FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What annoys you?





GB
So my boss just wrote an email saying that he wants us to redesign our website and make it look like someone elses website. This annoyed me, why would we want to be like everyone else? Also, we already have a new website just about to roll out. Ack!

It got me thinking. What annoys YOU about working as a professional designer today? What is the most unreasonable request you've gotten?
Billy Hill
GB wrote:


It got me thinking. What annoys YOU about working as a professional designer today? What is the most unreasonable request you've gotten?


I hate it when I ask people to make a change for me and they think they have some divine right as a designer to tell me what I should have and what I shouldn't have, and they somehow have a right to be annoyed even though I sign their paycheck. Rolling Eyes
truespeed
Going off topic,how do you manage to have the same amount of points as your frih? I always thought there was a 45 point threshold.

Quote:

Billy Hill

533.18 Points

533.17 FRIH$
Billy Hill
truespeed wrote:
Going off topic,how do you manage to have the same amount of points as your frih? I always thought there was a 45 point threshold.

Quote:

Billy Hill

533.18 Points

533.17 FRIH$


I don't have hosting. I'm here for the lively conversations and to spread truth.
{name here}
truespeed wrote:
Going off topic,how do you manage to have the same amount of points as your frih? I always thought there was a 45 point threshold.

Quote:

Billy Hill

533.18 Points

533.17 FRIH$

So thats why I can't hold 60 frih$ despite the system never decreasing that drastically before that numeral.

That aside, I'm a freelance ameteur helping several webmasters. The biggest issue I have with one is he refuses to use even a very light content management system and must use his own which he programmed (but I can't work with it because it's techniques look very deprecated). I remember another issue with a webmaster but I forget.
irishmark
Billy Hill wrote:

I hate it when I ask people to make a change for me and they think they have some divine right as a designer to tell me what I should have and what I shouldn't have, and they somehow have a right to be annoyed even though I sign their paycheck. Rolling Eyes


You are right though. I am working on a video project for a high profile client and even though i know the choices they are making are bad ones, and even though i have advised them to do other things, they still want it done a certain way.

At the end of the day they are the client and they are paying me. I will produce what they ask for as that is what they are paying for. I will however also endeavour to cover all bases should they decide to change their minds when they see the final product. - This is what usually happens. Laughing
littlegiant
GB wrote:
...What annoys YOU about working as a professional designer today?...


A lack of respect for expertise. Especially when it comes to web hosting and SEO. I steadfastly advised a former client against attempting to set up thier own web server and running their web site off that but they went ahead anyway. Final result? They got hacked.
kerryworkman
irishmark wrote:
Billy Hill wrote:

I hate it when I ask people to make a change for me and they think they have some divine right as a designer to tell me what I should have and what I shouldn't have, and they somehow have a right to be annoyed even though I sign their paycheck. Rolling Eyes


You are right though. I am working on a video project for a high profile client and even though i know the choices they are making are bad ones, and even though i have advised them to do other things, they still want it done a certain way.

At the end of the day they are the client and they are paying me. I will produce what they ask for as that is what they are paying for. I will however also endeavour to cover all bases should they decide to change their minds when they see the final product. - This is what usually happens. Laughing


I agree with you both that it is ultimately the clients decision, and you should always to try to cater to their requests. But sometimes it is hard to let go of something you put your creativity and hard work into, especially when your name and reputation is tied to the finished project. You hired me instead of any number of other designers out there, why not let me do what I am being paid for? If you don't care about the opinion/creativity of your graphic designer, why bother hiring one? Go to almost any copy shop and hire someone that isn't trained as a designer to do what you want. Just because you have an idea of what you want, it does not make it good. The job of a good designer isn't just to cater to clients but also lead them (sometimes kicking and screaming) toward quality design. My teacher once said "try not to pollute the world with more bad design" and that is what I try to strive for, although, I can't survive on ideals alone (so, on the end the one with the money still makes the rules).
Related topics
What annoys you
RATE DA PIC
Anyone play Habbo Hotel or Runescape?
Booting time
An anime wallpaper made by me, feedback welcome
REAL music
SOFTWARE OR MANUAL
The best Punk-Rock group?
HTML editord
Just one thing
Oh Gods please stop it!
my another blog
Which CSI (f any )is your favourite?
How to access CPanel/DirectAdmin from behind a firewall
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Design Tips

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.