FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash intros usually are bad but what if...

loyal
peace be upon you all.

I did a bit of research into intros and splash pages for websites. It turns out it's a no-no when it comes to index.html, because not only does a into page waste index.html which is the best page for search engines, it can be annoying for old time visitors.

So i've been thinking about how to put a flash intro and have a normal index file, and i thought what about a popup intro? The normal index.html file loads a popup intro which the user has the option of pressing "skip/close". A script would then place a cookie making sure the flash popup would not appear for the next month.

Does it sound good in theory? Is it realistic?

Does anyone know a script for placing the cookie part? I'm not sure how to write a script telling the browser to place a cookie.

Thanks. Peace! May God bless you all.
imagefree
Quote:
So i've been thinking about how to put a flash intro and have a normal index file, and i thought what about a popup intro? The normal index.html file loads a popup intro which the user has the option of pressing "skip/close"

it is even more annoying.

But if you still want to use the FLASH file as intro, you can use it inside your contents and believe me it makes your site look smarter. Most of the sites do this, and you can also. Just design your index.html page as the first page and just above the middle of the page place your intro. (Size may be any but the 450*250 flash files look the best).

nimo
yekshemash!

I too think that it is even more annoying.
however, i advise you not to use flash intros at all, if your website provides real information.

look at all the portals today - google were the first ones to understand that your users want something slick that loads fast and gives them the information or service they need.

If your website is a personal website meant to show your skills then it really doesn't matter if you have a flash intro page, as long as you dont use the popups (seriously they are the most annoying thing!)

I read about google's philosophy somewhere on frihost forums. look it up, it's really interesting.
MARCIV
nimo +1
irishmark
i run my church's website and currently there is an old flash splash screen. I am developing a new one as we speak!

However! the splash screen only occurs when the browser thinks its a new user ie a cookie.
The site runs of Drupal CMS.:

www.oaktree.org.uk[/url]
Fuzzy-Duck
loyal wrote:
So i've been thinking about how to put a flash intro and have a normal index file, and i thought what about a popup intro?....

...Does it sound good in theory? Is it realistic?

I echo nimo's sentiment - a thousand nos!! Yes you're perfectly correct, flash intros are annoying in the extreme - both in the past and for people with mobile connections, when you have to wait half an hour for them to load, and even now with fast home internet when everyone's used to webpages loading instantaneously, they still 'get in the way'!

Imagefree has the right idea, but I'd recommend placing any integrated flash plugins just below the centre line of the page, rather than above. Save the top half of your instantly viewable 'window' of your front page for your most important content - the message of the site if you like. Then, because flash is usually moving and eye-catching, put the plugin below this and it will not only still be highly visible, it will also draw a user's eye down the page and therefore they'll be more likely to read more of the homepage's content. Perfect!

loyal wrote:
Does anyone know a script for placing the cookie part? I'm not sure how to write a script telling the browser to place a cookie.

I found a really simple tutorial for setting a cookie using JavaScript which took you through the basic setup then branched out into a few useful applications for cookies.

However, I must not've saved it to my favourites as I'm having difficulty finding it right now, typical! It tied in with php as I recall, what scripting language do you use? Just try googling javascript cookie tutorial and something should come up, or follow a few of the excellent links at http://www.htmldog.com/links/

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Cheers,
fuzzy
catscratches
Never ever use intros for webpages! It's so annoying! It doesn't add anything to the page and just looks nooby. No matter how nice graphics it has and so.
cavey
Intros are that extra click the user may not click - they may click the X in the upper right corner of their browser instead... When you surf, you do not like to wait. You often have to wait for the intro to load. Even if there is a skip-button, why should you have to click it? Why shouldn't you come straight to the content instead?