FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Silverlight vs. Flash

alem
Quote:

Microsoft® Silverlight™ is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation of .NET based media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web. Silverlight offers a flexible programming model that supports AJAX, VB, C#, Python, and Ruby, and integrates with existing Web applications. Silverlight supports fast, cost-effective delivery of high-quality video to all major browsers running on the Mac OS or Windows.

what do you think about microsoft's latest software silverlight.

do you expect silverlight can beat flash which has over 90% spread.(as far as i know)
here is an article of comparison and here are some discussions emerged already.
brokenadvice
Silverlight is going to be a bloated piece of crap. Allowing the direct embedding of WMV, fonts, a broad range of coding languages, and other garbage is just going to slow older computers down. But like an infectious disease, it will inevitably spread to the far reaches of the earth as MS includes it in an automatic update.
xbcd
i think that microsoft just wants their name on everything. They just can't stop and appreciate what they have. All they want is more and more money. I hope it flops and nobody uses it. And when it says cross platform it better support Linux or i will kill someone.
Peterssidan
I hope it's not going to be popular but microsoft have some power over the unexperinced users so we never know. I have decide to never install it so I will never get any opinion if it's good but there is no need of more things like this. flash is far enough.
Solid_State
Too little too late. Flash is everywhere. Nike's website is written entirely in Flash. Why would Nike spend a fortune writing a mirror site in Silverlight when Silverlight doesn't even have ANY market share. Basically they are not.

What worries me though is if Microsoft uses automatic updates to install Silverlight onto peoples computers. That way they can rather underhandedly claim that Silverlight is installed on 70-80% of Windows PC's [those figures are guestimates, but you get the idea] and thereby claim a market for Silverlight. This is the only way that it is going to take out Flash.
vaoger
Solid_State wrote:
Too little too late. Flash is everywhere. Nike's website is written entirely in Flash. Why would Nike spend a fortune writing a mirror site in Silverlight when Silverlight doesn't even have ANY market share. Basically they are not.

What worries me though is if Microsoft uses automatic updates to install Silverlight onto peoples computers. That way they can rather underhandedly claim that Silverlight is installed on 70-80% of Windows PC's [those figures are guestimates, but you get the idea] and thereby claim a market for Silverlight. This is the only way that it is going to take out Flash.

give me five pal....
FLASH IS EVERY WHERE.....
even virus also in form of flash...
but new thing always catch people attention!!
why dont we give it a try!!
kiranaghor
Any technology prospers when a team of developers produses kick ass software using that particular technology. Flash is highly popular and used on 99% of the browsers coz it not only enhances the user experience it also adds to the aesthetic of the site. Java became popular because of its cross platform features and applets.
If silverlight comes up with something really different and usable then it wil rock otherwise nothing can beat flash. Adobe has come up with damn good api's like AIR (apollo) and they know how to stay at the top.
burqe
Well, it is not naturally bad to jump in every market and try to make good products. They will onyl get success if they build better products. Technically, silver light is not a superb idea. Just a bit different idea for the formally one and only in the market: Flash (motion vector graphics).

The more important thing here is the development tools that microsoft provide with silver light and the ability to intgrate with most of the other microsft technologies. Adobe should come up with a better Development environment as if you notice, there is no huge change in Flash development studia after 4.0 version. So 5 years with out a major leap. This is enough time to allow microsoft in.
fadirocks
I ran that thing and my laptop was about to blow up man it sucks bad!!!!! I barely made it last time I ran it on Halo3 site!!!!
Quit it MS stop making new crap just fix your old crap!!!!!!
Talk2Tom11
just like excel was heavy and bloated when it first came out. So is Silverlight.

Microsoft is not dumb. They understand how the market works. They killed Lotus with a bloated office suite. There is no reason why they won't do the same with sliverlight.

Microsoft codes for the future. Sure it is slow right now, but bandwidth gets cheaper everyday and Microsoft knows that. In a year or so people will have even more state of the art machines and silverlight will work seamlessly with everyones browser. And we will all continue to wonder why it is that Microsoft has us all by the balls.

They didn't get where they are by stealing ideas and making crappy software. We could learn something from them. Code for tomorrow not today. It will save you a lot of recoding in the future.
Loghete
No.. just no. We don't want any new Microsofty web plug-in. Just look back at Active X. In-secure, buggy and overall just a fail, but people just realised that after their Windows had been infected by some evil infection.. again.
fernandoacorreia
Some things for Silverlight:

There is a huge base of developers familiar with Visual Studio and C# or VB.NET.

Silverlight uses the .NET Common Language Runtime. It allows very efficient execution of code. The toolset (Visual Studio) is also of first quality.

So, we can expect many developers to target this platform, extending the expertise they already have.
dickyzin
The new Silverlight version 3 is quite nice as far as I have seen. I've just started programming in silverlight 3 with visual studio 2008. I've used Flash (Action Script) before and I can say from my experience that Silverlight 3 is getting there. I need to wait and see how Adobe will challenge Microsoft in this competition.
amperx
after developing in flash for 4 years, and tried silverlight (4months) for a project, i believe its not on comparison yet, but i think it will get there, but based on adobes news and the upcoming additions from adobe, i think it will leap and ms' toy will need to catch up alot(more).
Agent ME
Adobe finally released a 64-bit linux version of flash not too long ago. Flash finally works right. Another proprietary plugin seems to be the complete opposite of what I want. I'd much rather have some progress with people adopting HTML5, the video tag, and open codecs.
dickyzin
How is HTML5? Is it completely rolled out and how many web browsers have adopted it fully?
I'd like to learn more about it if I get the time.
HalfBloodPrince
Speaking of Silverlight, I've one, that's ONE site where I needed it (Bungie.net). Besides that, never. So I don't see any need to install it. However, without Flash you can't even experience the internet. Flash = 99.99%, Silverlight = 0.01%.
Chinmoy
Firstly silverlight is not a response to flash. It is a response to the adobe air platform. So with silverlight microsoft can deliver applications inside a webpage or an application, much like the adobe air and flashcomponents. There are no javascript code, no bandwidth eater flash content and with the dotnet integration silverlight absolutely rocks.
One file example is sobees, a twitter client for desktop. It outperforms any adobe air based application in looks as well as deliverance.
Chinmoy
Firstly silverlight is not a response to flash. It is a response to the adobe air platform. So with silverlight microsoft can deliver applications inside a webpage or an application, much like the adobe air and flashcomponents. There are no javascript code, no bandwidth eater flash content and with the dotnet integration silverlight absolutely rocks.
One file example is sobees, a twitter client for desktop. It outperforms any adobe air based application in looks as well as deliverance.
Chinmoy
dickyzin
Flash is still popular and is widely adopted. Since Silverlight is new, it will take a while to pick up in its popularity. More sites will start adopting Silverlight in my opinion. This doesn't mean Flash will be any less popular. More organisations running windows and using Microsoft technologies will adopt Silverlight since they are already using .NET platform.
silverdown
I like flash for known reasons, silverlight to me is very bad in security!
blk3
Ive never encountered a silverlight site before, however Flash seems to be on almost all website now adays. Seems like your web browsing experience is not complete if you don't have Flash installed. Right now Flash dominates but who can say if silverlight also becomes popular in the future.
jwellsy
Does the Linux community have an alternative to flash or silverstreak programing environments?
foreverdestiny
Flash, I don't like Microsoft's language syntax.
Chinmoy
ya, i like flash too. Withour the adobe air platform, silverlight would not have delivered this quality of it's UI effects..competition is always good for the end user.
leondevil
I like flash too, but I will try Silverlight and compare which is better. Thanks for the information
FunDa
I've come across only one site that needed silverlight and that was Microsoft's Photosynth website. Photosynth takes lots of photos and stiches them together virtually into a 3d space. So with multiple photos from different cameras and mobile phones of a single place, it recreates a 3d photo(navigation in 3d only) of the place. I was so excited, but then Silverlight was not supported on Linux(*smart Microsoft), so I had to wait till I restarted in Windows to try it out.

Very cunning of Microsoft.

Any other experiences with Silverlight ?
Both the user experience as well as coder experience please ... Smile
Agent ME
dickyzin wrote:
How is HTML5? Is it completely rolled out and how many web browsers have adopted it fully?
I'd like to learn more about it if I get the time.

I believe Firefox 3.5 (Mozilla) and Chrome (Google) support HTML5's video tag. However Google is pushing using the H.264 codec for the video tag, while Mozilla is pushing for strictly open format support only (Ogg/Theora). H.264 is encumbered by patents, which kind of goes against the point of trying to create an open <video> tag, and can't even be used by Firefox as long as it tries to be compatible to the GNU Public License if I remember correctly.
dickyzin
Flash isn't supported on Apple products like iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads.
nivinjoy
Now a days most of the websites are based on Flash and i think they will continue using flash itself. Microsoft was very late in developing this thing. At the time of their launch Flash had already dominated the market. Now Flash is a must for an improved experience of internet browsing.

Without Flash most of the sites would deliver minimum content or its Basic HTML version would not appeal to the people as Flash would do. For example the best example would be Youtube itself. The site is fully based on Flash and its video viewing player is a Flash application. Without Flash installed you don't have a chance to view the Video in Youtube. This would minimize the entertainment factor or the satisfaction factor in the complete internet browsing experience..!!

Maybe Microsoft would try to extensively popularize the Silverlight software. But i don't think it would be easier for them them to get hold of the market share which Flash is currently dominating.
FunDa
I am getting so irritated with this silverlight thing. Since microsoft is in charge, it is needed for photosynth. But there was a site which plays video lectures which was using silverlight. And there was no option to pause and buffer and scroll through the video like in usual Flash embedded videos.

They took all the trouble to host a video like that and it doesn't even have the basic requirements that even HTML5 can do. Mad
Asafe
html5.