FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Passion for Singapore

marua
I'm a Kenyan citizen, staying in Mombasa, a coastal city with beutiful sandy beaches and the host city for IAAF 07 cross-country championship. Could somebody give me information about this place?
jwellsy
Compared to Mombasa, you would find Singapore a big culture shock.
Singapore is very clean and people are very well behaved.
It is the busiest shipping port in the world.
The stores and shopping malls specialize in cheap pirated goods.
iresc
Your visit will not be complete until you've also visit Malaysia. Walk over the cause way and visit Johor Baru, Malaysia. There are more natural scenery there and shopping is cheaper. Very Happy
russel26
singapore is very great place and clean city.. Laughing
ganesh
I had a stopover at Singapore when I was flying from San Francisco to Chennai.

There were two options at the airport.

(1) Take the tour for free organized by the airport authorities

(2) Venture out on one's own.

I chose the latter. Public transportation is very good. I took the train from the airport and went to the important places. But the place is so very hot! Hot and humid, even when compared to Chennai where I had spent a good 17 years of my life! Being from Kenya, I suspect you will not have much problem, though Smile

Have a pleasant stay in Singapore and be a good rubberneck Very Happy
csoftdev
singapore is a well developed city. it's crowded and everything is on very fast pace. even the escalator is running faster than usual at their MRT station. it's clean but everything is well under control of the gov.
tony
iresc wrote:
Your visit will not be complete until you've also visit Malaysia. Walk over the cause way and visit Johor Baru, Malaysia. There are more natural scenery there and shopping is cheaper. Very Happy

yes; this person is quite correct. i spent a lot of time in malaysia and singapore. there is a lot to see everywhere; and yes, malaysia is more wallet-friendly.
greenwoodmonkey
I can't be the only person who has had a less than fantastic stay in Singapore, but seeing as the rest of the comments have been glowing reports I thought I would offer some of my thoughts....

The first thing of note is that Singapore is VERY expensive, in comparison to is neighboring and adjoining Asian cousins...

My first trip to Singapore was a whistle stop 3 days on business, I was set there to report at the last minute and was without accomodation...

Using my travel savvy I thought the best place to find acommodation would be the "free" airport approved travel center in the arrival lounge..

After much ringing around I found a room and was sent by taxi directly.

I paid in advance (at the airport) only to find that the taxi had a 25% levy added by the agency as did the hotel... If I had been told such a fantastic tax had been applied to the service I would have left - however this was cleverly disguised in the bill and I was told I would receive discount wen I reached the hotel to make up for the agency surcharges. Of course that was never given.

My hotel can only be described as a flea pit, and was in the middle of a very dangerous Red Light district, in fact the hotel I stayed at was also a "short stay" hotel for the working girls and their clients that milled outside until 4am

Beer is VERY expensive in Singapore, and despite going there a number of times I have yet to find somewhere where it is manageable. OK, this is a Muslim country at heart, but still it is too expensive.

My suggestion would be to cut short any stay to Singapore and go somewhere else where you wallet will get you more bang for your bucks..

Try Thailand.
Mr_chocool
marua wrote:
I'm a Kenyan citizen, staying in Mombasa, a coastal city with beutiful sandy beaches and the host city for IAAF 07 cross-country championship. Could somebody give me information about this place?

Singapore is a beautifull city.
flowerpower
Quote:
The stores and shopping malls specialize in cheap pirated goods.
That's true! lol

Singapore is
- clean
- hot, hot, hot (but there are lots of shopping malls you can find refuge in Wink )
- very efficient and cheap public transport
- great for shopping
zjosie729
Mr_chocool wrote:

Singapore is a beautifull city.

I thought Singapore is a country, not a city... ?
eienkisu
Haha, I'm a Singaporean! Singapore is a nation, a country.

Lion City was her nick name, the "Mer-Lion" is our national symbol. Now it's evolving into a garden city, trees everywhere -,-.