Related topics
Battlefield 2 - BETA mode lol
Emulation
WOW
Guild Wars
Ore no Ryomi (gamemaker takeoff of psx game: ore no ryouri)
Should .hack have an real online version?
My game
[OFFICIAL] World Of Warcraft - No new topics about this
Favorite Castlevania Game?
The Game creation topic! - Share experience - Find resources
Game Ideas
Outrage over Virginia Tech game
Prison Riot (FREE GAME)
If you could make a game...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.