FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why are you supposed to not wear white after labor day?

Srs2388
... just a general question I don't really get the whole
"OMG SHE'S WEARING WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY!!!"
... is there a real reason?
silverGFX
it used to be some fashion faux paw, but it just seems stupid now
Liu
Labor day is supposed to signify the last celebration day of summer. And typically white is only worn on warm summer days because it reflects light.

I love wearing white so who gives a heck.
Donutey
I don't think I've ever heard someone say that in all seriousness after labor day, but it might be just me. I think that phrase is probably headed toward being an anachronism.
sabe
This is another way that the media & Madison ave. has to try to sell stuff. If you fall for that one then you are too worried about your looks and have nothing better to do then to judge those by their attire. If you have that much time you should get a real job or do something that requires some thought so you are not so superficial.

Yes, you should look neat and clean but with the colors and patterns available today that tradition is past it's usefulness.
Mannix
Umm I wore white today. ...Didn't realize it was a capital crime. ...Oh no, I've confessed!!
Afaceinthematrix
I've always wondered that also, and have always assumed that it's because white is a "summer" color, but I'm not sure. That theory that someone posted previously about Labor Day being the last party of the summer seems logical to me.
Zombie
I never wondered that, because i've never heard of it before... well, you learn something new everyday.
crimson_aria
It's the first time I've heard about not wearing white after labor day. haha. now you're making me wonder why too.
m-productions
umm your ALWAYS wearing white after labor day if you wear white at all...

Start of year -->-------------------labor day -->-------------------End of year
using this as a guide lets says x is where you wear white

Start of year -->-------------------labor day -->---------X---------End of year
Looks like you wore white after.. but wait in 2008

Start of year -->-------X-----------labor day -->-------------------End of year
You still wearing it AFTER labor day... see? its ALWAYS after....
Srs2388
lol
Quote:

that's true and funny.. oh no i wore white after labor day Sad
jharsika
You read my mind......I was going to say that! But not with a diagram.
SpellcasterDX
Huh I had never heard of that. But regardless, m-productions is right. You're always wearing white after labor day. Cause of labor day from the previous year. lol. So that's pretty stupid.
Liu
m-productions wrote:

If you consider the first day of the year a reset, then this logic wouldn't work.
m-productions
Liu wrote:
m-productions wrote:

If you consider the first day of the year a reset, then this logic wouldn't work.

ah but who the heck says it resets? I dont see that in the saying do you?
rsmods
God knows why lol...just faith i guess
xorcist
I never really got why people always say don't wear white after Labor Day. This Labor Day I wore white and no one really said anything usually people are like why are you wearing white when they see people wearing it after Labor Day. I think its one of superstitions that people come up with and after a while no one knows why they do it.
rheanna
You learn something new everyday and I'm a labor day baby lol
raine dragon
As far as I know, it comes from the past when ladies wore stockings and gloves if they were going to town, and skirts were never above the knee.

It is one of those 'laws' of fashion, rather like gloves and stockings, which is rather outdated, but used to be very, very important. Wearing white after labor day, at some points in history caused all the ladies to gossip in a flurry . XD
eku53ru
I remember hearing about this saying from my sister, but neither of us knew the reason why one should not wear white after Labor Day. I used to, and still probably think of that saying in the same way m-productions did--I mean, isn't it a little silly when you can wear white on every day but Labor Day?

While Liu said the first day of the year can be considered a reset, I think that part depends on the person. It's like asking people what Sunday is; it's not always the first day of the week. =O
Liu
m-productions wrote:

ah but who the heck says it resets? I dont see that in the saying do you?

And who the heck says it doesn't reset?

My point is that it's all by the person's opinion.
[FuN]goku
never heard anyone say that before, i dont really care tbh... i wear mostly black and dark colors anyways.
Vrythramax
[FuN]goku wrote:
never heard anyone say that before, i dont really care tbh... i wear mostly black and dark colors anyways.

I'm with you...I wear black most all of the time....then again I am no dedicated slave to fashion.
skygaia
I've never heard of it. It's so interesting
myrevolt
Agreed, I wear black everyday, but that's just me (and it helps so I don't have to decide what to wear "hmm let me look in my closet - 20 black shirts, I wonder which I'll wear today"). I could understand that wearing white in the wintertime, might increase the difficulty in finding lost persons, but that's the only logical conclusion I can come to. Oh and the other thing may be teenagers of the female variety wearing white when it rains, reminds me of old friends and their crazy stunts.
[FuN]goku
Vrythramax wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

I'm with you...I wear black most all of the time....then again I am no dedicated slave to fashion.

Hehe ive noticed this is like the second or third thing you've agreed with me on Razz
I like to be different from others.
PatTheGreat42
I wear Summer Whites until they tell me otherwise.

Hoorah Naval Academy.
heinrich666
White shoes right?

Good thing for me b/c i only wear black boots.
imagefree
Labor day is my Birth Day. So, ... Very Happy
RubySlasher
I heard that it was because sometime in the 1950's, the class division between rich and poor started changing, and the middle-class came into stronger being. In order to fit in with the "rich" class more so, they used fashion rules like this to try and mimic them. As said earlier, white is a bad idea to wear during winter in cold climates because it doesn't keep you as warm. Another reason for it is that you were seen as uncultured if you wore white shoes during the bleaker months, because white was somehow seen as "cheerier", and you're suppose to dress darker, more like you mourning and depressed because of the weather.

Anyways, this rule is outdated now, especially since the climate is getting warmer due to global warming.
riv_
Quote:
Ruby slasher:
I heard that it was because sometime in the 1950's, the class division between rich and poor started changing, and the middle-class came into stronger being. In order to fit in with the "rich" class more so, they used fashion rules like this to try and mimic them. As said earlier, white is a bad idea to wear during winter in cold climates because it doesn't keep you as warm. Another reason for it is that you were seen as uncultured if you wore white shoes during the bleaker months, because white was somehow seen as "cheerier", and you're suppose to dress darker, more like you mourning and depressed because of the weather.

Anyways, this rule is outdated now, especially since the climate is getting warmer due to global warming.

I think that's probably true... and, if that's the case, I expect the "Labour Day White sales" that used to happen probably have something to do with it too. My Grandma used to tell stories of people lining up before the stores opened for Labour Day sales, and ladies fighting (physically) for items.
I think if you were poor, you would do that. But you wouldn't want anyone to know you did that, so you would probably save your new, cheap whites for the new year.
People are weird, huh?

Off topic: Getting warmer in the winter???? We've had cold winters in my neck of the woods. And around here (where there is snow in the winter, and the dirt is too frozen to stick to you) whites are easier to keep clean in the winter than t any other time of year!
JBotAlan
Never heard of that rule until today...I don't wear white anyhow. It shows smudges of grease from robotics too easily... Very Happy

I'd be curious to know where this came from and how old it is.
ankitdatashn
what is labor day man???, I have not heard that either leave alone to answer to say why it is not considered to wear white clothes after labor day!!
rheanna
Laughing I'm a labor baby so I don't care and I still wear white. I heard it only dealt with the shoes that they wore
furtasacra
The old rule is no pure white SHOES after Labor Day.

(Sneakers and nurse shoes don't count.) Off-white or cream-colored shoes are okay. White shirts are okay. White pants or skirts are bad. Aside from being mystified as to why anybody would EVER want to wear white pants, I don't really see the point, myself.

If you want to wear white after Labor Day, by all means wear white, unless you're visiting a rich, elderly, female relative who will think you're trashy and cut you out of her will! Laughing
Fake
Never heard of that before though. Intesresting info