FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NTLDR missing help

turbosquid
Having been away from home for a few weeks i was not overly surprised to find my girlfriends computer had strangely gone wrong .....again Wink this time when the system begins to boot i get the dredded 'NTLDR missing' error, i have come across this error more than once and have mamnaged to recover from this by doing copying the NTLDR file from the windows install CD and running 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' form the awful windows recovery console. however this time i seem to have hit a dead end as i am still getting the same error even after the above fix. Obviously i can reinstall windowz again but i only want to do this as a last resort. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks

TurboSquid
tefa_taftaf2010
when this problem appear to me i just reinstall the windows

i think this file is made by windows and i think you cant copy it from any one

this is my idea
blueray
Make sure the system partition is active.

Use some hard drive partitioning app to make the system partition active.
Such as MS-Dos fdisk or linux fdisk etc.

Please let me know if it does't work. (by PM me, Thanks)
wlfgngct
Try booting off of your XP cd, and choose Repair rather then Continue. Follow the prompts until you ge to the DOS Shell. At the prompt, type: chkdsk /r and hit enter. This will do a normal chkdsk with the repair option. We use this all the time here at work, and normally works like a charm.
Bones
Check out this article on the Microsoft knowledge base if nothing else works.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555304/en-us

I think if you try to fix the issue by copying the files from the Xp disk, that you need to copy ntdetect.com as well.
DecayClan
There is a nice little program, that you download it, put it inside a floppy, and boot from it... then after you get into windows, you just run a .bat file that it has, and Vuala! ntldr is fixed Razz

Simply follow what they say at this page, and your problem will be solved

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Wink

The easiest and fastest way to solve it
froginabox
This means that your hard drive configuration has changed somehow, or at least the system thinks the config has changed. The NTLDR is used by Windows to boot, so you kinda need one. There are tools online to fix this (a quick Google search should yield some solutions), or you can reinstall Windows.
czc587
This can be a nasty problem and not easily fixed short of an O/S reinstall. If you cannot fix it you can still get the data off by using some type of data recovery software, something like ontrack data recovery. You could also get a new hard drive, make it your new operating system drive, then use this bad one as the D Drive. You'll them be able to read the files and get your data off. It's possible that the drive is going (gone) bad so even if you fix it it might corrupt again. Check the drive's smart values to tell you it's condition. ( Yes this has happened to me in the past too )
romaop
NTLDR missing happened to me a time ago. I searched the net and found some ideas. I got the file but then other files were missing. Being unable to solve the problem, had to reinstall windows.
By the way, consider backing up your data.
Diablosblizz
Ironically, I got this same error last night. I had to reformat both my hard drives and fiddle around with the cables to get it working again.

All I tried to do is add another hard drive, but because none of them have pins it didn't turn out well.
indiabelievers
With this problem i would just reinstall windows. NTLDR is a very important file for your system used to boot windows. If you dont want to reinstall windows fresh, then try to repair it using the windows disk. i would highly recommend doing a fresh install of windows.
cvkien
if me, after the installation, windows and others software, i will do some ghosting... i use symantec ghost to copy the whole partition image, and if something happened one day, i can recover using it and within 5 minutes if it run in my harddisk, but takes about 30 minutes if burn to dvd.

i did ever have this problem before and i also tried several method, using bootcfg, fixboot, recopy ntldr but seems like non working. and my last choice is rather than reinstall again or using repair system, i use ghost to ghost it back. that all.
MarzEz
i agree with wlfgngct and indiabelievers, repairing with xp's the way to go. xp should be able to repair itself, it usually works for me. alternatively, use gparted on a linux live cd, create a new partition, install another version of windows on that, and either use that version of windows as your base OS, or use it to repair the other copy of windows.
Alternatively, just install Ubuntu 7.10 on the new partition. since 7.10, Ubuntu now reads NTFS.
conandoyle
try copying the "NTLDR" file from Windows Setup CD...
you can find this file in directory "i386", it compressed in file *.cab
just extract it using "extract.exe"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
shenyl
Oh, I saw the initial posting date Aug 2007, and still many are posting their help and comments. But I have not seen any reply from

turbosquid

on how is the outcome.

turbosquid, would care to keep us updated?

With regards
[FuN]goku
i had a similar problem when i partitioned vista with xp.. i managed to fix it by getting rid of vista and running the recovery console on the xp boot disc XD
mrcblake
turbosquid wrote:
Having been away from home for a few weeks i was not overly surprised to find my girlfriends computer had strangely gone wrong .....again Wink this time when the system begins to boot i get the dredded 'NTLDR missing' error, i have come across this error more than once and have mamnaged to recover from this by doing copying the NTLDR file from the windows install CD and running 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' form the awful windows recovery console. however this time i seem to have hit a dead end as i am still getting the same error even after the above fix. Obviously i can reinstall windowz again but i only want to do this as a last resort. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks

TurboSquid

My friend I have had this problem too. You have two options. 1 Take the hard drive out and connect it to another computer as a slave drive and save everything you want to keep to the other hard drive. If you do this I would create a folder on the other hard drive and save every thing there. Then format and reinstall windows.
2 You can do and inplace install and you will not lose any of your information. I am assuming you have windows xp. If you need help doing an inplace install let me know and I will send you a detail text file giving you step by step instructions. Cool
welshsteve
The first thing to check is that there isn't a floppy in your drive, or a CD in your CD drive. That's usually the cause. Failing that, make sure your master hard drive is in the boot sequence in the BIOS> If it is, then yes, I would run the recovery console to try and repair Windows. Make sure you know the Administrator password or you won't be able to do this. Failing all that, you'll have to re-install Windows. If you don't want to lose your work, and don't have the option of taking out your hard drive and backing it up onto another disk in another PC, the best way around the problem would be:

1. Install another copy of Windows in the same partition.
2. Boot to the second copy
3. Backup everything you need using your CD/DVD writer
4. Boot from the Windows CD and format the hard drive from install Windows again from scratch.

Seems a long way around things, but it's the only way to save your work, unless you can afford a new hard drive for the machine. If you can, buy another hard drive, switch your existing one to SLAVE, and install Windows to the new one.
FunDa
I saw and repaired the NTLDR missing error on 2 of my friends computer in the past 1 month.

Both of them had enabled visibility of hidden and system files and suddenly somehow thought that NTLDR was a virus. They deleted the file and next time they restarted, it gave this error.

The repair is very simple if you have a windows XP CD.

Boot into the Windows XP CD
Choose the repair option.

The next step is to insert a USB pen drive or a CD which contains the NTLDR file (I copied it from my computer's c: )

It is a sytem file and might need the setting to be changed to make it visible.

Then, after inserting the Pen drive or CD or whatever, copy the file to the computer's C:

exit and restart. Usually, they delete the boot.ini, autoexec.bat, msdos.sys and io.sys files too thinking that they are viruses. So copy all these files into your pen drive if needed.

This worked for me, but some of you might find the DOS commands (Black screen typing) difficult to follow.

The prettier option for that will be to boot using a Linux CD (like Ubuntu) and to copy the file from the pen drive to the C: (C drive)

All the best. Very Happy
showarea
if you haven't deleted this file, you can use following commands in Windows Repair Consul:

fixmbr
fixboot

That schould help...
cvkien
you can reinstall the windows system without touching you files. just boot into the xp cd, then keep on continue, then in the select partition windows, press r to repair and then it will reinstall the system files only. your program and files will not gone. if you taking so long time to do all that unsuccessful method, why not do it with a useful method. anyway, good luck to you.
essey
NTLDR is an acronym for NT Loader. It is the first file that happens to be loaded during booting after the BIOS booting process has completed its process. Encountering this problem suggests several things:

1. Harddisk (HDD) not properly connected.
2. Operating system missing
3. Corrupted MBR table (probably by a virus, or physical corruption)
4. Corrupted file (ntldr)
5. Corrupted operating system
6. Floppy disk (FDD) could be in the drive
7. BIOS references wrong drive
8. Wrong jumper settings

There are several ways to handle this than re-installing. Re-installing, as you said, should only be a last resort. Ways out include:

1. Open the system cover, make sure the primary drive that contains your operating system is
set as the MASTER (check the jumper settings).
2. Make sure your the HDD (hard disk) is properly connected.
3. Ensure there is no floppy disk in the drive
4. On system boot, go to your BIOS settings and check to ensure there is the option to boot
from the driver
5. Last Option: Connect your drive to another system as SLAVE, and run the CHKDSK
(chkdsk.exe) utility to attempt to repair the MBR table, and scan for viruses.
6. If you really don't need to reinstall completely, boot the system with your Operating System CD
(e.g. Windows XP) and repair.

Success!
bulek
Just check out this link and read everything:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
LostOverThere
Sorry for the rather large bump but I figured It would be more use posting in here then creating a new topic.

I'm having the same problem. I don't know how it happened, but I installed Ubuntu on another partition just in case I needed to back up my data and you know what? I can't mount my Windows drive. Sad

I've tried everything that's been suggested here and nothing works. Whenever I select Windows from the grub menu it gives me the NTLDR not found error message, even if I've copied the two files across. Fixmbr and Fixboot don't work, and when I ran chkdsk everything was perfectly fine.

Any suggestions?
sanalskumar
turbosquid wrote:

Thanks

TurboSquid

When you are copying NTLDR file from anywhere ( may be it is from CDs, other systems...), make sure that you are not copying an old version. Means NTLDR of Win XP without service packs may not work in Win XP SP2. You can use the normal copy command. Booting from Win 98 bootable CD is the ideal way, which is more simple than XP recovery console...
Gilly
I have this problem on one of our electronic classrooms.
The system flings up the NTLDR file missing or corrupt, but the HDD will boot up as a Master HDD in another PC and another HDD will boot properly in the original PC.

Any ideas?
FunDa
Definitely..

Copy NTLDR from a normal computer.

It's a hidden system file, so do the needful and then copy to a USB drive

Then boot the computer with a windows disk, got o repair option and copy the file to c:

I know coz I've done it atleast 3 times.

Somehoww booting with a Linux CD did not give me full access or something.

But Linux might work too, if u know ur way to use Linux
defecto
OK im not sure if anyone posted this yet but i would like to add to this.. I have had this problem many times before. I hated having to reinstall .. some times i didnt back up any thing and had to lose everything. this sucks and is a big problem for people.

Any how what im wanted to add was when you create your partition . only make the partition 15gb. That way if something should happen like this you could repartition and not have to reformat. I then go in to diskmgmt.msc and make the remaining space a second drive and use to store all my data.

I hope this help some people. and good luck!
jdelfire
showarea wrote:
if you haven't deleted this file, you can use following commands in Windows Repair Consul:

fixmbr
fixboot

That schould help...

he is right no need for any copy of files....

just boot in windows cd
go to recovery console
fixmbr
fixboot..

been doing this for millions of dell customers....
FunDa
So its there for so many people. I thought my friends were the only ones who went around deleting system files.

Does fixmbr work without copying the ntldr even if the file was deleted ?

My friends told me that they deleted the file because "it looked like a virus" Laughing