FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you need a degree?

nappa
Seriously, what your profile really wanna tell your employer? Tell him that you was a good student and earn many certification. Or it's better to have many work experiences.

I think people don't hire someone just because they have a pet degree on their neck. However we still want many certifications to proof something. What you guys think? Degrees or experience (in the other words, showing example of your previous works)?
badai
it all depend on the type of job. some like technical support, experience is more important, but for programming, i'll hire those with good result.
loryl
If you want to get anywhere in the world, you'll need at least some sort of poof that you've been educated.

-In a lot jobs, education is a form of experience. Would you rather some high school kid doing brain surgery on you or someone how has been through the rigors of medical school and years of residency?

-Generally speaking, people who are more educated can think more deeply and are more open towards new ideas. It not only comes from being in an academic environment for so long, but also from learning new concepts that change the way we think.

-When comparing within the same job, the more education you get, the greater your starting salary.
GSIS
There's a huge amount of workplace prejudice against people who chose not to go to university.

With a degree you'll be much more likely to be hired in the first place - even with no real evidence that you're going to be capable of doing the job. In all probability you'll be offered a higher starting salary than others without one. You'll have better prospects for promotion. You'll be given more respect by most of your colleagues.

The need for a degree really depends on the job.

I've worked, at all levels, in IT and can state that in reality a degree makes little difference to your performance or your abilities. I've met 'educated' analysts and programmers who couldn't figure out how to open their lunch box, and 'uneducated' ones who have made huge contributions to the system and the company. In this sort of job it's all about aptitude. The big problem for the uneducated programmers was the glass ceiling above which the old boy network would not allow them to climb.

Perhaps this will be useful:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/viewarticle.aspx?id=534157

This man - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sugar - left school at 16 to become one of the UK's most successful entrepreneurs and businessmen. The two degrees he now holds are honorary - awarded because of his success, not because he wasted 2 extra years at school then 4 years or more at university before creating his empire.

In short - having a degree may be useful.

Having a vision and the ability to focus on making that vision a reality are vital. If gaining a degree is a necessary part of that then you need a degree in an appropriate field.
katulong
Jobs.. Any jobs here? Question
LeatherRose
i think it is very important..
i would higher someone with a degree over some one who doesn't.
not only does it show that they are educated and smart, but it shows they have good determanation and will power to keep going through school.
ftv_flung
I agree with you nappa, but it does depend on the type of industry and work etc. As badai said.
KatanaSky
nappa wrote:
Seriously, what your profile really wanna tell your employer? Tell him that you was a good student and earn many certification. Or it's better to have many work experiences.

I believe, having a degree REALLY helps out when it comes to finding a job/career. Employers generally use degrees as a way to filter through candidates for positions. However, I don't believe it's "easier" to get a job if you have a degree - though it does have its advantages.

It is best to somehow acquire BOTH a degree/certification as well as work experience.

Also, there are some cases where people with their Masters not being able to find a job because they are sometimes "over-qualified".

I think it all really depends on where you're seeking employment for it varies from employer to employer. Some people just get so desperate for a job that they accept any thing that is offered. In the end, they are unhappy and I think that unsatisfied employees does not benefit a company and in some cases ultimately even hurts their revenue.

I think the most important thing to do is to try and find a match - what can you offer a company and what can they offer you.
nappa
GSIS wrote:
There's a huge amount of workplace prejudice against people who chose not to go to university.

With a degree you'll be much more likely to be hired in the first place - even with no real evidence that you're going to be capable of doing the job. In all probability you'll be offered a higher starting salary than others without one. You'll have better prospects for promotion. You'll be given more respect by most of your colleagues.

The need for a degree really depends on the job.

I've worked, at all levels, in IT and can state that in reality a degree makes little difference to your performance or your abilities. I've met 'educated' analysts and programmers who couldn't figure out how to open their lunch box, and 'uneducated' ones who have made huge contributions to the system and the company. In this sort of job it's all about aptitude. The big problem for the uneducated programmers was the glass ceiling above which the old boy network would not allow them to climb.

Perhaps this will be useful:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/viewarticle.aspx?id=534157

This man - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sugar - left school at 16 to become one of the UK's most successful entrepreneurs and businessmen. The two degrees he now holds are honorary - awarded because of his success, not because he wasted 2 extra years at school then 4 years or more at university before creating his empire.

In short - having a degree may be useful.

Having a vision and the ability to focus on making that vision a reality are vital. If gaining a degree is a necessary part of that then you need a degree in an appropriate field.

Really nice article you wrote here, yeah the attitude rules. Anyway I'm planing to get my master degree in Ecommerce (My bachelor's degree is computer programming). Not because I want to get a better job, but to run my own Ecommerce business in the future.
caoyuting
i think all people want a good degree ,but i think we should know the learning is the most important to us,if we have enough knowledge ,we can do everything that we we want
Kelvin
most of the time depending on the industry you are in, the needs or requirements are differnet. However in today's challenging workforce with so many graduates entering the market each year, employers are now looking for a minimum diploma or degree. However, experience still is a factor. Employer's will decide if it is worth hiring an experienced worker for $A or just hire two graduates for the same $A spent. So it is quite subjective but a degree will definately help.
bangala
nappa wrote:

I think people don't hire someone just because they have a pet degree on their neck. However we still want many certifications to proof something. What you guys think? Degrees or experience (in the other words, showing example of your previous works)?

How about a combination of both: a good degree and experience?
Usually a degree with good grades serves as a vehicle to obtain the necessary experience.
caoyuting
i think the knowledge that you learn is the most important than the degree,if you know enough ,you can do what you want
Davidgr1200
In order to get a job you usually have to be picked out of a pile of applications - that is where the degree is needed. (I have seen how employers sift through the applications - they don't have time to interview everyone so if they have 50 applications they're going to spend 5 minutes on getting them down to 5: First remove everyone over 50, then remove everyone who is currently unemployed, then remove everyone without at least 2 years experience, then remove everyone who wants a large salary, now remove everyone without a degree - right, just 5 left. We'll interview them.
The interview is where you will have the opportunity to reveal your knowledge, or at least a small amount of it during the half an hour you get.
driftingfe3s
Sure experience is important but some places won't even give you a look if you don't have a degree.
annietime66
Experiance will be the most important mearsuement to hire someone....Razz....
bukaida
A recognized degree is always the getpass of a fresher in the industry.I have seen lots of people who has a sound knowledge and working equaly hard like the degree holders but getting less pay package since they donot have the degree.The employers tend to exploit such people. Also a fresher
with a degree and a fresher with only knowledge, the first one will get preference.Also in the company point of view, it is more easy to convince a client by telling that we have 10 BTech engineer to do your project than to tell we have 10 experienced people to do that.We had examinations from our chilldhood which were nothing but the formal recognition of our knowledges.A proper degree assures the employer about the formal education and basic knowledge of the employee.So an experience is never the substitute of a degree.How many of us will visit a doctor without the degree, even if he treats well and has a long experience?
dricks
Yes you do need a degree. However, it doesnt matter what your degree is in. All that matters is that you spend 100,000 dollars for the piece of paper.
biljap
I was asking myself the same question because at school I never learned something I will really need at work. While I spent time studying for exams some of my friends got experience with the real work and now they are all employed and without degree and I’m still studying. I’d like to choose the same way they did but I believe that I’m going to need degree once… I guess it depends of a company; some want just that you finish your job. If you have a degree it doesn’t have to mean that you’re good at what you do. But big companies ask you to have it, so…
r2holdings
REALLY DEGREE is needed in applying in a large company. 90% large of company hires lame degree holders. I had this problem still in applying. I know I have the edge in computers but in 90% of large companies don't know that 20% of best computer genius didn't have the chance to get to school because of lack in financial aid
natem
Where I live a university degree is the new high school diploma...meaning that it is almost impossible to get a job that pays close to decently without one. I have many friends who have degrees that work at office jobs that they hate trying to gain experience in their field. You almost need your masters degree to get anywhere. People who don't have degrees or some trade certification may have a good job for a while in forestry or mining, but often get laid off as the work slows down or the market changes. My BIL doesn't have anything past high school and he is struggling as an apprentice in carpentry right now. Its supposed to be such a great field, but he either has too much work or not enough, never just a good steady flow of income.
cybernytrix
Totally agree with GSIS's post. I have seen this happen first hand. Currently I am involved in candidate interviews, and when there are a sea of resumes floating around, one of the fastest and most effective method to cut it down is to keep those with decent degrees from decent universities.
So not only are university degree important, where you get it is even more important!
Afaceinthematrix
Having a degree is important, because most people look at that to determine how capable you are of performing the job. However, there are many idiots with degrees. Technically, anyone who has a little cash saved up and has the ambition can fill out all the legal paperwork and start up their own college and b.s. their way into a B.S. degree (or even a Ph.d.). That's what those "Earn your Ph.D in 1 month" scams do. I've researched this before. So really, I don't think a degree should be everything, but unfortunately it is. If I was in charge of hiring for a company, I'd simply give a test to the applicants and see who actually knows their stuff.
patasarriba
If you focus on getting a superficial degree to satisfy short-sighted and shallow future employers, you'll end up with a job full of short-sighted and shallow people. If you focus on developing your skills, you'll be hired by someone who is able to see the big picture and understand people. And you'll be much happier. (At least that's my experience.)
tikitait
OoO this is a good one. I didn't go to Uni just college after school. Now I had to start from the bottom and work my way up. Eventually I did and was running the Technical Support side in a small company.
My mates went to UNI and did a degree, did 2 more years than me in education, they struggled to get a job as they were told they needed experience, but how can you get experience when no one will take you on!
A debate thats been going on for years.
I say try and get a degree and work part time etc with a company at the same time, its the only way I see it. That means then you can have a good education, get the best salary, and some experience so employers will take you on.
chasbeen
I didn't go to university but when I was 20 not many people did. I would like to have gone and now it looks like nearly everyone goes. I have definitely lost out to people who went to University so the answer is YES.
evilryu530
ummm, i dont know if you need a degree......u need communication skills and skills in this world.
chasbeen
I think the previous remark is about going to the "university of life". there are those who spend their lives in "academia" and never go to the "university of life"
Guess I got a "bit of a chip" about not going to Uni Razz
meet in rio
It depends which industry you're going into. I have friends who are going straight fom school into accounting/computer programming and I'm sure they're going to be far more successful in life than me. For other jobs, it's clearly better to have a qualification.

Even if a degree made no difference, though, I'd still be at university. I love being a student and hanging around with other people in my situation. It's a great lifestyle, and I would never trade that in. Yes, I came to university so that I could get a better job, but I mainly came to meet people and expand my interests.
Cddhesh
Good topic to discuss about.I am from software field.In my field degree matters just for clearing interviews.You need to be logically good.Unless you try out practically something you will never get it perfectly.So experience counts more.In Corporate world what counts is your knowledge.Some one has said"Education is what remains after coming out from the college and what you studied previously".That is perfect theme.
A first rank student getting 90% and above if he cant apply his knowledge then it is useless.So according to me experience and knowledge counts more.
Arnie
Some people here are acting as if getting a degree is just a matter of paying some money and spending a few extra years in school/university - while in reality it takes a lot of skill, commitment and effort. At least that's my experience, studying chemistry. So having a degree shows that you passed that test. If people with a degree are underperforming somewhere, perhaps they're at the wrong job, but they surely have proven that they're well trained in whatever they studied.
thejam
Although i am having a masters degree, it hasn't been useful so far. I think it depends in what branch you work. I find social skills very important as well. Besides degree and expierience is social knowledge very important. A good network is sooo important. I still know so many examples of people who have some particular jobs, who are not the most suitable to actually work there. But just because they knew the right people, they got the job.

most people don't end up with a job they studied for anyway. The degree shows a certain capability of intelligence, so does expierience, but only in a more practical way. people allways seem to forget that appearance and social skills can be determent in picking the right person for the job.
frozenhead
Well, it really depends on what field you want to work to. I mean if you want to work in the corporate world, I think degree is a requirement. In the other hand, applied fields like an artist, musician, etc requires more of skill than of a degree.