FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

php4 to php5 Request

AaronMcMurray
I Need To Convert Over 56,000 php page to php5 before end of life on php4
is there software available to help me automate this process i have been at it for 2 monthe and havnt even made a dent

Post 5 Very Happy Very Happy
snowboardalliance
AaronMcMurray wrote:
I Need To Convert Over 56,000 php page to php5 before end of life on php4
is there software available to help me automate this process i have been at it for 2 monthe and havnt even made a dent

Post 5 Very Happy Very Happy

Umm just run it on php5 with all errors/warnings on and fix what it says. I don't think it's automated, but most well-coded php 4 pages should work. Also I just googled and found http://www.php4tophp5.com/index.html so it might work for what you want. Good luck.
AaronMcMurray
Ok let me clear this up I use php5 mysql5 apache2 on my server now with compat mode = ON
Short open tags = ON the scripts run fine this way actually benchmark better and compress well also
I am looking at the future PHP6 is just around the corner with no php4 support in mind such as $_SERVER_DAA_DAA is now php5 all $_SERVER with no suport for $_SERVER_DAA_DAA so to just make them run in php5 and not look at the future is ignorent like me at times like when i didnt upgrade the first time wich is my prob now i was php4 for years when php6 comes out there will im sure have a php5 compat mode...
So i want to code in php5 proper so when php6 is out its not so bad
Stubru Freak
Do you actually have 56,000 PHP pages? You could keep an older PHP installation running for them, there's no actual need to update.
GSIS
If you have that many pages there must be a lot of commonality between them.

Are they in a content management system, or are they individually stored as php files?

I'm thinking it may be possible to identify the problems (if any) then run a batch update to fix them.
AaronMcMurray
First I Do Have Over 56,000 Pages. I run a real PHP driven web site with actwal content 250 + topics
and my forum about 100 pages
Second there is a lot of comonality between the they are all seperate php files so if tou could explain the bach process a little more LINUX
GSIS
AaronMcMurray wrote:
if tou could explain the bach process a little more LINUX

Identify the changes.

Make a list of the files you need to edit.

Using a small subset of copies of the files develop a shell script or a php script, to read the list, parse the content of each file, and make the changes you need. It might even be possible to do this with a command line editor such as vi, but I'm a long way out of date with this!

When you're happy that the changes are what you really want ...

BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM!

Run the script/command on the whole file set.

Test the system.