FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sunny Afternoon

Saysior
Ray Davies is pretty well known for his ironic and dry social commentary, but most of the time I can get what he's saying. One song I don't really know what to do with is "Sunny Afternoon." This was a pretty big song back in the day, so I'm sure some of you have heard it. All that I really get out of it is that the narrator thinks he has it far worse than he really has it, but knowing Davies, it must have some far deeper meaning. I get that he was "cruel" to his wife, but doesn't really see it as important, but what is the real message of the song? If anyone can help me out, I'd much appreciate it. There isn't a right way to interpret art, so you're opinions don't have to be anyone's other than your own.

Thanks.
SonLight
Spoiled rotten, whining, conniving character who deserves all the problems he's making such a fuss about, and is obviously still much better off than he deserves.

Of course, his exact point about who this character he portrays is and how he got to be that way, is subject to interpretation. Are we all that rotten, or is it only a select few?

PS. I've never heard the song performed, just was curious enough to go look up the lyrics. The musical style would no doubt suggest more about exactly what kind of satire he had in mind.