FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Encrypt Software - ext storage backup

tahoestyle
I just got a refurbed smart disk crossfire 160gb and formating as we speak - I have done some research and a friend of mine recommended storagecrypt2 for encrypting my crossfire. Does anyone use encryption software? I would think that would be a necessary precaution to take. If so, any other thoughts on good encryption software?
Animal
I'd highly recommend the free, open source TrueCrypt. It's one of the most popular cryptography packages available and since it's open source, it can be reviewed for any potential "back-doors" or errors by anyone. This generally helps keep it secure.

To encrypt your whole hard disk, you'd simply create a new "encrypted volume" on the disk with TrueCrypt, and you could set it up to automatically open the volume when you start up your computer. Once you've entered your password, you can just use the encrypted volume as a normal disk. It's also up to you to decide what form of encryption you use depending on how sensitive your data is - you can even use multiple combinations of AES-256, Serpent and Twofish algorithms.

Since it's absolutely free and has an excellent feature-set, I'd highly recommend TrueCrypt.
tahoestyle
There are so many out there and I have narrowed it down to StorgeCrypt and TrueCrypt - both with Encryption algorithms: AES-256 - Just for kicks I am gonna look at thumb recognition software Wink