FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Xbox 360 Pricing

Deji
(just incase you havnt worked this out already)

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

pretty expensive so why not..

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

but wait oh noes you need more stuff.

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
thats right + around $189.96 to go for the "cheaper" option (also assuming you have an ethernet cable already)

so basicly if you fo that your paying $89.96 in the end to own a extra wired controller that will retail at Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP) for those of you who like burning money enjoy doing that. (hint: your getting ******)

Admittedly im not buying anything till i see some actual info about the games as if the launch titles a "limited time" offer of getting a Ł30 remote isnt much to motivate me rather than waiting for more games / info / a price drop.
Monkeydog
i won't get a 360 cause i hate it =/
and the last three(possibly even four)things you listed you don't really need at all to play a game...the headset mabye if u play online but you don't have to play online...
http://penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050819l.jpg
that comic explians the diffrence of the two prices nicely IMO =P
Kelcey
I think 400 is fair for the "premium" system, but one would have to be a complete moron or desperate and poor to buy the core system. Having the hard drive will make your gaming experience better. Patches, MMORPGS (if you play them, I don't), and online game shopping. If you don't want the hard drive, fork over 40 bucks anyways for a memory card. I'm sure microsoft is banking on these two situations:

1. parents are stupid and see the cheaper one and buy it for their kids. Then later they blow too much money on accessories and microsoft makes bank.

2. People see the 400 dollar premium as absolutely awesome considering the "core" system costs 300 so microsoft has people thinking they're getting some uber awesome deal.
[SP]HaloClan
RIPOFF 500$$ for a box tht plays disks? its so not worth it and you are a complete idiot (or just a game freak) if u buy this the day it comes out and pays 500$$$ for this rip-off of a system! in my personal oppinion this looks beter than Xbox, but not 300$$$ better!!!! take my advice and DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!
Monkeydog
sheesh you act like $500 is a lot of money to be asked for for a game console...when its not really specially at this time.The more expensive one will also be the one that has the baillity to play old Xbox games me thinks(i think thats what Tycho said on Penny Arcade)
not that i care about the 360 or something i hope the 3 is as cheap or cheaper than the premium Xbox(doing it how the Xbox is doing it will FAIL BIG TIME,look at the PS2/PSX(the PS2 1.5 not the old playstation)
but i'm happy that Nintendo knows what a game is and will make a console with top of the line games on it at an affordable price ^-^
Kelcey
[quote="[SP]HaloClan"]RIPOFF 500$$ for a box tht plays disks? its so not worth it and you are a complete idiot (or just a game freak) if u buy this the day it comes out and pays 500$$$ for this rip-off of a system! in my personal oppinion this looks beter than Xbox, but not 300$$$ better!!!! take my advice and DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!![/quote]

hehe, chill homie. Where'd you get the 500 dollars from? Are you including buying a game and memory card? Just curious.

This gen is gonna be expensive with the exception of nintendo I assume. They aren't throwing everything + fries and a condom in their system. My guess is that the PS3 will start at $499. It's just a guess, that's all.
Monkeydog
Well compared to 2 gens ago this is much more cheaper Razz
hulsadmin
very reasonable price,but why buy that piece of junk if the ps3 is just around the corner. i hate the whole xbox thing. the graphics are the best, but man...look at the controler,i mean damn,WHYYY???
Aut0mat1c
Not as bad as I thought it would be.
nakamaru
I think it's cheaper than the PS3 and if the 360 has a year of live then that's what I'm getting.
Kelcey
Microsoft isn't helping themselves lately though. Allard held a chat and pretty much spewed some expected marketing crap to people. Pissed a lot of people off... I didn't care cause I expected it.
Monkeydog
[SP]HaloClan wrote:
RIPOFF 500$$ for a box tht plays disks? its so not worth it and you are a complete idiot (or just a game freak) if u buy this the day it comes out and pays 500$$$ for this rip-off of a system! in my personal oppinion this looks beter than Xbox, but not 300$$$ better!!!! take my advice and DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!

wait its $400 and 500 is not 300 more than 300 0.o
MistaKiula
Gee.. I think it's better to buy if you like the games that's coming out for it. I'd prefer PS3 because the games that are coming for PS3 are one of my favourites. Also, It's basically the same thing almost as XbOX360, except with some unique/excluded features.
icarus
It isn't right to just say you hate the Xbox 360 as it hasn't come out yet. True, I was a bit disappointed that the price wasn't $360 dollars but $399. But it is reasonable for a next-gen console. Rumour has it that the PS3 is going to be sold for up to $500. But the xbox 360 does make up for this price difference with those ridiculously expensive face-plates. I can't imagine why anybody would spend $20 to get a face plate.
Deji
OK ill add a bit more to this

Xbox Live

There are two version of xbox live Silver and Gold

If you buy the cheap one you get Silver (unpaid) membership, it allows you content download and 1 to 1 voice chat but not much else (no actual online gaming)

Gold Membership (paid) you get one month of this free i think when you buy the more expensive package its the one that is similar to the current Xbox Live

where you can use all the communication / chat features without limits as well as playing games. No information about how much its going to cost, id probably place it in a similar cost to current xbox live Ł40 / $70 ?

Why microsoft is doing this

Last time around when every xbox had a harddrive, they lost money on every single xbox they sold, they had to make the money up from extra accessories.

so this time around, if you buy the $400 package xbox probably looses money based on how much it costs to make / how much the parts would sell for individually.

everytime someone buys the cheap $300 package xbox makes money as this person is very likely to buy accessories at a later date... buying simply the extras they could have got when they bought the xbox results in one more controller (most people buy one anyway) so at least $40 for microsoft, excluding the profit they make from the individual things themselves (ie a $99 harddrive will make them a profit... , a $50 controller will make them a profit)

they are trying to offset the loss they are going to make on the hardware with more sales of accessories.

ALSO

Media Attention

They can say they are selling the Xbox 360 at only $300 even tho it has bits missing..

will make a good headline / way to sell it to people who arnt already into gaming / dont know how bad an idea it is.

Advice for everyone

DONT PREORDER IT

DONT RUN OUT AND BUY IT SOON

WAIT

we know nothing about the games / price of games when this thing comes out. all we get to see are Pre-rendered screenshots and movies (IE not actuall game play) and most consoles drop in price after launch anyway, the only thing you "might" miss out on is the so called "limited" remote that comes with the $400 package.

im going to wait till i start seeing actuall reviews of what games are going to be out for it, an ACTUAL explaination of how Xbox Live GOld / Silver works, because i dont want to spend lots if i dont know about it

$400 - Xbox 360
$100 - XBox Live Gold
$70 - 1 Game

that could happen ( i dont think it would as they need to keep live faily cheap) but id like to know what im getting before i start spending a lot.
XeRo
Well, Is cheaper than PS3 at least, but is beter?
Deji
ehh im not sure about the tech. specifications of either of them tbh

i dont think "on paper" performace matters much, its what the developers then use it for.

For example

At the moment (being Newer) the Xbox beats the PS2 in terms of graphics, but xbox game play tends to be the same as the PC (frequently with direct ports) so the extra power doesnt matter as the games are only using it to make things look nice not improve the gameplay.

PS2 sells more simply because it has better games, and thats what matters not nice visuals on games that arnt any fun to play.
XeRo
But i read a lot of the ps3 and i seems better than 360 but you can buy a ferrari with the price Very Happy
LostOverThere
Thats a bit out of my reach. Mad

But knowing Nintendo, I might just buy the next Nintendo.
Dustwars9
No body really knows what the power of the next gen will be but remember the graphics are not going to be much better than the new xbox games. It took about 3 years for game developers too use the full power of the xbox. I think the xbox 360 will be the best option for gamers that like to play online because of the xbox live feature. Since the xbox 360 will be out 6 months before the ps3 than it will have lots of games too choose from before the ps3 is released. But then because sony has 6 months to discover the power of the 360 than they can upgrade the ps3 before they sell it and microsoft will not have a chance in graphics. When the ps3 finally comes out you will probably get a good deal on a xbox360 platinum with halo3 bundle that will be cheaper that just one ps3 with no excesories.
bao
PS3 cost more money than Xbox 360.But PS3 hold more well capability.
Herbz3
I dont know if many people will be able to afford the new pricing with the games coming out. Game consoles are going to cost like 300 and the stuff that goes with them will make it over 600 to get them. I just hope they make the stuff affordable.
Check out xbox website: www.xbox360.com
Deji
Dustwars9 wrote:
No body really knows what the power of the next gen will be but remember the graphics are not going to be much better than the new xbox games. It took about 3 years for game developers too use the full power of the xbox. I think the xbox 360 will be the best option for gamers that like to play online because of the xbox live feature. Since the xbox 360 will be out 6 months before the ps3 than it will have lots of games too choose from before the ps3 is released. But then because sony has 6 months to discover the power of the 360 than they can upgrade the ps3 before they sell it and microsoft will not have a chance in graphics. When the ps3 finally comes out you will probably get a good deal on a xbox360 platinum with halo3 bundle that will be cheaper that just one ps3 with no excesories.

on the other hand PS3 is more likely to have better games, which in the long run is worth it.. dont think its going to be worth buying a 360 just for the next halo game, cause lets be honest halo 1 was good because it was different, halo 2 was a very poor game. Fun for a while but doesnt have the quality of a lot of other games (even if it might beat them in terms of graphics).

XBox Live yes is good, but can (like a lot of things) get boring, i know ive not played halo 2 in about 2 months as the PC is always going to win in terms of online gaming because of the scale of it compared to subscription based services.