FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Python v Perl v php for Wiki advice needed

DoctorBeaver
I'm thinking of installing a wiki package here. I've seen quite a few that seem ok but apart from the php-based wikis I've seen Perl & Python packages.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding which packages are best? I don't want anything flash, just a basic wiki where my members can upload and edit entries.

What, if any, are the advantages of Python, Perl or php over the others? Are there additional overheads I should bear in mind with regard disk space or bandwidth if I go Python or Perl? How easy to install are Python or Perl packages using MySQL compared to php/MySQL?

How secure are file-based packages as opposed to db-based?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated?
Bondings
Php is by far the most popular scripting language for small websites/software and hence also the most supported by web hosts. I guess it also has the most software and tutorials, compared to the others. And by my knowledge perl and python are more suited for system administration, networking and similar instead of plain website software.
DoctorBeaver
Thanks, Bondings.

Do you have any php wiki recommendations?
Bondings
DoctorBeaver wrote:
Thanks, Bondings.

Do you have any php wiki recommendations?

I never installed a wiki nor am I a frequent wiki user (at least edit), so I can't give you advice. I think Wikipedia is using MediaWiki, so that might be a good one - but then again I have no experience about it.
imagefree
Bondings wrote:
Php is by far the most popular scripting language for small websites/software and hence also the most supported by web hosts. I guess it also has the most software and tutorials, compared to the others. And by my knowledge perl and python are more suited for system administration, networking and similar instead of plain website software.

What do you mean by System Administration? Is it the server handling or something else. I was going to learn PHP5 after my exams for a very very complex dynamic site but it confused me, and i dont know whether PHP is suitable for it or not.
DoctorBeaver
php is the way to go if you want a dynamic site. It's pretty easy to pick up, especially if you already know a bit about programming, & most web hosts provide it.

I managed to code a basic site within a couple of weeks & if I can do it, anyone can.

There are some very good tutorials on the net so you won't be short of learning resources.
taytay
I got myself all excited about creating a MediaWiki portion on my web page to try and create some simple yet major bible study site for my church... well more or less for me and a few friends until I'm out of high school and I've adventured my way through college on computer programming classes to make my dream legit. ANYw00t...

I'm a newish member to frihosting so I was assigned to Server 2 which apparently has PHP Version 4.4.4 installed (so my phpbb3 forum tells me). And yet the latest release of MediaWiki (1.10.1) Requires at least PHP Version 5.0.0. I unzipped the contents of my MediaWiki download and when I visited the install page it reported "PHP 5.0.0 or higher is required. ABORTING." Thus leaving me here at 3:30 AM and unable to sleep with a serious dilemma that i only have rights to whine over... lol

Is there any chance that Server2 will get a PHP upgrade any time soon Bondings?

I have yet to test the previous versions of MediaWiki
Bondings
taytay, I'll try to install php 5 at the end of this week.

There seems to be a huge sudden demand for it. Very Happy
taytay
ah ha!!

--Edited out by taytay--

Thank you!!! I feel so special. Wittle bitty taytay help achieve a great thing for many people around the world! My destiny begins...