FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Servers related Queries to the Staff

Scorpio
Hi,

First, I am glad to know that Frihost has got a new server. I have a few queries though!

After server 3 is activated,

1. Is server 2 being closed to new accounts?
2. Will the server 2's hourly restarts stop?
3. Can we expect server 2 to stabilize and work properly?
4. Since the forum has moved to server 3, server 1 would have more space and also there won't be the risk of causing harm to the forums by addition of new accounts.. So, will account transfer requests be accepted on a case by case basis?
5. Will new accounts be added to server 1?
6. Adding new accounts to server 3 with the forums on it may cause instability for the forums due to stupid users running stupid scripts.. How can this be overcome?

I am expecting satisfactory answers to these queries from the Frihost Staff.. Thanks for your time Smile
Bondings
1. I'm not sure about that, but most likely yes.

2+3. I'll be working on that, but with less users and new accounts, it should at least be better than now.

4. I don't really like transfer requests since it's a lot of work. Also most new accounts would probably go to the new server once it is ready.

5. Not in the next few weeks.

6. It's a much more powerful server, so a bit harder to crash. Of course really bad scripts simply take all the resources available, so that won't help. So no it can't be completely overcome, other than taking some preventive measures and constantly monitoring the server.
By the way, this isn't much different from the previous situation since the users on server 1 are very good at those things - I had to suspend an account a few days ago since it was crashing the server with some number/prime calculating script.
rvec
Bondings wrote:

6. It's a much more powerful server, so a bit harder to crash. Of course really bad scripts simply take all the resources available, so that won't help. So no it can't be completely overcome, other than taking some preventive measures and constantly monitoring the server.
By the way, this isn't much different from the previous situation since the users on server 1 are very good at those things - I had to suspend an account a few days ago since it was crashing the server with some number/prime calculating script.

Don't you think the risk of having stupid users would be higher on the server with the most new users?
Bondings
rvec wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Don't you think the risk of having stupid users would be higher on the server with the most new users?

Most likely yes. But I don't think it's something to be so worried about.
Scorpio
Thanks a lot for your answers Bondings! After all has settled down, I would request you to re consider your view on account transfers and if possible set up concrete criteria for transfer so that you aren't bombarded with requests..

Thanks again
GSIS
Server transfers should be possible - but only for two reasons:

1 - An established domain needs a service that is not available on the current server. There is no alternative solution to the problem other than to move the domain to a server that does have that service. That service cannot or will not be installed on the current server.

2 - Load balancing. Entirely at the discretion of the admins. Always with proper planning so that users of the domain can be warned, in advance, that there'll be some downtime for the move.
Bondings
@GSIS, number 1 is definitely a good reason for account transfers. But I would rather like to try to make most features/services available on all servers (apart from the control panels).
Scorpio
Bondings, since you do say that server will probably closed down for new accounts and also hoping that the downtimes and hourly restarts would reduce, I wouldnt mind being on server 2.

I simply am not comfortable with the restarts and downtimes, that's all.. Its kind of difficult to cope with, especially when one is working on the site and it goes down.

So, if you've sorted out that problem, consider my transfer request cancelled Very Happy