FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Feeding the world:what is the future?

what will be the world food grain production in 2025?
3 times that of 2007
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
5 times that of 2007
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
10 times that of 2007
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

yagnyavalkya
It is being said that there is plenty of food for everybody and it will be so for the next few decades provided the production of food keeps increasing at a decent rate.
But one might ask that there are thousands of people starving in poor countries but that again is not due to non availablity of food but rather due to lack of the power to purchase
I have some interesting theoretical hypothesis to make here on the possibility of immense increase in food production to sustain humans population for say the next three Centuries
At present the staple crops like wheat and rice which feed the majority of the population is grown over a period of say few months between sowing and harvest and it is possible only to have a maximum of three crops in a year
Now what I feel is that scientists if are able to unravel the aging gene in these crops and thereby are able to manipulate the gene in such a way to make the crop come to maturity in say a weeks time or even in a months time then we can have about 10 crops of wheat or rice in a year and that would increase the food production by 3-4 times
So here we are presented with a situation wherein we try and lengthen the age of the human being and at the same time try and lessen the age of other living things we can use as food
What do you guys think? Do you all have any other ideas as to how food production can be increased by leaps