FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What have learnt?

bropet12
Has man learnt anything in history,cause we keep making same mistake has our earlier fathers.Man has succeded in desroying half of the creature on earth today and we are about make eloping the world as well.
Say this is crap,whatever just said i should say something !!!!!!!!!!!
neroyert
Um, I understand english isn't everyone's first language, but I'm having a hard time understanding this post. If you're asking if Man has Learned from history, I'd have to say that some certainly have (Theodore Roosevelt, for one) and some certainly have not (Hitler, for instance).
Genesiz
I think that man has learnt from History, and the mistakes our forefathers have made, yet we decide to do nothing about it. For example, we know that burning fossil fuels is wrong, yet we still do it. We know that cars are a major contributor to climate change, yet we still drive them.

So yes, we have learnt from history. We just choose not to act upon what we have learnt.
medievalman26
We have learned much from our past but the question should be are we using that knowledge to our greatest potential or are we simple not remembering it is there.
brucedes
I've learnt from history.

I jumped off a climbing frame when I was about 11 and broke my leg. That taught me not to do that again Very Happy

But no, seriously, I think we try to learn from history and avoid repeating it, but we always succumb to mans natural flaws, such as greed....Especially greed in fact...
Afaceinthematrix
neroyert wrote:
and some certainly have not (Hitler, for instance).

I'd have to disagree there. Hitler was smart. Just because someone is a terrible person with no regard to human life, doesn't meant that they haven't learned anything.
Moonspider
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
neroyert wrote:

I'd have to disagree there. Hitler was smart. Just because someone is a terrible person with no regard to human life, doesn't meant that they haven't learned anything.

You have to admit, though that he learned absolutely nothing from Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Wink

Respectfully,
M
neroyert
Thanks M, nicely put, also that whole 2 front war thing screwed Germany over the 1st time, too. Oh and the ever popular last ditch counter-attack, the exact opposite of the Russians successful defense in the same war.
Afaceinthematrix
Moonspider wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
neroyert wrote:

You have to admit, though that he learned absolutely nothing from Napoleon's invasion of Russia. :wink:

Respectfully,
M

True. I won't deny it there. But he was smart in other ways. He was a genius when it came to getting the publics' attention and telling them what they wanted to hear.
Moonspider
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
neroyert wrote:

You have to admit, though that he learned absolutely nothing from Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Wink

Respectfully,
M

He was a genius when it came to getting the publics' attention and telling them what they wanted to hear.

Touche. Yes, tickling peoples' ears is a time-honored tradition in politics and religion throughout the world, no matter the system.

Respectfully,
M
Coclus
You are definitely right, it is sad that hardly anybody in power learns from historical examples.. The funny thing is there are not even that many different reactions to an action, consequently meaning it would be really clever to combine and compare..
chasbeen
A young person learns from their mistakes. It's hoped that none of these mistakes are fatal otherwise the lesson comes too late! However why cannot we learn that reacting to provocation NEVER leads to anything. War is like an "emotional response" and is why I started a topic in History.
"STUPIDEST MILITARY ACTION"
Guess what! itrs one of the biggest rolling topics with lots of great examples of human stupidity and many repeating examples.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-77566.html Rolling Eyes