FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Carbon Footprint





truespeed
There has been a lot of stuff in the media recently about carbon footprints,what with "earth day" and the recently aired "dumped" programme on channel 4,but what is a carbon footprint,and how large is yours?

Find out by Checking your footprint here

Its done per household,and this is my result.

Bockman
Won't be putting mine as an image, but ended up with a total 7.24 tonnes/year (0.88 / 0.5 / 5.86 respectively)

You should start thinking about this though, considering your national average is 4.48 tonnes/year... (i know I am and I'm trying to cut on my travel because I always use my car to do everything. (adding both cars mileages, i do over 20 000 miles/year)

As for the household, it's a pretty good result considering my apartment is 2 years old

Be Well Cool
coolclay
Sounds like most people are around the same amount, I got 7.62 tonnes.
Bockman
coolclay, yes, but with very different results. I got a massive waste on travel, while truespeed's shows the bigger volume on the home section.

Be Well Cool
Jinx
Here's one for the U.S. - http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/emissions/ind_calculator.html

It's not as nifty as the one linked above, though.
Nameless
I don't know about you guys, but I very, very, very much hate the term 'carbon footprint'. Really. I don't want to reduce my carbon emmisions so we don't all die horrifically from 'climate change', but because pollution, literally, stinks.
eday2010
I actually used another site, and I was below the amount to be "carbon neutral". And since everyone wants you to be "carbon neutral", it means I have to start making more CO2. Because if you aren't "carbon neutral", you're a bad person.

I find this whole thing with "carbon neutral" and carbon footprints a big load of sh!t. All of a sudden there are companies that will take $20 from you to plant a tree to help offset your carbon output, even though for $20 you could have 32 trees planted. So they are just there to make money off people's stupidity and gullibility about global warming. I'm too smart for that crap Smile
tony
Bockman wrote:
Won't be putting mine as an image, but ended up with a total 7.24 tonnes/year (0.88 / 0.5 / 5.86 respectively)

You should start thinking about this though, considering your national average is 4.48 tonnes/year... (i know I am and I'm trying to cut on my travel because I always use my car to do everything. (adding both cars mileages, i do over 20 000 miles/year)

As for the household, it's a pretty good result considering my apartment is 2 years old

Be Well Cool


ya; it is good to think about it i think too.. for me, the travel is not so much that issue. but concurrently, i find my home appliance use is!
Jaan
I got 15 tonnes a year! I was quite surprised as I employ many planet saving tactics like dumping chemicals on animals and chemical bombing.
wylieconlon
eday2010 wrote:
I find this whole thing with "carbon neutral" and carbon footprints a big load of sh!t. All of a sudden there are companies that will take $20 from you to plant a tree to help offset your carbon output, even though for $20 you could have 32 trees planted. So they are just there to make money off people's stupidity and gullibility about global warming. I'm too smart for that crap


I agree. These companies are abusing our consciences, for profit. However bad they are, though, they definitely do make a difference, especially for those that want to help the environment without actually needing to do any work. So even though they are taking advantage of many, it does have a good impact on the environment overall.
spinanicky
I am currently studying engineering and I was told that comercial and industrial co2 output outweighs consumer output by far. In that sense, we dont really need to worry to much, its more like the massive ships and airplanes that need to cut back. However when you think about it what are we going to do. No matter what humans need transportation, yes we can cut back slightly but one way or another people/things have to get from A to B and thus the real way to cut back is to make technology more available to the public allowing us to utilize more efficient cells. The problem... the price.

half of one of my engineering lectures right there Very Happy
J-Evil
My household uses 7.87 tonnes a year and were a family of 7 people so theres probably something I did wrong on that lol...
eggg
eday2010 wrote:
I find this whole thing with "carbon neutral" and carbon footprints a big load of sh!t. All of a sudden there are companies that will take $20 from you to plant a tree to help offset your carbon output, even though for $20 you could have 32 trees planted. So they are just there to make money off people's stupidity and gullibility about global warming. I'm too smart for that crap Smile


The global warming problem itself stems from the desire of corporations to make money regardless of human cost. Obviously, as soon as "green" ideas become profitable, they're going to jump on the wagon and try to make their bucks. That doesn't make the idea of carbon footprints a "big load of shit."

And re: industry vs. personal carbon output... Yes, shipping and industry in general is much more the culprit than the individual. However, it's the consumer lifestyle that's causing all that junk to be produced and shipped all over the world, and it's in everyone's power to check out of that lifestyle. Buy local produce. Grow what food you can, without artificial fertilizers. Don't buy things you don't need. Don't fly. Do bicycle. Do ride buses. Do convert a diesel engine to run on vegetable oil, like it was meant to! Do pay attention as you save ridiculous amounts of money.

My score was 3.56, and that was counting my family's house. It would be lower if I were in an apartment. I don't own a car. I bike or bus everywhere I go. I do this despite three partial tears in the ACLs in my left knee, so I'm pretty sure the majority of people could do the same. I'm much healthier and happier for it. I would suggest it to everybody for their own sake, if not for the planet's. Cars are just flat bad for people, our bodies, and our pocketbooks.
jipmerite
I guess, for all the talk about global warming and carbon footprints, not a lot of people will want to give up the modern conveniences. It's human nature. And there are enough evidence out there to show that maybe things aren't as bad as it seems. Some studies show that overall, the earths temperature hasn't really gone up by that much at all.
raine dragon
I got : Your CO2 Result for your home is 6.79 tonnes per year.

But I started the 2nd part, and it was a bit of a pain. It wouldn't let me say I had more then 3 desktop computers. Granted, having 9 is odd, but still.. why only 3?

Your CO2 Result for your appliances is 3.92 tonnes per year.

Your CO2 Result for your travel is 2.65 tonnes per year.


------
Your CO2 result is 13.36 tonnes per year

Your target footprint total is 10.69 tonnes per year

eeeps >.<;
Donutey
I wonder how much the postcode changes it, seeing as I'm in the US.
meet in rio
I think postcode must have a lot to do with it, because my individual result was somewhere near 2.7 and I'm sure I'm not that green.

My household emissions were marginally higher than average (student house with many rooms, poor insulation, etc.), but my appliance emissions were negligable (this is a load of bull, because of course I use a laundrette etc. - I just don't own the machines) and my travel emissions were even lower because I am lucky enough to be able to walk/cycle pretty much everywhere.

I'm not very impressed with the assessment, really: I'm sure I must churn out more CO2 than they say.
[FuN]goku
Heres My Results, And i just realised that , that site is a uk site XD

Quote:

Your CO2 result is 7.83 tonnes per year

Your target footprint total is 6.26 tonnes per year

The national average total is 4.47 tonnes per year

Your Carbon Footprint
Home - 2.76
Appliances - 0.78
Travel - 4.29

Target Footprint
Home - 2.21
Appliances - 0.62
Travel - 3.43

National Average
Home - 2.00
Appliances - 0.68
Travel - 1.79
hunnyhiteshseth
I got

Your CO2 Result for your home is 1.21 tonnes per year.

Your CO2 Result for your appliances is 0.69 tonnes per year.

Your CO2 Result for your travel is 3.3 tonnes per year.

Your CO2 result is 5.19 tonnes per year



Considering that it is for whole household, I think its pretty decent.
truespeed
I agree with a lot of what has been said above,although the individual can make a difference,its the big companies that cause the most damage,simple things like reducing the amount of packaging on products can easily be done and make a big difference to land fill sites,supermarkets could buy more local produce,to save on lorries travelling hundreds of miles to deliver some eggs.

Reducing the carbon footprint of the planet cant be done by individuals,it needs to start first with goverment,and then with the large companies,only then can anything you or i do,make a difference.
unknownc1c
so what exactly is a carbon footprint? is it how much CO2 our houses use?
Bockman
truespeed wrote:

Reducing the carbon footprint of the planet cant be done by individuals,it needs to start first with goverment,and then with the large companies,only then can anything you or i do,make a difference.


Actually, i disagree with this point of view. Of course i agree that both governments and Companies should start NOW reducing CO2 emissions (as well as other things), but that does not mean WE can't start right away at home.

I hope to be able to teach my son in an ecological way (won't go into extremes though). He may in the future be in the position to help change this on other situations (at work for example).

I don't think waiting for others to do it before we start doing it ourselves is the right approach.

Be Well Cool
truespeed
Bockman wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Reducing the carbon footprint of the planet cant be done by individuals,it needs to start first with goverment,and then with the large companies,only then can anything you or i do,make a difference.


Actually, i disagree with this point of view. Of course i agree that both governments and Companies should start NOW reducing CO2 emissions (as well as other things), but that does not mean WE can't start right away at home.

I hope to be able to teach my son in an ecological way (won't go into extremes though). He may in the future be in the position to help change this on other situations (at work for example).

I don't think waiting for others to do it before we start doing it ourselves is the right approach.

Be Well Cool


I didn't mean we shouldn't do anything,i meant individuals like myself wont make any difference until the governments and large industries do their bit,its my fault , i didn't make it as clear as i could of.
Related topics
Emirates work on first zero-carbon city
Why can't we make alternative fuel vehicles a priority?
Plastic Bags (Sobey's, Wal-Mart etc)
Biggest Environmental Threat.
Bottle of water anyone?
Google vs Microsoft
New York
Save the Planet: Have Fewer Kids
Human Power?
Reflections on the US by a citizen
What's your role in global warming?
Left-wing Nut Shoots up Discovery Channel Offices
What do you think of the challenger?
Pollution, your views?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.