FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do you need a dog?

nepheus
Maybe it's a stupid question Very Happy... But can you tell me why?
About me, i like baby dog than mature one because it's lovely...
germy7
I love dogs, I have one myself, but I also wish I had a puppy again.
For me, just having a dog around keeps me happy. He doesn't do any work and is still treated like a prince around my house haha.
GSIS
Many reasons.

- Companionship.
- A guard around the house.
- They make going for a walk a lot more fun.
- They attract members of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you're that way inclined).
- They clean up food spills
- Many do small jobs around the house (NO - NOT THAT SORT Sad ). I mean fetching things!
- They control vermin (and cats).
- Some (guide dogs etc) do very important jobs.
- Many are just good fun to have around.

I'm sure there'll be many more reasons I've missed.
Daisie
We have one for companionship and guarding the house (she is pretty useless at it to be honest, she dont even come to the door when somenone knock...)
Hubby love her to bit but still curse when he has to poopy scoop. She is a lovely thing but I m more of a cat person myself...
I think companionship would be a the top of many people's list Smile
H4x3D
I love dogs, they're loyal and keep me company.
pashmina
GSIS wrote:
Many reasons.

- Companionship.
- They attract members of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you're that way inclined).
- Many do small jobs around the house (NO - NOT THAT SORT Sad ). I mean fetching things!

I agree on all of these, except for my dog also controls monkeys and snake..
My dog is just a good buddy of mine.
sonicj
Simply put, It is man's best friend. They can be a lot of maintenance, depending on the dog, but man do they bring you good times, especially as a child. Our dog is my son's best friend, sometimes I think he loves him as much as me. He is like a family member, and if I forget that my son is quick to remind me. I even have to include him in the group hugs Wink
paul_indo
Dog's are amazing. They are very loyal and fun to play with, not like lazy cats.

I have three dogs, including one Rottweiller and they can demand a lot of time brushing them and taking them for walks. They are cute when they are puppies but also naughty. Puppies always chew things and want to play any time they aren't asleep. When they are older, about 3 years or so, they calm down a lot and aren't so demanding.
woundedhealer
My dog is my companion and also my assistance dog, she helps me because I'm disabled. Because of her I go out every day for about an hour.

In return, I gave her a home when she was no longer wanted by her previous owner. I provide her with 3 tasty meals a day (I know that seems a lot, but it's what the vet recommended) I give her mental and physical stimulation, I'm her protector and she is loved.
Idoru
Why do I need a dog. Or you, as in the question. If you mean me, personally, the answer is different,
but if you mean you in general, there are many reasons.
Dogs are easy to train and bred for different purposes. You need them to make every-day life a little easier and
more fun. You need them to do things a human would question to do, but need to have done. Like sweeping for
mines, to be crude, or searching for dead bodies or narcotics.

Well, there are loads of reasons for needing a dog. For me it's plain 'n simple - Love.
Genesiz
There are several reasons for getting a dog:

Exercise - taking it for walks
Having someone to talk to - i know this is kinda sad, but a dog is like the friend that you can tell anything to, as they won't judge you or tell someone else
Fun - playing fetch, catching balls etc.

A dog becomes part of the family. A dog is your friend, exercise partner and sibling all rolled into one.
jipmerite
A dog is good for guarding the household. But when one goes looking for love, companionship, comapassion and sibling love in an animal, he/she has to realise that there is something missing in his/her life. Are there really too few humans left on earth? I think when a time comes that a person can feel closer to a dog than one's own blood relatives, friends, colleagues and even strangers on the road, it is time to see a good therapist.
Crazy_Canuck
jipmerite wrote:
I think when a time comes that a person can feel closer to a dog than one's own blood relatives, friends, colleagues and even strangers on the road, it is time to see a good therapist.

Hmmm, I believe exactly the opposite. In fact, dogs are capable of 100% unconditional love, unlike almost all human beings. The bond between an animal (especially a dog) and a human is not meant to replace the love of friends or family, but to complement it.

Dogs can actually serve as a model for love for people who do not have that in their lives, such as those who have experienced abuse in their childhood. As such, they are often used in therapy to teach people how to trust and bond with other living things.

Animals also have health-giving benefits: they are proven to lower blood pressure, alleviate loneliness, and enhance positive affect and feelings of well-being.

Finally, you will find that sociopaths almost to a person have a history of animal abuse in their past. The inability to empathize, understand (or care) that other living things have feelings and can feel pain, is one of the characteristic markers of sociopathy.

I would sooner trust an individual who can bond strongly with an animal, than one who cannot.
rheanna
Dogs are better pets I think. Cats can take care of themselves but dogs give you attention and more love than cats. I think. Cats seem to mind there own business.
roboguyspacedude
Dogs keep us company and they are loving companions. The keep us amused when we are depressed and they are just the overall best pet to have Smile
woundedhealer
Dog are good for ones health. Stroking them lowers bloodpressure and makes us feel calmer. Also nothing is more efficiant than a dog for detecting cancer.

I personally know of someone who went to their doctor and was eventually diagnosed with bowel cancer because of her dog. The dog, a rescue started taking a huge interest in a certain part of her body. concerned, she went to her doctor and explained what was happening. She was very lucky, because of her dog, her cancer was detected very early.

The same dog also came to her aid when she had a severe athsma attack. The dog, who is normally quite started barking like crazy. Her landlord was concerned because this was so out of character and went to check on her, and was able to phone for an ambulance.
qazwsx741
i love dogs.i have one of these .it's white and very cute . though it is only 3 months old ,but it knows a lot .he knows his name and weather i am angry. ha! it is really interesting.
lethaltriad
A couple reasons, main one being that everyone in my family loves dogs and animals in general. They are just great and then of course they are good for protection. Having 2 dogs in the house barking and letting you know when someone is close by gives you a little greater sense of security.
Sparky07
I had two dogs, one was a massive one that used to protect the smaller one from other dogs. Dogs are very loya if you treat them right and like many have said, they are great family pets, cats are rubbish, they only come back for food.
woundedhealer
Sparky07 wrote:
I had two dogs, one was a massive one that used to protect the smaller one from other dogs. Dogs are very loya if you treat them right and like many have said, they are great family pets, cats are rubbish, they only come back for food.

There is a saying, you can own a dog, but a cat owns you.
FirecrackerLabels
This list pretty much covers it for me too.

- Companionship.
- Many do small jobs around the house (NO - NOT THAT SORT ). I mean fetching things!
fbcompany
i doubt anyone needs a dog.

It is a nice luxury having a dog though.
Billwaa
Well, I don't need one. But I kind of have one in HK to guard the house and protect me from being attack from other dogs in the villages.
Rico
I need a dog to chew the gangrenous part of my leg off so it doesn’t smell the whole place up and attract the bears.
woundedhealer
Quote:
doubt anyone needs a dog.

It is a nice luxury having a dog though.

Loads of people need a dog in a working capacity or as a companion. There's hunters, gamekeepers, farmers, dare I say poachers?. Dogs can help people and make their lives better by being guide dogs, dogs for the deaf, disability assistance, medical alert and are companions for lonely people. This isn't just a one-way thing though. Dogs need to work. They are at their happiest when they are active. My own dog was first got for me as a companion because I'm disabled, then somebody suggested training her as my assistance dog, which is what happened. She just loves working. It's a form of playing for her, and she's with me 24/7.

Quote:
I need a dog to chew the gangrenous part of my leg off so it doesn’t smell the whole place up and attract the bears

Shocked I do hope you're joking, if you're not, I suggest you find yourself some maggots instead, they'll do a much better job without putting your dog at risk from eating bad meat.
hiquality
Well ... my dad goes to contests with our dog... my brother attracts girls with our dog... i like to play with our dog and he is my companion... and he keeps the thieves away too... he is man's best friend and he is very loyal... so that's why you need a dog RazzRazzRazzRazz
Tumbleweed
GSIS wrote:
Many reasons.

- Companionship.

Laughing they clean up food spills Laughing
I could'nt agree more....and would add they help teach (especially young members of familys) responsibility

rheanna wrote:
Dogs are better pets I think. Cats can take care of themselves but dogs give you attention and more love than cats. I think. Cats seem to mind there own business.

Thats why a cats love is more special..... "Cats choose there owners"....as they say in this neck of the woods
I have a Dog and a Cat...and some Fish, but I would agree Dogs make the best pet.
Bannik
if you give them love they will give you more love back
ThornsOfSorrow
Tumbleweed wrote:
Laughing they clean up food spills Laughing
I could'nt agree more....and would add they help teach (especially young members of familys) responsibility

Very Happy I laughed at that one as well. I can't even count how many times I've dropped something on the floor and then called my dog over to "clean up". My family sometimes refers to him as "Hoover" because of that.

As for other reasons why dogs are great pets, I pretty much agree with GSIS's list except for the point about dogs controlling cats. My dog is a German Sheperd/Rottweiler mix, and he's terrified of one of my cats to the point where he'll wait for the cat to move if he needs to go around him in a tight area. It's quite comical actually, especially since I've heard similar stories from other people who own both cats and dogs.
sabe
There have been many studies that prove that pets can improve your life. Especially those that are alone. People with pets, especially dogs live longer.

Many are less stressed. Have lower blood pressure and are less stressed.
eday2010
Unless you are blind or disabled in some other way, it's not about NEEDING a dog; it's about wanting one. And people want dogs for the above reasons and more. Dogs are just awesome Smile
MzProf
Genesiz wrote:
There are several reasons for getting a dog:

Exercise - taking it for walks
Having someone to talk to - i know this is kinda sad, but a dog is like the friend that you can tell anything to, as they won't judge you or tell someone else
Fun - playing fetch, catching balls etc.

A dog becomes part of the family. A dog is your friend, exercise partner and sibling all rolled into one.

Amen!
royalassassin
i love dogs. i have 5 dogs in my house. they are great companions. loyal and guard your house.
azbuky
You don't need dogs, you just want them around because they make your life much more fun and they remain faithful to you, unlike human beings...