FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any appreciaters of the RPG genre?

frozenecko
I am an RPG lover if i do say so myself.

From the old school games like zelda for nes and breath of fire to the set of final fantasy games, to star oceans 1, 2, and 3... *sigh* i love them all.

But my favorite by far is Kingdom hearts.

whats yours?
Kudlaty
The best of RPG game is The temple of elemental evil...
this is really good game... made on rules AD&D in the version 3.5...

I love this Game...
Kelcey
Xenogears is by far my favorite rpg.
karepanman
Omega is my fav, though ADOM is pretty good too.

But RPGs are a huge time-drain.
Monkeydog
I unno if Zelda is really considerd an RPG.I consider it an Action Adventure =/

Anyways if you played the game you probably already notice what I like...Chrono Trigger!!!
Chrono Cross too but its not as good IMO.
Also I have played:
-Kingdom Hearts/Chain of Memories
-Suikoden 3(never played 1,2,or 4 Sad )
-Breath of Fire IV/V(never played the others long...i hated V)
-Final Fantasy 1,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10-2,Tactics,and Tactics Advanced(I have 2 and 3 on my comp i should play them...)
-Xenosaga
-La Pucelle Tactics
-Secret of Mana/Legend of Mana,Sekin Denetsu 3(not much of any tho)
-Secret of Evermore
-Megaman Legends 1/2(but this is probably like Zelda)
-Fire Emblem(first one for GBA)
-Tales of Destiny/Tales of Phantasia
-Gurdians Crusade
-Lunar Silver Star Story Complete/Lunar Eternal Blue/Lunar Legends(awesome games)
-Megaman Battle Network 1/2/3/4
-Diablo 1/2
-Radical Dreamers(noone but die hard Chrono fans have heard of it tho Sad )
-Harvest Moon/3/Friends of Mineral Town/the PSX one
-Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Cyrstal/Silver/Gold/Fire Red/Sapphire/Ruby
-Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind(pure awesome)
-Fable
-Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic 1/2
-Chrono Tigger/Cross
-Threads of Fate
-Arc the Lad(first one for PS2)
-.hack//infection/mutation/outbreak
-Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario 2
-Star Ocean 2

probably more that I forgot...but...I...love...RPG's! =D
twiggy
Final Fantasy VIII is my fave rpg
Monkeydog
FFVIII had the worst plot twist ever!
I remeberd two Razz
-Earthbound
-Azure Dreams
RFAFlaymes
I am a great admirer of RPG's of any kind, as long as they can hold me for more than 30 hours, has a good story with incredible music , and nice art styles, then I will definately like it. I can't list the RPG's I have played but I know alot were GBA and SNES ROMS, which 90 of those GBA ROMs were RPGs and 20 of those were SNES ROMs. I also played one RPG for NGC. XD

Anyway, My Favorites this year will be KH2 and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

And to answer that statement, LoZ is an RPG, the only reason you can't customize Link more and get new weapons is because Shigeru decided to keep the weapon system on rails.
MistaKiula
Final Fantasy VII
It's Squaresoft's masterpiece.. by far THE best FF Game ever created. (overall)
Monkeydog
peh Squaresofts masterpeices were the two Chrono games...and VI is soooo much more better.VII is good though but it is waaaay to over rated...
MistaKiula
That could be true.. ChronoCross is rated 10 on GameSpot.com, haven't checked CT yet.. but the song for CC pwns. THAT I would rate something like 9.5/10 for the in-game music.
Monkeydog
the one in the begining?I love it...
You need to play Chrono Trigger or I will find you and kill your family!
BTW Chrono Cross so badly over rated...Although It does have a pretty good story...
kaaos
I'm into RPGs myself, but I don't like stuff like the newer FFs (old ones were great, though) or Kingdom Hearts all that much. I prefer games like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, or Neverwinter Nights. The Star Wars KotOR games were pretty good, too.

I also like Zelda, but, like someone said before, it is more of an Action-Adventure-kinda-thing than an actual RPG. There may be good reasons why I can hardly customize Link, but that doesn't change the fact that an important element of RPGs is missing.

Other RPGs I loved were Gothic 1 and 2 (plus AddOn) and The Fall: Last Days of Gaia.

I can't really name a favorite, but it would probably be a tie between BG2 and Gothic 2: The Night of the Raven. But there are so many other great games, especially older ones for NES/SNES, I can't think of all of them right now, so one of those games may have been even more fun for me.
budazz
i love final fantasy 8 squall lionhart Very Happy
RavenCross
I'm an RPG fanatic.. I really miss my PSone RPG's
1. FFVIII
2. Wild Arms
3. Star Ocean: The 2nd Story
4. Legend of Legaia
5. Breath of Fire III
and many more.. These are some of my top PS RPG's..
But i guess RPG's today have a new definition.. I miss the old days..
Jeff_vella_leone
I like rpg very much but i didnt have much time in playing them much ut i played ff8 and its cool
i think its the best ff i ever seen they say the ff10 is better but ff8 is best story
Monkeydog
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
I like rpg very much but i didnt have much time in playing them much ut i played ff8 and its cool
i think its the best ff i ever seen they say the ff10 is better but ff8 is best story

Yes when you don't pay attention to the crappy plot holes >.>
FF6>>>FFIX>>>FFIV>>>>>all the other FF's
Razz
Nameless
I love RPGs, especially old console RPGs. They are my favourite genre!
skynet
MU it's a lovely game and lineage..
ashen
I love RPG too!
My Favorite are :
> Final Fantasy Series (especially Final Fantasy VII, I realy realy love this game)
> Breath of Fire IV
> Legend of Mana
> Kingdom Heart
> Thousand Arms

Hm... I forgot the other...
Grimboy
My first RPG was Final Fantasy 1. After that I played loads, Jade Cacoon, Crono Trigger, Dragon Warrior and a few more Final Fantasies.
dule
yea definetly my favorite genre.

one of the best were nwn, baldur 1, baldur 2, morrowind, kotor 1,2...
garvalf4
adonthell looks promising : http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/

nazghul, for the fans of old ultima, is well done : http://myweb.cableone.net/gmcnutt/nazghul.html

I hope the development for such games will never end.
Jeff_vella_leone
Monkeydog wrote:
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:

Razz

pls stop flaming my posts on ff8 subject, u where asked by frihost admins to stop the discussion so stop it.
i dont like crono tiger as a whole game for me it suks, but i dont reply to every post i see, that says that crono tiger is great and replying that it suks, thats madness
i keep my openion for myself as the rest of the ppl do or show that i dont like it and thats it no need to say it to everyone that says that Crono tiger is good, thats lame and immature!!!

Grimboy wrote:
My first RPG was Final Fantasy 1. After that I played loads, Jade Cacoon, Crono Trigger, Dragon Warrior and a few more Final Fantasies.

yea i played jade cacoon and its a good game i like it, espacially the way u summon monsters and mix them together into 1, its a good game, old but good, i have the 2 too dont know if the 3 came out though, im outdated on it Razz
Billwaa
I like RPG games, but after a while, I got bored and go to action games. Then after a while, I change back to RPG. I make games more than play games though.
Flarkin
Favorite RPG of all time has to be TES: Morrowind. Waiting for Oblivion to come out and have decided to pass the time playing WoW, but my heart lies with The Elder Scrolls series. The best part I would have to say is the freedom to do what you want instead of being stuck in a static storyline. you can follow the main quest, but there is so much more to explore it keeps the game interesting for more than 20 hours.
Jeff_vella_leone
Flarkin wrote:
Favorite RPG of all time has to be TES: Morrowind. Waiting for Oblivion to come out and have decided to pass the time playing WoW, but my heart lies with The Elder Scrolls series. The best part I would have to say is the freedom to do what you want instead of being stuck in a static storyline. you can follow the main quest, but there is so much more to explore it keeps the game interesting for more than 20 hours.

Yea same here oblivion seems cool
i saw the trailer, it has cool grafics and a cool story too
I cant wait!!!
Flarkin
Graphics are amazing on it! Lots of sleepless nights coming up for sure!
Jeff_vella_leone
Flarkin wrote:
Graphics are amazing on it! Lots of sleepless nights coming up for sure!

hehehe i used to play like 36 hrs strait on a game just stoiping to eat
man that was madness
when i was playen FF8 i did something like that wow i had a sleep of 24 hrs after lol
so do u know when oblivion is coming out?
Keshav
I haven't played even a single RPG till now..hence I really dont know how it feels to play one. Can someone please suggest an RPG which would even run on my old P-3 128MB RAM machine?
Jeff_vella_leone
Keshav wrote:
I haven't played even a single RPG till now..hence I really dont know how it feels to play one. Can someone please suggest an RPG which would even run on my old P-3 128MB RAM machine?

well my m8 has a P-3 and with less ram than u and used to play FF8 (Final Fantasy Cool fine.
i bet its the right game for you and its a cool rpg to start with, beleave me.
Smile
I still beleave that it has the best FF story.
Have fun:)
Flarkin
It has been put off and put off, but I believe Oblivion is finally coming out this March. here is the official site: http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

not sure what they have for info...haven't looked for a few days. It was supposedly coming out this past November/December for the Xbox 360, but has been pushed. As long as there are no bugs, I can wait!
Hanpusu-kun
Monkeydog wrote:

Also I have played:
-Kingdom Hearts/Chain of Memories
-Final Fantasy 3/6 (depending on US / Japanese order) ,10,10-2,Tactics,and Tactics Advanced
-La Pucelle Tactics
-Seiken Denetsu 3(not much of any tho)
-Fire Emblem
-Megaman Battle Network 1/2/3/4
-Pokemon Blue
-Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic 1/2
-Chrono Trigger
-.hack//infection/mutation/outbreak
-Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario 2

probably more that I forgot...but...I...love...RPG's! =D

Those are awesome....
Give me MORE Twisted Evil
sgwreviews
For me it's the elder scrolls which has impressed me most. And with Oblivion coming into view, it can only become better for me.

Flarkin wrote:
It has been put off and put off, but I believe Oblivion is finally coming out this March. here is the official site: http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

not sure what they have for info...haven't looked for a few days. It was supposedly coming out this past November/December for the Xbox 360, but has been pushed. As long as there are no bugs, I can wait!

Well, there is nothing official announced yet, so it still is early 2006.
carlokes
2 of the many rpgs that ive played so far which are my favorites are Chrono Trgigger and Final Fantasy VII but i have to admit that FF7 has the best story/plot i've ever seen in a rpg.

Oh btw other rpg which i played recently and enjoy pretty much was Star Ocean : Till the end of time.
kaikou
I love Kingdom Hearts! And Xenosaga 1. And several of the Final Fantasy games... Yeah... RPGs can be fun Smile
Markoff
Yeah RPG's rule.
I totally love Final Fantasy, I played almost every episode.
Does anyone know the game Lufia? I especially like episode 2.
The latest RPG I'm playing is Paper Mario: the thousand year door.
It combines some action-features whith the RPG, wich is good because you won't get bored by doing the same thing all the time Wink
d-hunter
Zelda and Warcraft>>>... Question
moncader
I agree, Zelda and WoW are the BEST RPG's out therem period.
XxGunner
I'd say:

Outwar:

www.outwar.com

and also ADOM or Omega but since i left them like 1 year ago i dont know how they run now or if they are good or bad so you should still check them out though they still might be good in your view. These kind of games just bore me real fast becasue its all about repition thats all.
linkman2004
I LOOVE FF3 for the SNES. In my opinion that is probably the best RPG ever made. Although Mario & Lugi Superstar Saga was also awesome with it's innovative combat system and the hilarious story. Very Happy
olaf
All time favorite in the department is GOTHIC / KOTOR
diablo is nice but i consider it more of a HACK & SLASH game don't get me wrong i still play it Smile i played more but i forogt , but D&D based games never got my atention unfortunatly got detered by them at first look sorry fans Smile i tried realy i did Smile
jarcelao
I am a big fan of the RPG genre! Definitely my most favorite game genre of all time.

What really hooked me to the RPG genre was the Elder Scrolls series. D&D based RPG games are also good and I think, one of the most underrated RPG game of all-time was the Gothic series which I think is one of the most unique RPG of all time! Very Happy Cool
Frag
Love RPG's and always will, up untill the day they go completely 3d simulation which would be funny. Great game genre which not many other types can beat, weather its a offline one such as Final Fantasy to an online mmorpg like WoW. Its genre will keep growing with games and more fans.
Scaramanga
sgwreviews wrote:
For me it's the elder scrolls which has impressed me most. And with Oblivion coming into view, it can only become better for me.

Flarkin wrote:

Well, there is nothing official announced yet, so it still is early 2006.

There's conflicting stories actually. Bethesda reps keep toeing the "early-2006" line, but some reports said that a source inside 2k Games confirmed a March 24th release. And according to this IGN article, Bethesda DOES have a date, they just don't want to tell anyone what it is. Anyone wanna bet it's March 24th? Very Happy
Monkeydog
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
Monkeydog wrote:
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:

Razz

pls stop flaming my posts on ff8 subject, u where asked by frihost admins to stop the discussion so stop it.
i dont like crono tiger as a whole game for me it suks, but i dont reply to every post i see, that says that crono tiger is great and replying that it suks, thats madness
i keep my openion for myself as the rest of the ppl do or show that i dont like it and thats it no need to say it to everyone that says that Crono tiger is good, thats lame and immature!!!

There is no need to reply to a post that is more than half a year old. >_>

I've been playing Tales of Symphonia lately <3
rory
Hey
I generally only play FPS.
But one day I was at the video store looking for a game to rent out for my xbox and I saw The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind.
I loved it so much that after returning the game.
I went straight to a game shop and bought a copy.
Since then there has only been one RPG I like, and thats The Elder Scrolls range.
I am now eagerly awaiting The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion's release.
You can take a look at The Elder Scrolls at
http://www.elderscrolls.com
Enjoy
Rory
Garnet
Awe I have a hard time seeing why no one likes poor Chrono Cross. That was a good game, and not for lack of being able to compare. The music, like chrono trigger's, was beautiful, and the characters were great, and there were things to do all over the place. I liked Harle.

Anyway my favourite games were FF 7,8, and 9. Final Fantasy 7 still seems like the best game I've played (Kingdom Hearts was excellent but hard to compare since it had a completely different feel to it). Everything about the mid # ffs is packed with quality.
rory
We should all play keen.
Thats a game and a half.
I remember when my dad bought me my own pc for my room. I was only a little nipper and i put keen on and played and played.
Funny how games change isn't it.
It was once simple things like pacman and a 2d man that you could control, now its all graphics, physics, sound.
And also the power of the pc's.
These games need more power then it took for nasa to put man in space.
Why are we playing games on these power boxes, when we could be launching ourselves into another solar system Laughing
Giampi
I used to love RPG's. For a while it was the only genre I would play. However, by the time I saw the billionth Evil Empire chasing after a girl with magical powers central to the story, who accidentally meets a dopey, spiky haired guy with a sword, the genre got kind of stale.

Don't get me wrong, I still like RPG's and still play them. However, I am confident that I'm not missing out on anything by not playing over half of the ones coming out nowadays. They all seem like...carbon copies of each other.
Kelcey
At the same, other genres haven't exactly changed much either.
Jayfarer
I used to play a lot of RPGs, but I got kind of burnt out on them. So I've sort of transitioned into Strategy RPGs for something new. Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle, etc.
benwhite
My good friend and I loved Chrono Cross. It was definitely a spiritual sequal to CT, but was its own game in story and gameplay. The soundtrack was beautiful. The universe was tied in well and the 7 point battle system with colored magic tables was definitely a nice change of pace. I love CT more than CC for nostalgic reasons, but CC is definitely a great standalone game.

I think its biggest problem was that it was very much not CT, or even like CT in most ways. People wanted to see a literal sequel, but CC was a huge departure. A successful one, but it wasn't what people were looking for. A big reason for this is probably that the CC was extremely small and was left mostly to its own devices concerning the game without a lot of control from the big boys. They made the game they wanted, regardless of whether that was the game fans were looking for.
polit
Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment in fantasy but my favourite one from the late '90s is the Fallout saga and Arcanum...

Anyone knows good rogue-like games (ADOM for example, mentioned in an earlier post)?