FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What will be the future of Bit-torrent technology?!

What is the future of torrent?
Obsolete due to unimaginable Bandwith increases
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Banned by ISPs due to corporate pressure
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Banned by Governments through international agreemenet like WTO
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

yagnyavalkya
What will be the future of bit torrent tech, Near and distant
I see that near future for it is very bright especially with the predicted downfall of TV
but in the distant future say 10 years the tech may be obsolete as data transfer will be very fast and will be on a selective basis from p to p which means I can just connect to a given number of peers with given number of pieces and download.
I have already hear that in Japan on ecan download 1 hours video in 16 seconds thats really cool
I also think there are legal aspects to torrent tech which are hidden although the tech it self is legal we all know that many files shared are illegal
Is it possible that ISP or govts will block torrents and make countries sign agreements to do so like WTO etc.,
ennnzo
Still the same. No change at all. People will still use them to download illegal stuff..
justy
none of these will be the future of torrent,

and how u so sure, that just only add 3 nonsense points and start Polling..lol

Torrent will live for ever ..Smile
{name here}
If they crack down on torrents it's not like they won't shift back to Telnet or even create their own underground network which can't be controlled.
snowboardalliance
Yeah I think you're missing some poll options like "it won't change." Really I agree that if it really gets banned or something, there will always be some other method of file sharing.
Jaan
this poll is dumb hehe.

Seriously. You need more options.
Peterssidan
people will always download illegal stuff as long as it is illegal. The only soulution to the "problem" is to make it legal. So wich tech is curently the moustly legal will probably be that one that's being used. Hard to know how future will look like.
{name here}
Peterssidan wrote:
people will always download illegal stuff as long as it is illegal. The only soulution to the "problem" is to make it legal. So wich tech is curently the moustly legal will probably be that one that's being used. Hard to know how future will look like.

The problem is everyone is out to make a profit, especially the big companies like the record association and Microsoft, so nobody is going to do anything but restrict music and software until it simply cannot funciton (square records on round tables), and then they die.

John Lennon wrote:

The record companies like to think they own the music. They don't own the music. We don't own the music. The people that listen to it own the music.
Peterssidan
{name here} wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

The problem is everyone is out to make a profit, especially the big companies like the record association and Microsoft, so nobody is going to do anything but restrict music and software until it simply cannot funciton (square records on round tables), and then they die.

Sad but true. I hope more to the politics. It's the way to go. If people want to make it free and there is a democracy people with this thoughts could take the power and make it legal. Maby I dream to much. Wink
spobor
It is true that everyone seems to be in it for the profit.....but let's face it thats the point isn't it. If there are no profits to be made then none of the movies, music and shows that we all love would be made. Maybe a little too much emphasis is put onto the profit side, but I think that is because it is time for the creatives to stand up to the money! Rather than going back to the same jerks who end up taking the biggest slice of the profit pie, reinvest the money you have made and do something on your own. Stick a little bit of advertising on it and then share it through a torrent site. Sure it might not make as much money as it would being over exploited on the TV, but the money is going directly to the people who make it, not to some leech on their side. Bring back the minstrel and the tumbler, who worked hard for their living but were revered for their craft.

Allrighty, had my little bit of a rant, feeling all the better for it =)
ocalhoun
Like many have said, it won't change, in fact, it will grow.

If it is made illegal, they won't go backwards in technology, they'll develop something new to replace it, until they ban that, and so on.

If it is made obsolete, it will be because something just like it, but better, was made. Which is really just another step in its evolution, not a disappearance of it.

And could it be made illegal?

There are legal torrents. Could television as a technology be made illegal if some people broadcasted copyrighted material without permission? Can speech be made illegal because some people say illegal things?
HalfBloodPrince
Yeah, it's not going anywhere. If they make it illegal (which it mostly is) - who cares? If they ban it - who cares? Workarounds will be quickly discovered or a newer, better file sharing technology will surface. All I can say is the keepers of the bay are some badass mofo's.
spobor
I suppose the idea is that Bittorrent technology itself could never be made illegal, simply for the fact that it isn't the technology itself that is the problem, it's what people are using it for. The technology itself can be used for great things, I live quite far from my family (which is quite large) and use torrents to privately share photos and videos, makes it nice and easy to share large volumes of files.

It is the same with any technology, take a look at guns, another legal technology that on it's own cannot do any wrong. Now it ends with the person, do they use the legal technology of a gun to kill another person, obviously and illegal act, or do they use it to go hunting, usually a legal act.

A slightly over the top analogy I'll agree, but it illustrates the point. In the long run it doesn't become a matter of banning a technology but finding a way it can be fit into our society and put to good use!
ocalhoun
spobor wrote:

It is the same with any technology, take a look at guns, another legal technology that on it's own cannot do any wrong. Now it ends with the person, do they use the legal technology of a gun to kill another person, obviously and illegal act, or do they use it to go hunting, usually a legal act.

Perhaps a bad analogy, as many places have made guns illegal?
joostvane
Continue to grow, but we will see what the future holds. You never know. Hasn't The Pirate Bay been blocked by Dutch ISPs? You can't control it all, but things like that can have a big impact if it gets banned.

I know TPB has been blocked temporarly before by other ISPs in several countries. You never know.