FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Access different Database with PhP

Billy Hill
I have a joomla site on my root with a wordpress blog in /blog. I'd like to be able to pull some data out of the wordpress blog and use it in my joomla site.

More specifically, I want to take a count of entries in certain categories and display them. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance! Wink
Diablosblizz
I don't know how both software works, but you can use mysql_query's to select them. Would that work?
Fire Boar
Yes, in the mysql_connect statement you simply specify a different database - specifically the stuff in the wordpress blog.

However, I'd recommend you have the same user assigned to both databases. That way, you can do something like this:

Code:
// Start of your code...
mysql_select_db('wordpressdatabase');

// do stuff with the database and then...

mysql_select_db('joomladatabase');

Alternatively, you could phrase your queries with the name of your wordpress database, followed by a period (.) preceeding the table name. For example:

Code:
SELECT * FROM wordpressdatabase.entriestable
Billy Hill
Fire Boar wrote:
Yes, in the mysql_connect statement you simply specify a different database - specifically the stuff in the wordpress blog.

However, I'd recommend you have the same user assigned to both databases. That way, you can do something like this:

Code:
// Start of your code...
mysql_select_db('wordpressdatabase');

// do stuff with the database and then...

mysql_select_db('joomladatabase');

Alternatively, you could phrase your queries with the name of your wordpress database, followed by a period (.) preceeding the table name. For example:

Code:
SELECT * FROM wordpressdatabase.entriestable

That looks like it should work. I will play around with it tonite. (Please note that PhP and MySQL are not my thing, but I'm ok with VB and Access databases, so I should be able to make the transition.)

Thanks much! Wink