FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


UBUNTU LINUX





vinx_18
Is it alright to have an Internet Cafe with Ubuntu Linux as the Operating System? What are the advantages and disadvantages? My plan is to put up an internet cafe mainly for business people, professionals and students only. So there will be no games. Instead of Microsoft offices and Windows as operating system which is so costly, I will have Open offices and other free softwares.

Thanks a lot!!
dayveday
I don't that would be a problem, as long as you've set it up so that people who only use Windows will be able to make use of your cafe - make sure that you've set it up so they can easily find how to open their office documents (even 2007!) and acrobat files. The interfaces are pretty similar, so as long as you don't do too much weird stuff, it should work out ok!
vinx_18
dayveday wrote:
I don't that would be a problem, as long as you've set it up so that people who only use Windows will be able to make use of your cafe - make sure that you've set it up so they can easily find how to open their office documents (even 2007!) and acrobat files. The interfaces are pretty similar, so as long as you don't do too much weird stuff, it should work out ok!


Thanks! I would have icons on the desktop for shortcuts for Open Offices and other important softwares and interface should look like windows coz people knows more about windows than Linux. Also, there will be staff to teach customers what they want to.
djclue917
Or you might also want to use Kubuntu instead. Linux "new comers" might get "shocked" with GNOME because "it looks too different from Windows". Also, in my humble opinion, KDE is a lot easier to use and to learn to use because of its configurability (unlike GNOME's "too much of simplicity") and killer apps (read: Konqueror, Amarok, K3b, Kaffeine, etc). Either way, you'll be in a win-win situation since both environments are really easy to use. Also, you'll have a solid system (no viruses, virus scanners, trojans, or whatsoever) at no cost. I hope that helps...
vinx_18
djclue917 wrote:
Or you might also want to use Kubuntu instead. Linux "new comers" might get "shocked" with GNOME because "it looks too different from Windows". Also, in my humble opinion, KDE is a lot easier to use and to learn to use because of its configurability (unlike GNOME's "too much of simplicity") and killer apps (read: Konqueror, Amarok, K3b, Kaffeine, etc). Either way, you'll be in a win-win situation since both environments are really easy to use. Also, you'll have a solid system (no viruses, virus scanners, trojans, or whatsoever) at no cost. I hope that helps...


Wonderful! Great! Thanks a lot for opening my mind.. Yup! I would like to have kubuntu since the interface is terrific for newbies and amateurs. Also, what printers or scanners that kubuntu or ubuntu can configure. Since there are printers that are windows base only. Thanks a lot!
MrBlueSky
vinx_18 wrote:
Also, what printers or scanners that kubuntu or ubuntu can configure. Since there are printers that are windows base only. Thanks a lot!


There is a list of hardware which work and doesn't work with Ubuntu at the Ubuntu-wiki. For printers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters and for scanners: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsScanners
vinx_18
MrBlueSky wrote:
vinx_18 wrote:
Also, what printers or scanners that kubuntu or ubuntu can configure. Since there are printers that are windows base only. Thanks a lot!


There is a list of hardware which work and doesn't work with Ubuntu at the Ubuntu-wiki. For printers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters and for scanners: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsScanners


Thank u so much MrBlueSky! I really need this information..
mehulved
We were looking to explore if a FOSS based cyber cafe can be set up.
Some things you may need to change are, the default file type when saving in openoffice. People will save their documents usually without realising about what file type they saved in. Thus, they usually save it in odt,ods and so on.
One major hitch we faced was, yahoo and msn messenger are quite commonly used in these parts. There's no good application for these 2 protocols that can provide both webcam and audio chat support. Kopete might be able to after messing it around a bit but it sadly doesn't support single sign on, which is very much essential in a cyber cafe.
Another hitch I've faced is that some people format their external/pen drives as ntfs. By default feisty mounts it using ntfs driver, so you can only read from it and not write to it. That will need to be changed by installing ntfs-3g and using ntfs-3g to mount those drives. I am not sure how to make udev do that. But, exploring around a bit should give you something hopefully.

Here are some excerpts from the discussion that our LUG had on this topic - http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/FOSS_based_Cyber_Cafe
fadirocks
you also can try the live CD first to see your hardware works Razz I think ubuntu has that somewhere on the site
vinx_18
mehulved wrote:
We were looking to explore if a FOSS based cyber cafe can be set up.
Some things you may need to change are, the default file type when saving in openoffice. People will save their documents usually without realising about what file type they saved in. Thus, they usually save it in odt,ods and so on.
One major hitch we faced was, yahoo and msn messenger are quite commonly used in these parts. There's no good application for these 2 protocols that can provide both webcam and audio chat support. Kopete might be able to after messing it around a bit but it sadly doesn't support single sign on, which is very much essential in a cyber cafe.
Another hitch I've faced is that some people format their external/pen drives as ntfs. By default feisty mounts it using ntfs driver, so you can only read from it and not write to it. That will need to be changed by installing ntfs-3g and using ntfs-3g to mount those drives. I am not sure how to make udev do that. But, exploring around a bit should give you something hopefully.

Here are some excerpts from the discussion that our LUG had on this topic - http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/FOSS_based_Cyber_Cafe


Thank u so much for this information. I think there is a yahoo messenger for LINUX..Does it run smoothly on kubuntu or ubuntu?
mehulved
vinx_18 wrote:

Thank u so much for this information. I think there is a yahoo messenger for LINUX..Does it run smoothly on kubuntu or ubuntu?

It's pre-historic. Even that would be an understatement. Just go to the download page and see the last release date. It should atleast be 3-4 years ago. And it doesn't even support all the features that were supported by Yahoo Messenger back then.
[FuN]goku
Xubuntu may be good as well, it uses XFCE for a desktop environment, which looks similar to kde in a way, and is simple to use. Smile good luck with your cafe
vinx_18
Also, I would like to ask what networking topology is the best for an internet cafe..And what are the good devices and other needed materials that best fit an internet cafe? Cheap, durability, expandability ...etc
[FuN]goku
vinx_18 wrote:
Also, I would like to ask what networking topology is the best for an internet cafe..And what are the good devices and other needed materials that best fit an internet cafe? Cheap, durability, expandability ...etc
I would think that the network topology would be a star wouldnt it?
And what do you mean as materials? Software, or hardware, both.... as far as software goes, uhm... some M$ office style apps.... and if you are making this for students , probly put on a couple program compilers, c++ , c, ruby , perl, though i think some of that comes standard with most distro's. Maybe put on a music player like XMMS ( x multimedia system or something like that) , VLC player for videos, or if you want music develepment programs on there, Hydrogen is the equivalent to fruity loops for windows, uhm.. then for graphics, you want , The Gimp which is a really dumbed down version of photoshop, and for 3D maybe Blender. You'll probably want wine for some reason or another for trying to run windows apps. For IM's if you want those at all, you want Pidgin (Formally known as GAIM but was changed cuz of Aol and their AIM) , if you want irc clients, XChat is the way to go. ehm.. i cant think of anything else you may want... Firefox or opera for a browser, probly firefox ( usually for deb based distros like ubuntu its called IceWeasel and not firefox) thats all i can really think of.
fiendskull9
keep in mind you may want to figure out if you can run KDE in kiosk mode, or perhaps hire a linux guru to super secure the systems

a good example of why this should be done is because im sure there are many people in your city that know what they are doing with linux, and could break into your systems very easily if not properly secured

i did this at my local computer shop (it was with there consent, and i later secured the system for them)

i was able to get out of there "slimmed down" kiosk type mode in kde, get to a shell, run an exploit that gave me root shell, i then showed them how i had access to all the essential files of there ubuntu system, and then was able to execute a forkbomb and crash there computer

all this is protectable by using a locked down user account, only allowing them to execute from /usr/bin (or /usr/local/bin), and using some kernel patches to cap the processor usage to kill the process if it runs above a certain limit (you can also google for forkbomb)

-clay
vinx_18
fiendskull9 wrote:
keep in mind you may want to figure out if you can run KDE in kiosk mode, or perhaps hire a linux guru to super secure the systems

a good example of why this should be done is because im sure there are many people in your city that know what they are doing with linux, and could break into your systems very easily if not properly secured

i did this at my local computer shop (it was with there consent, and i later secured the system for them)

i was able to get out of there "slimmed down" kiosk type mode in kde, get to a shell, run an exploit that gave me root shell, i then showed them how i had access to all the essential files of there ubuntu system, and then was able to execute a forkbomb and crash there computer

all this is protectable by using a locked down user account, only allowing them to execute from /usr/bin (or /usr/local/bin), and using some kernel patches to cap the processor usage to kill the process if it runs above a certain limit (you can also google for forkbomb)

-clay


wow... incredible! Thank you so much for this information clay...

By the way guys, I am now finishing my business plan. I will pass this to be approved by my father since I will borrow money from him. Then, I am processing papers and conduct surveys and see interior designs. Hopefully by November....all is ready for operation. My plan was not pure internet usage only...there will be tutorials, study center, small meeting room for business partners or students discussion, small resto....Hopefully all will be well...
Sparky07
I had ubuntu for one reason, beryl, it was cool for a week or so but it kept crashing so i changed back to XP, havent looked back since, linux is complicated to remove stuff
[FuN]goku
Sparky07 wrote:
I had ubuntu for one reason, beryl, it was cool for a week or so but it kept crashing so i changed back to XP, havent looked back since, linux is complicated to remove stuff

Well, afaik beryl wasnt supposed to be stable, and it depended on whether your gfx drivers were installed correctly. But its not hard to remove stuff if you use package managers , or if you know what you're doing Wink
Sparky07
[FuN]goku wrote:
Sparky07 wrote:
I had ubuntu for one reason, beryl, it was cool for a week or so but it kept crashing so i changed back to XP, havent looked back since, linux is complicated to remove stuff

Well, afaik beryl wasnt supposed to be stable, and it depended on whether your gfx drivers were installed correctly. But its not hard to remove stuff if you use package managers , or if you know what you're doing Wink


I went through all the stages and successfully installed my drivers, then i installed the glfrx and then i installed beryl. It worked for a week then it just disappeared like, it wouldn't load but the manager worked and so did compiz fusion.
vicarious
I´m sorry to hear that you went back to XP for your cafe idea. The money you would have saved on licensing fees can now could have been used for one hell of an espresso machine. I feel that oyu will probably wind up needing an administrator for your systems in the long run, and you may now be paying someone some good money simply removing spyware and adware, as well as viruses off of your whole network on a regular basis. (Cafe users are not to picky about security. I did see one drawback to using Linux in a cafe setting that you might not have though of though, Gaming. The big money in an internet cafe is networked gaming, and most people are not looking to play Mahjjong. That does not mean that it cannot be done, did you know that most games that can be configured to run on a linux system actually run faster than on an XP box, and even faster than Vista https://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/rca/from_out_there/windows_games_run_faster_on_linux_than_on_windows_vista
? But there could soon even be a drawback for XP. While this is not a real issue,at least for now, your financier, your father, might need to incorporate an extra expenditure for when there is a need for updating to the new Vista operating system when MS decides it needs a new office product (with proprietary and secret encoding). Costs a little more than an apt-get-distupgrade . Open source may come to the rescue even then, if you can get your clients to use OO and not cry like lemmings for Vista Office 2009.


The best of luck, and if you set your mind to it, work hard, and plan, execute, plan, I´m sure you will succeed no matter what OS you decide to go with.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
new Ubuntu (linux) version is out!
Ubuntu Linux blank screen on startup
Which Linux distribution is the best?
Which Linux?
[VAR] CD's gratis de Ubuntu Linux
[soft]UBUNTU linux desarrolladores de Ubuntu/Kubuntu
Playing Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge in Ubuntu Linux or Fedora
Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS source code
How to connect to the internet using Ubuntu Linux 6.06
Ubuntu Linux will not shut down
En octubre aparecerá una versión móvil de Ubuntu Linux
Linux system recommendations please
Stranged thing ever happend on your pc
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.