FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forums versus Blogs (discussion)

truespeed
With the new blog feature,members can now gain their points by posting on their frihost blogs,blog posts are by nature less constructive ( a requirement on the forums) than forum posts,so for those that want to fulfill their account obligations by keeping up their required points,will they choose to post on their blogs rather than the forums,and how will this affect the forum?
Shewolf
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Probably people will do a bit of both, some days they feel like expressing themselves, and other days they feel like discussing, we'll see Smile
Personally I've not tried the new blog yet, because I've nothing to ramble about.
rvec
I think there will be less blog posts on the forums since those users can now start a blog. And I think there will be a lot of users trying to make points by posting nonsence on their blog because the blogs are not controlled as much as the forums do.

Also lots of users will post long stories in the blogs to gain lots of points at a time. That's why I think the point-rules on the blogs should be different from the one on the forums. Forum posts are shorter and blog posts have less rules so it's easyer to gain points with a blog. I think you should get half the forum points on a blog.
tidruG
I haven't been a big fan of the blogs.

But I did make a post on this very topic on my blog -- http://www.frihost.com/users/tidruG/blog/vp-80054.html

I'll quote some of the main points I covered there:

Quote:
1. It's nowhere near as fun/customizable as my Wordpress blogs.
2. The moderation of blog posts is likely to cause a headache for moderators, as we will have to be less strict about "post quality", I suppose.
3. At the same time, if too many users start blogging on Frihost, staff won't have enough time to look through all blog posts to make sure that none of them are offensive/not fit to be on Frihost.
4. However, one cannot refute the fact that Frihost Blogs will work in favour of creating more of the "community" atmosphere that Frihost is trying to create.
5. Like Bondings said in his inaugural post, each post has the potential to reach thousands of members, and is likely to definitely be more popular than your other blogs.
6. Giving same points as posts makes it far too easy to get points/FRIH$.
Genesiz
I agree with the points you have made there tidruG. It is so much easier to gain points/frih$ on a blog than on the forums, meaning that you will get just a load of rubbish by a lot of people, and no constructive posts.

Then again, people feel easier expressing themselves on blogs as opposed to forums, and so there will also be some very interesting and informative posts.

Its six of one and half a dozen of the other. Only time will tell i suppose.
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
The moderation of blog posts is likely to cause a headache for moderators, as we will have to be less strict about "post quality", I suppose

I think as far as the blogs go,the only criteria for moderation is if the posts go against frihosts TOS Other than that people should be free to do and write what they want. So quality of posts or lack of it, shouldn't be an issue
rvec
You can only report a blog for these points:
Quote:
Duplicate (Another similar topic already exists.)
Useless (A topic without real usefulness.)
Flaming (A topic with a lot of flaming taking place.)
Offensive (A topic that is offensive in any ways, like adult content, insulting, ...)
TOS Violation (Posting links or content related to warez, torrents, serials, hacking, ...)

So i think mods will only delete blogs wich are against those rules.
truespeed
rvec wrote:
You can only report a blog for these points:
Quote:
Duplicate (Another similar topic already exists.)
Useless (A topic without real usefulness.)

So i think mods will only delete blogs wich are against those rules.

By duplicate do you mean within your own blog,or across all the blogs? The idea of a blog is its individual to you,the fact that you may discuss something already posted on another blog should'nt matter. Even if you do discuss a particular subject more than once within your blog,again that should be your choice,blogs aren't forums and if blogs are moderated the same way as the forums i doubt many will use them.

As for a topic without usefulness,thats what a lot of blogs are,just random waffle.
rvec
i think they won't be judged like the forums. But a topic with no real words, lorem ipsum, smilies only or something like that is pretty useless and i think those should be deleted.

About the duplicate, I have no idea. I just copied this from the page I got after clicking "report blog" on a random blog post. I think I't about copied posts from some other blog/post. Or double blogs like a double post on the forums (clicking twice on the post button).
achowles
I doubt I'll be making much use of it. I tend not to bother much with blogs and journals.

But maybe I'll make use of it on the odd occasion that I've got something to promote.
SpellcasterDX
I don't think the blogs will be as widely used as the forums. I mean I don't blog that often, if ever. I usually only post blog entries when something exciting or interesting happens to me. Otherwise I just post on the forums and completely ignore my blog. Though I do surf through people's blog entries once in a while and reply to some of them. (All this on another forum I post at.)
_AVG_
What exactly is the difference between a blog and a forum??
reddishblue
I don't believe this. Gee Bondings, there were so many better ideas then having a blog system and you put one in.

I understand that it must have taken ages to make, but come on man! This isn't Myspace, what's next, giving people userpages on this forum?

I just came back to see how this place is doing, and what do I find, the last good forum has been corrupted!

I want to wish you guys well, but I really hope this blog thing doesn't take off, it's not a good idea at all, now we can expect the noobs to start marching in, calling people "gay" on their blogs is a home turf for those morons.

Shark Jumpage.

Reddish
Genesiz
The thing about blogs is that they seperate true posters from those who just want to post rubbish. It will be these 'rubbish posters' who will post the noobie stuff on the blogs, therefore getting themselves banned (hurrah!).

I don't think however that having a blog on Frihost is a bad idea. It can help to create the feeling of a closer knit community.
standready
Can't see the reason for blogs.
I do feel that blogs should NOT be available until a person reaches a certain amount of points and/or post This way the moderators (and the community) would have the opportunity to see if the person can provide quality request by this community instead of nonsense.
tidruG
truespeed, if we really give too much freedom on blogs, it will not only make it too easy for people to get points, but also make it too easy to post utter crap and get points for it. A good example is what rvec mentioned (posts containing lipsum or other such things aimed solely at getting points)

I also think the use of QUOTE TAGS should be very strictly enforced for 2 reasons:
  1. As in the forums, quoting from elsewhere without tags gets you free points/FRIH$.
  2. Legally, you need to attribute all copied and pasted material to its original source. I've been on forums where legal complications have crept us as a result of not attributing quoted material to its rightful source.

Reddishblue wrote:
I want to wish you guys well, but I really hope this blog thing doesn't take off, it's not a good idea at all, now we can expect the noobs to start marching in, calling people "gay" on their blogs is a home turf for those morons.
And you expect we'll just let them do it, do you?

Quote:
This isn't Myspace, what's next, giving people userpages on this forum?
In essence, you guessed right! Razz
But it's not going to be like Myspace, because we're offering you webspace instead of one lousy web-page. Also, if you don't want to use the blogs, you don't have to, and you're not forced to either. The blogs are clearly kept separate from the forums, and one generally does not interfere with the functioning of the other.

One of the main reasons I dislike blogs and the idea that it becomes too easy to get points/FRIH$ is because I expect some blogs to just be like online journals that nobody would really be interested in reading. "Dear Diary,..." sort of posts. Such posts are generally un-interesting to others, and wouldn't be allowed on the forums. Yet, since a blog is a blog, we can't heavily penalize the blogger for posting such posts, although we can encourage them to post better content.
reddishblue
Oh...god.
tiruG, I can only hope that for whatever reason you don't put up webspaces or anything, because, then this place is truly dead to me, why do we need all this stuff, it does distract people from posting, what's next?
An arcade...for the sake of Pete, please don't say that's on the cards too!
Or a Wiki. That would be even worse.
tidruG
It's not like a Webspace. It's basically an extended profile of your current forum profile, and it's optional whether you want to fill in any more fields or not.
It'll probably contain links to your blog, if you have made one, etc.
_AVG_
So what is the difference between blogs and forums ? It's basically posting isn't it? So how is there a difference? Aren't they the same thing? Question
saratdear
^Basically, there is not much difference from the Frihost blogs and the Frihost forums. There is just a slight problem, as so many others mentioned, about people posting nonsense on their blogs and getting points for it.

I have not made a blog here till now. Basically, I do not feel the need, because I enjoy the forums as it is. My opinion is that the long term users here will not deviate away from the forums. They made this forum great as it is, with the help from all others, and I don't feel that they will leave the forums when the next thing comes along.
tidruG
Also, forum posts are much more likely to get replies whereas your blog posts may not get as many comments.
truespeed
I dont think blogs are a bad idea,if the worry for mods, is people just posting any old copy paste stuff, just to gain points,then maybe rvec's idea of having a different points system for the blogs, should be put in place (if its possible that is)
saratdear
tidruG wrote:
Also, forum posts are much more likely to get replies whereas your blog posts may not get as many comments.

Most likely because not all users are aware that Frihost has set up a blogs system. Not all users come here every day.
Manofgames
Personally, I don't think its really going to take off.
Most people who use it will probably use it to post as a place to post things they couldn't usually post in the forums.
But otherwise, everyone is going to go for wordpress on their own space, for the reasons posted by Tidrug.

The other use is allowing members to comment on announcements via Bondings / Staff blogs.
rvec
tidruG wrote:

For now. I think there will be more replies on the better blogs and there will always be more replys in these blogs as there are on your own wordpress blog.

Maybe an idea: Get the frihost-blog to read the feed from a normal blog like wordpress.
ConquerSockets
Hey all.

Personally, I think that it's a great idea, but there is something missing in it.. Frihost should put maybe a minimal requirement of percentage of posts on forum from the total posts. If there are more on blogs, they start loosing points or I don't know what other kind of system might work..
Good luck!

Alexander
funkymunky
It's nice, but they say a lot of programming went into it, I know there probably is, but it's loaded down with boring forum features. Blog's need to have features all their own. Something to make it better y'know.
vinx_18
truespeed wrote:
With the new blog feature,members can now gain their points by posting on their frihost blogs,blog posts are by nature less constructive ( a requirement on the forums) than forum posts,so for those that want to fulfill their account obligations by keeping up their required points,will they choose to post on their blogs rather than the forums,and how will this affect the forum?

I do believe people will still flock to forums since they can ask questions and get a response compared to blogs where you can only shout out what's in your mind and you may get comments about it. Moderators should put a fair requirement for blogs since people may post useless or duplicate content.
tidruG
rvec wrote:
there will always be more replys in these blogs as there are on your own wordpress blog.

On the contrary! I got 20 comments for my last post on my Wordpress blog. I've got a maximum of 4 so far on my blog here.
Helios
I'm honestly against blogs.
Nevertheless I have a suggestion: the blogs must be approved by the staff before they go public. This way we'll have more control over it.
rvec
tidruG wrote:
rvec wrote:
there will always be more replys in these blogs as there are on your own wordpress blog.

On the contrary! I got 20 comments for my last post on my Wordpress blog. I've got a maximum of 4 so far on my blog here.

I meant when starting with a blog. I didn't make that clear, but when starting on frihost you already have an audience, and when starting on your own site you have to get readers to go to your site.
reddishblue
Helios wrote:
Nevertheless I have a suggestion: the blogs must be approved by the staff before they go public. This way we'll have more control over it.

Actually, I agree, I think we should have an approval process over who may own a blog, purely so we don't get blogs with awful writing that no one will ever read, perhaps they should only be for people with over 200 posts and even then, they will need to apply for the blog, and the subject and posts of the member (which is why they need a few for it) will be examined and skimmed over to check for sophisticated writing and opinions, and if approved, they can have their blog.

I also think blogs that have the most posts should be at the top, blogs that haven't been posted in for around three months without a reason given should be put in their own "abandoned" section and that there should be featured blogs voted on by the community.

If the screening process is put in place, and the staff actually care enough to have high standards, and not let one line posters have blogs, then we could have a nice system, otherwise, it crashes and burns.

Reddish

EDIT: To add to my post, I think every blog currently in existence is worthy for deletion, this isn't a popularity contest, it should only be open for people who are going to comment on intresting things, maybe we should invite everyone in the Philosophy section to get one Very Happy.
Also, please ban posts that just thank Frihost staff, and delete them when you find them, quality control is required.
Manofgames
reddishblue wrote:
Helios wrote:

Actually, I agree, I think we should have an approval process over who may own a blog, purely so we don't get blogs with awful writing that no one will ever read, perhaps they should only be for people with over 200 posts and even then, they will need to apply for the blog, and the subject and posts of the member (which is why they need a few for it) will be examined and skimmed over to check for sophisticated writing and opinions, and if approved, they can have their blog.

200 posts is quite a high number to achieve, I'd personally say 50 would be a good number.
reddishblue wrote:

I also think blogs that have the most posts should be at the top, blogs that haven't been posted in for around three months without a reason given should be put in their own "abandoned" section and that there should be featured blogs voted on by the community.

Or perhaps the blog page should just show the blogs by popularity, but allow user's to sort them through date posted etc.
I personally don't agree with an 'Abandoned'. Instead, there could be a limit as to an amount of inactivity allowed on a blog before the blog won't appear by default on the blogs page.
reddishblue wrote:

If the screening process is put in place, and the staff actually care enough to have high standards, and not let one line posters have blogs, then we could have a nice system, otherwise, it crashes and burns.

What makes you think the staff don't care about standards?
Whenever I've broken a rule, they've always corrected me in order to keep the standard.

Reddsihblue wrote:

EDIT: To add to my post, I think every blog currently in existence is worthy for deletion, this isn't a popularity contest, it should only be open for people who are going to comment on intresting things, maybe we should invite everyone in the Philosophy section to get one Very Happy.
Also, please ban posts that just thank Frihost staff, and delete them when you find them, quality control is required.

Absolutely not.
There are some blogs that are worthy of deletion, (i.e. mine) but that's only because I used the blog to test the service, as are a lot of people.
And about 'interesting' blogs: "One man’s meat is another man’s poison"
What someone may class as interesting may not be interesting to someone else, or what you may class uninteresting may be interesting to someone else.

That is why services such as digg are so popular, because there isn't someone who says 'this isn't interesting'. Its actually classed as interesting by the people who read it.
hunnyhiteshseth
Well it would be unfair to compare blogs & forums. Both have special significance.

If you are an introvert sort of person you would normally prefer blogging than going to forums to earn points.

On the other hand, extroverts may prefer forums.

Also, forum is much more community oriented while bog is centric on one person only.
While on forum you can spam but in a blog (except in comments) you wont normally spam.

And the list goes on....

As i said it is unfair to compare them.
Vrythramax
I like the tech involved with the blog system, but I am against users gaining points and essentially against the entire blog concept.
liamthebof
I dont do blogs. They seem less natural like you are imputting the data you think to a big dtabase. When posting in forums, you post towards people and replies come back from people. I will never start a blog, they are too unnatural. I like forums. This post also marks my return from 2 years without frihost!
[FuN]goku
Helios wrote:
Yay! someones against something that im against. lol usually im the opposite of everyone else. i just see blogs as pointless... Though some have been useful at times. But i would never own one of my own... just .. no point its like an online journal... i dont even have a paper journal so.
Vrythramax
[FuN]goku wrote:
Helios wrote:
Yay! someones against something that im against. lol usually im the opposite of everyone else. i just see blogs as pointless... Though some have been useful at times. But i would never own one of my own... just .. no point its like an online journal... i dont even have a paper journal so.

My brother is not the only one....count me in.
reddishblue
@ManOfGames

But this place isn't Digg...get it?

Anyway, by interesting, I mean so much more then simply what interests me, I mean, who really cares if your cat caught a mouse, which mans treasure is that? Quite a sad one, surely no one is actually interested or cares, and that blog isn't worth the space it takes up.

And I don't think the staff care about standards, that's why we have so many "yea I agree" posts, if I was to deal with my n00b self, all that time ago, I would certainly not just reject a hosting application, I would remove all their spam posts too, like staff do whenever they create their own threads.

Why I think 200 posts is a good idea, is the vast majority of members here couldn't care less if their posts are quality or not, those people aren't the ones who deserve blogs, only people who really take pride in their posts are deserving of a free blog space, otherwise we get polluted with 1 post blogs.

'nuff said.

@Vrythramax

[FuN]goku is your brother?
I...can't believe it, was that in the literal sense?

Reddish
truespeed
Im surprised so many people are against the blogs,they are there for those who want to use them,its not a compulsory thing.
tidruG
Quote:
But this place isn't Digg...get it?

In essence, what Manofgames said is correct. One man's meat is another man's poison. So, it would be far too restrictive to limit the content/theme/topics on which to allow blog posts. As long as a post isn't 100% gibberish, I don't support removing it on the basis of it's theme (only for blog posts, though).

Quote:
who really cares if your cat caught a mouse, which mans treasure is that? Quite a sad one, surely no one is actually interested or cares, and that blog isn't worth the space it takes up.
I sometimes find it really interesting to read others' personal blogs. Some people have a very nice natural way of writing, and even if they are writing about something "boring" like how their cat caught a mouse, they tend to write it in a way that makes it interesting to read.
And again, a blog is a blog. Either you use it as a topical blog, or you use it as your personal blog.
And more importantly, you need not limit your blog to be read only by members of Frihost. It makes perfect sense to me if someone wants to use their blog as an online journal to be viewed by family and friends who live in another house/city.

Quote:
And I don't think the staff care about standards
Are you sure you want to say that?
Quote:
that's why we have so many "yea I agree" posts,
If you care so much about standards, why don't you report such posts, then?

Quote:
I would certainly not just reject a hosting application, I would remove all their spam posts too
Which is certainly what we do in a lot of cases.

Quote:
like staff do whenever they create their own threads.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you're talking about here.

Quote:
Why I think 200 posts is a good idea, is the vast majority of members here couldn't care less if their posts are quality or not, those people aren't the ones who deserve blogs, only people who really take pride in their posts are deserving of a free blog space, otherwise we get polluted with 1 post blogs.
Wouldn't it be easier for someone who doesn't care about his blog posts to make 200 short posts and get a blog than it would be for someone who takes pride in his posts to post 200 long posts and then get a blog? This logic for making it a minimum of 200 posts is flawed.

truespeed wrote:
Im surprised so many people are against the blogs,they are there for those who want to use them,its not a compulsory thing.
Exactly! Blogs are totally optional. They're not like the forums, in which you are required to participate. I believe one of the new features to be added to the blogs is going to be subscribing for a particular blog. So, all you have to do is to find blog(s) you are interested in, and subscribe to them, and you can ignore all the other blogs.
[FuN]goku
reddishblue wrote:

@Vrythramax

[FuN]goku is your brother?
I...can't believe it, was that in the literal sense?

Reddish

No im not his brother, take another look at the quote, i think he meant Helios. Wink
bigdan
I prefer the forums, only because I have my own blog...the whole reason why I post here (to keep it active, as per the Frihost TOS).
reddishblue
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier for someone who doesn't care about his blog posts to make 200 short posts and get a blog than it would be for someone who takes pride in his posts to post 200 long posts and then get a blog? This logic for making it a minimum of 200 posts is flawed.

My point is, they should have some kind of experience, speaking from my perspective, I was a worthless member here until about that time, no doubt there are many fine members here without 200 posts, well, they can get them, people need lasting experience or, as I said, we get one post blogs, nobody wants those, and if the member is still bad after all that time, something which I haven't yet seen here, then they can be rejected.

It's all about experience bro.

Reddish
rvec
maybe users should be accepted like they are for hosting now. But the account creators are already buzzy so we'd need some more. And I don't think much users would make blogs that way. The way it is now users create a couple of blog posts and go back to the forums to make a new blog post after some time.
tidruG
Quote:
My point is, they should have some kind of experience, speaking from my perspective, I was a worthless member here until about that time, no doubt there are many fine members here without 200 posts, well, they can get them, people need lasting experience or, as I said, we get one post blogs, nobody wants those, and if the member is still bad after all that time, something which I haven't yet seen here, then they can be rejected.
That's a... valid point.
However, I don't really see the big deal with one-post blogs. Blogs with little or no activity will not get any viewers nor make it onto the blog post page anyway. If you go to the Blogs page, you will see that blogs are listed in reverse chronological order based on the time the last comment was posted in it.
I am also expecting to see a list of posts in reverse chronological order based on when the actual post was posted.
So, I reckon blogs with no posts will slip and slide into oblivion anyway.

I don't support the idea of having to accept blog requests, though.
reddishblue
tidruG wrote:
I don't support the idea of having to accept blog requests, though.

As usual this will be misinterpratated as me wanting power, but elect judges if the current staff won't do it, when you start something like this you stay committed to it, not just let it go down the drain like the directory, which has several links that lead to sites that are no longer powered by Frihost servers.

Don't just give up man, think of something!

Reddish
tidruG
I don't support the idea of having to accept blog requests not because of a shortage of staff, but because I don't see any reason for it. :P

Like I already said, find a blog you like, and subscribe to it. And if you find a new blog, read a post or two off it, and you can decide if you want to subscribe to it or not.
KronikSindrome
Blogs are good.....

for people who can't handle posting on message boards because
they fall apart when somebody disagree's, argues, or critisizes them.

yeah...so...for woooooooooosies. Laughing

or I guess for people who just like to write a lot and don't want
to fill up forrums with their long and personaly relivant rambles.....

but hey, that's what live journal is for.

anyway.....

blog on ppl! post on too! as long as you're expressing yourself somewhere....

it saves a lot on therapy bills.....
reddishblue
tidruG wrote:
Like I already said, find a blog you like, and subscribe to it. And if you find a new blog, read a post or two off it, and you can decide if you want to subscribe to it or not.

But that will be easier when all the blogs are quality, as is the writing and the comments, not pages of old one post blogs, ok, they will vanish into infinity, but they will still be present, and they will pollute the space, maybe blending in with the real, good blogs, so they aren't as easy to find.

Anyway, I think I'm fighting for a lost cause, since nobody seems to agree with me, but whatever.

At least think about it.

Reddish
Bondings
reddishblue wrote:
tidruG wrote:

But that will be easier when all the blogs are quality, as is the writing and the comments, not pages of old one post blogs, ok, they will vanish into infinity, but they will still be present, and they will pollute the space, maybe blending in with the real, good blogs, so they aren't as easy to find.

It is pretty much impossible to have only quality posts, it's the same for the forums and the blogs. By making users apply, that doesn't cause the blogs to become better in quality either - it would only discourage people and cause more administration. Besides, you can choose which blogs to follow or simply ignore them all.

By the way, currently the quality of the posts isn't bad, certainly not for a beta version that was recently started and still doesn't have some important features (notifications, rss, links, ...).

I've already discovered an interesting concept at the blogs: The World In Pictures by truespeed. (warning, picture of Britney Spears in a bra) Every blog post is a picture of something in the news. This kind of 'visual news' might be interesting to check after a certain time - if truespeed continuous it, of course.
rightclickscott
I'm liking the idea. I can never really find any reason to post to keep up my hosting, and this blog service isn't entirely bad. Not only that, but I'll be linking to it on other sites, possibly bringing in more Frihost users.
aster
Most of us are lacking of time and ginger to manage a big forum, however, a blog is similar to a small forum, as we know Blog's guests have the right to leave their comment usually.

But there is a problem along with one's blog, it is that nearly all of the themes are created by youself, so
blog is only suitable for those who are not so affected and interested in other opinions, or those who are glad to communicate with other people and sure assembling lots of copemates or friends.

In total, a blog is close to one's private saloon which are only welcome to copemates and friends who usually bring admiration and flowers to you, while comfort and help sometimes. You are speaking to your friends in your blog! All the themes are written by yourself!

Once you are confused and get in trouble out of your friend's ability, you need help from forums. There are so many different opinions and method from so many people, not just you and your friends.Be used to listen more! Even though fall across some againstŁˇBeause the turth is belong to everone! Not only you and your friends who often drop into you saloon with peace.

So be used to quarrel pleaese! After that you will gain more.