FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Switch Internet Connect Problem.

cr3ativ3
Ok, I have spent hours on the internet searching for a fix for this I even went out and bought new Ethernet cables thinking maybe the others were broken. Anyways so here is my problem:

I just received two working computer I had one internet connecting so I went and bought a switch to split the connecting between the two computers simultaneously. Now it seems that I can only get one connection working at a time and which computer has it seems like first come first serve.

So my switch is a DYNEX 5 port 10/100 Ethernet Switch, I have one one cable from the modem to the switch and two others from switch to my computers. One computer will get the internet connection the other will get a Limited or No Connectivity error.

Any Ideas? I and I am a tech savvy person so if you think there is a really simple answer to it you can tell suggest it but I will have probably already tried it.

Thanks A Lot!

Edit: I just read that a switch will not allow two computers to work on the internet at the same time unless my isp issued me to ip addresses. Could this be the problem?
ForceRun
Yeap, you need to setup one of your computers to act as a router, or better yet just buy a router. You can find a good router that should handle what ever you need for under $60.
otiscom
As ForceRun says get yourself a router and problem solved.