FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dsign Tip

richard270384
Hi,

So there are a lot of Wiki based sites out there these days that allow website visitors to directly edit content and they don't seem to really get abused too often.

I am making my website (which isn't as flexible as a wiki based site but still allows visitors to edit information) and I initially planned to review any edited information before the changes became visible on the website. I hope that makes sense.

ANyway, do you think that it is neccessary for me to check over everything? Or do you think it should generally be fine to let changes become visible immediately?

Cheers,
Richard
DjinniFire
Changes or additions to wiki's should be moderated before going public

wikipedia has had some issues with people putting bad content
i even heard of a case where somebody posted a famous person's death 4 hours before the person actually was announced dead :/

If the content isn't very important in terms of research (students use wikipedia a lot but not say anime wiki's) then should be fine with users moderating each other so public content right away is fine. Make sure you have report errors kind of link.
FunDa
Wiki based sites will probably get gigabytes of spam. Make sure you have some basic spam filtering set up. Then manual spam will also have to be sorted out.

The best approach would be to have a user reviewed approval.

So users check each other to confirm that spam is not let through.

The World wide web would be a much better place if not for all the spam littering the place
littlegiant
Absolutely check over everything. As already mentioned, as soon as you put any kind of interactive form online, the spammers will zero in on it in no time. Also if you leave a site like that unchecked, you could eventually face some security issues as well. The rule of thumb is assume the worst and then be well prepared to deal with it.
coreymanshack
I would have moderators aprove or disaprove it;