FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

List your instruments

clydejaw
i have a:

2005 Mexican Fender Jazz Bass (sunburst)
- 300W GK backline 600
- 4x10 300W Warwick Cab
- Big Muff
Ibanez J.E.M (white)
- Mesa Boogie f-100
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic (brown)

other shit ones:

Ashton Acoustic (black)
SX classical nylon acoustic (sunburst)
Alvarez Electric Acoustic (blue/black)
Aria Pro II Bass Guitar (greyish green)
Ashton Bass (Blue)
- 70W Ashton Bass Amp

Now post what you got Very Happy
The Mitchell
Computer Spec:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core Laptop
2GB RAM
Focusrite Saffire Pro 26io Sound w/ Focusrite Green Series Preamps
ATI Radeon X1300 128mb Graphics
Cubase SX3
Reason 3
Ableton Live 6

Studio/ Monitoring Equipmet

Alesis M1 520 Active Studio Monitors

Mics:

2 x AKG C1000s Condenser
4 x Shure SM58 Dynamic
1 x Shure SM57 Dynamic
1 x JTS NX2 Bass Drum mic
4 x Sennheiser e604 tom mic

Effects:

Rack Mount:
Zoom 1201 multi fx
Alesis Midiverb 3 Multi FX
Alesis Micro Nanocompressor
Vesta Ge31 Graphic Equaliser
Electrix Filter Queen Filter Factory

Stompboxes:
Boss DS1 distortion
Sovtek Big Muff fuzz
Boss PH3 phaser
DHA Valvetone Valve Overdrive
ExpAn Sandwich Echo (w/ delay time expression control)
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Tremelo/Chorus
2 x Ibanez DE7
Crybaby Wah Pedal
Behringer EQ
Electro Harmonix Hogs Foot#
Boss Tr2 Tremelo
EHX Hogs Foot Bass Booster

Amps:
HH Electronics 100Watt Head Unit
Hartke Transporter 1x15" Bass Cab
Marshall MG15CDR 15Watt Guitar Amp

Guitars & Basses:

Guitars:
Custom Fender Squier Stratocaster (w/ humbucker in bridge and modified electronics)
Custom Telecaster Copy (w/ fender squier stratocaster neck)
Epiphone SG G400

Basses:
Ibanez Ergodyne EDB600 4-string

Synths & Keyboards & Midi Controllers:
Roland Juno 6
Behringer FCB10 Foot Controller
Assorted Midi keyboards

Misc Other:

2 x ATR DI-Box
4 track stereo/mono mini mixer
Airband Radio
Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller
a horrendous amount of cables

clydejaw
DUDE.

you just totally killed me!

That's some sick ass equipment!

So i'm guessing you do all the recordings at home? I've done some through this shitty ass laptop that i have+ some shitty as karaoke microphones + cooleditpro.. haha

www.purevolume.com/darkskiesandyou

Not my real band, just an account to upload my little funky demos... but yeah.. you can tell when bad quality demos are recorded when its all buzzing in the background! >.<

I gotta get me some good mics!
Insanity
Uhm, I have a crappy low end Yamaha acoustic guitar and an equally crappy low end Casio keyboard. Yay.
giovle
Wow The Mitchell ... damn! Surprised If I had the space and the money ... But maybe later, never say never Razz

Now, what I'm playing:

Me as a bass player:

Ibanez SR505 bass (5strings)
    Yahama RBX374 bass (4strings)
    Ampeg SVT-3pro bass amp
    Ampeg SVT-410HLF bass speaker
    Peavey bass speaker

Me as a pianist:

Roland RD700 stagepiano
    Roland G800 workstation
    Yamaha EMX88s powered mixer
    JBL 450watts speakers

Me as a sound engineer:

Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24/4/1 mixer
    Alesis IO|2 audio-interface
    Cubase LE4

Misc.:

Some Shure SM58 mic's
    huge load of cables
    My van (that absolutely rocks cause you can just put all of the above inside and still there's room for more!!!)
The Mitchell
hehe. im studying my final year as a sound engineer and have been playing in bands for over 8 years i think now so i started collecting most of the pedals about 6 years ago and then kinda got addicted. once i got into studio sound etc it all got a bit out of hand. most 16 year olds spent their money on beer but i felt that music grear was the way. Im a bit of a geek.

oh yeah add a numark total control dj mixer to that Wink
get in!
The Mitchell
clydejaw wrote:
DUDE.

you just totally killed me!

That's some sick ass equipment!

So i'm guessing you do all the recordings at home? I've done some through this shitty ass laptop that i have+ some shitty as karaoke microphones + cooleditpro.. haha

www.purevolume.com/darkskiesandyou

Not my real band, just an account to upload my little funky demos... but yeah.. you can tell when bad quality demos are recorded when its all buzzing in the background! >.<

I gotta get me some good mics!

also yeah. cool edit is a sound little program. its not what i would use for my purposes but as a daw its a sound prog. in terms of mics thats where your biggest problem will be. i cant drum it in enough to get the sound right at the source. I did a recording with a friends band the other day on which we spent 2 days setting up drum mics in the correct place, tuning drums, taping up mics to stop rattling, making sure no cables were loose. That too nearly 2 whole days. We spent 30 minutes recording. Usually it doesnt take this long although problems with the drum kit and the cymbals needed sorting but even so it was worth it. the drum track now sounds extremely solid which is exactly what we wanted.
Having said that the cymbals were cheap crappy dead one. We had nothing else and hence had to use them and it still really stands out in the mix now. We got the best tone we could using terrible equipment but thats the way it goes. The way ive always thought is that your equipment is only as good as your weakest piece. You can have a 50,000 pound studio with a pair of computer speakers and the whole quality of everything else is lost. But the best advice i can give is always get the best sound before the mics rather than trying to alter it afterwards.
The Mitchell
giovle wrote:
Wow The Mitchell ... damn! Surprised If I had the space and the money ... But maybe later, never say never Razz

Ampeg SVT-3pro bass amp

Roland RD700 stagepiano

and you were wowing at mine.

also

clydejaw:

there is a quiet bit at the end of your song with just guitar. make sure your guitar is perfectly in tune for those chords. if you cant get it quite right get your intonation sorted. If it is your intonation you will notice all of your guitar parts will suddenly sound horrendously better. but yeah that guitar at the end is out of tune. i like the song though. some cool ideas. stick at it.

also

www.myspace.com/themokitaproject if anyone is interested Wink
clydejaw
The Mitchell wrote:
giovle wrote:

Ampeg SVT-3pro bass amp

Roland RD700 stagepiano

and you were wowing at mine.

also

clydejaw:

there is a quiet bit at the end of your song with just guitar. make sure your guitar is perfectly in tune for those chords. if you cant get it quite right get your intonation sorted. If it is your intonation you will notice all of your guitar parts will suddenly sound horrendously better. but yeah that guitar at the end is out of tune. i like the song though. some cool ideas. stick at it.

also

www.myspace.com/themokitaproject if anyone is interested Wink

Ahh, sweet ass.

Yeah I was in a rush in this project. Just wanted to get something done in less than 15 minutes. Just wanted to see if my band was interested in this demo.

this is my band: www.myspace.com/forobviousreasons

The recordings are also still budget.. given only max of 4 hours to set up + record..for each song and having to rush the setup of drums in 2 hours. It was a bitch Very Happy.. maybe once we get enough money we'd start getting some professionally done Mad
Andrew426
Ibanez RG
J&D les paul copy w/bigsby vibrato
custom flying V
SX jazz bass
Cataluna western acoustic.
I use an ashton GA4012 because I was looking for an amp in a hurry and that was the first I came across.

As far as recording, my boss pretty much lets me use whatever I like. Last time we recorded we used 3 shure beta 58As, 5 SM57s, an (AKG?) d112 and a couple of oktava overheads, as well an AKG active DI for bass and a pair of mackie 450s as studio monitors, and mixed on an unknown model DDA.
catscratches
Quote:
It looks like a bomb!!

Myself I only have an electric guitar.
deStructuralized
Mitchell--That is an insane setup! I'm extremely jealous.

DAW
- Acer 3000 series Aspire laptop, soon to be replaced by a full time workstation.
- Raw parts for the new PC: motherboard, sound card, video card.
- Programs: Acid Pro 6, several VSTs (Battery 3 has just replaced my old drum sampler).

MIDI controllers
- Oxygen 8 V2.
- MPD16.
- Tascam US-428 control surface.

Monitoring
- Current: Beyerdynamic DT770s.
- Just acquired: Audioengine A5's.
(Behringer Truths were without question my first choice, but the A5s will be good for casual listening as well. Current goal is to get a "regular" monitor and "studio" monitor in the studio for A/Bing.)

Other Instruments
- Fender Squier Stratocaster, which I might try to trade in for a bass.
- Numark TT200 hooked up through a DM1050 battle mixer.

Recording
- Shure SM58 hooked up through an ART TubeMP preamp.

Upcoming investments:
Finishing up the PC.
- AMD Athlon 2.20 GHz.
- 1GB RAM.
- Fans, case, LCD monitor, XP Home.
- Hard drive--probably about 250 gigs, and probably will load my current external into the PC as a second drive.
Andrew426
Just swapped my Ibanez RG for a vantage T50R valve amp. Excellent sounding amp. ten minutes after I got it my friend offered to trade his 100watt fender performer w/tube preamp - But I think Il hold onto the vantage a little while, atleast till I get bored with it.
SimonWSTS
J&D 2400 fretless electric bass
Yamaha RBX270 fretted electric bass
Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 combo bass amp
Behringer BD-100 bass overdrive pedal
Zoom 506II multi-fx pedal

Brunswick BTK50 acoustic guitar
Hondo H76 electric guitar

Custom Drum Kit:
Sonor Force 3005 snare
Mapex M birch 22" bass drum
Mapex M birch 8" rack tom
Mapex Saturn 16" hanging tom
Stagg cymbals
(LP aspire bongos)

PC running Cubase SX3
Tascam US144L USB audio interface
Samson C01U large diaphragm condenser mike
T.bone SC140 small diaphragm condenser mike
Audio Technica MB100 dynamic mike

Yamaha DGX-305 keyboard (with midi out via USB)
Hammond 60's two manual organ (don't know the exact model)
Samick baby grand piano

Jupiter 500 series alto saxophone

Setup is a little more modest than the mega one described above but it does the trick for everything I want to play and record!
froginabox
Way too much stuff... I'll describe my live rig for keyboards and guitar, I won't even go into what's in the closet. See, I love going to shops and garage sales and asking for the broken guitar effects and whatnot and then rehabbing them (usually just need a few cheap little parts, some cleanup, and some resoldering).

Keyboard live rig:
Dual tier stand ("On-Stage" brand heavy duty)
bottom keyboard - Yamaha YS-200 (old-school FM-esque synth)
Lexicon Lambda box -> 15" MacBook Pro. The box takes a MIDI out from the Yamaha, I control Absynth, Reaktor, and sometimes B4 with it
A/B switch to go between audio from Yamaha keyboard and laptop to amp

top keyboard - Nord Lead 2X
Ibanez WD-7 "weeping demon" wah, low range setting, Q set just above 12 o'clock, bass maxed
no-name brand distortion pedal - Dist dimed, other settings as desired
Line 6 UberMetal - no compressor or noise gate, settings as desired
Electro Harmonix "Bass Balls" - distortion on or off to taste, sensitivity around 12 o'clock
Big Muff Pi - sustain between 1 and 3, tone in the sweet spot just after 12 o'clock (if you've used a Pi, you know what the sweet spot is)
Yamaha sustain pedal
home-brew expression pedal

All this runs through a Sunn Beta Lead - two channel guitar amp that I've messed with a bit to repurpose. Has 2 channels, A and B, footswitch lets you choose A or B or both... also has a middle input that lets you plug one thing in and then you can choose to route it to A or B or both... nifty feature. I use the built-in reverb and crank it up.

For guitar, take the top keyboard rig, substitute either a 1987 Charvel Model 6 (red w/ a Floyd) or my crappy little $90 Epiphone Les Paul Junior knock-off (black with a crappy fold-over bridge), and take away the bass balls pedal.

I used to have the Line 6 DL-6, the green one...
David_Pardy
Yeah... Well... I'm a drummer! All acoustic, baby!

Drums:
Gretsch USA Maple in Cherry Red stain finish:

10", 12", 14" toms
22"x18" bassdrum Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
14"x5" snaredrum

Gretsch Black Hawk 12"x5" Steel snaredrum
Sleishman 14"x6.5" Jarrah snaredrum

Cymbals:
18", 19" Paiste 2002 crash cymbals
17" Sabian AAX studio crash
13", 14" Paiste Signature Dark Crisp hihats
20" Byzantine Rock Ride
16", 20" Meinl Byzance Chinese cymbals
8", 10" UFIP Class Series Splashes

Percussion:
Rhythmtech Tambourine
DXP High and Low (red and green) blast blocks

Hardware:

Pearl Eliminator double pedal (chain drive - I want straps)
Tama Iron Cobra lever-glide hihat stand
Tom mounts, snaredrum stand, most cymbal stands - Gibraltar
A couple of other different bits of hardware brands
froginabox
David_Pardy wrote:
Pearl Eliminator double pedal (chain drive - I want straps)

Coming from a non-drummer here, what's the advantage of straps vs chains? Or at least the differences.
David_Pardy
A good quality strap, like the ones you get for the Eliminators has a little tiny bit more 'flex', gives a smoother feel on the pedal and they don't 'fold' like a chain does.

Most drummers I know prefer straps on the eliminators to chains, and my experience with other strap driven pedals in the past has been quite good.

Chains are generally more durable though, but the Eliminator straps are quite good, and I think they're considered unbreakable.
froginabox
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I've seen both before.
The Mitchell
froginabox wrote:
Way too much stuff... I'll describe my live rig for keyboards and guitar, I won't even go into what's in the closet. See, I love going to shops and garage sales and asking for the broken guitar effects and whatnot and then rehabbing them (usually just need a few cheap little parts, some cleanup, and some resoldering).

Keyboard live rig:
Dual tier stand ("On-Stage" brand heavy duty)
bottom keyboard - Yamaha YS-200 (old-school FM-esque synth)
Lexicon Lambda box -> 15" MacBook Pro. The box takes a MIDI out from the Yamaha, I control Absynth, Reaktor, and sometimes B4 with it
A/B switch to go between audio from Yamaha keyboard and laptop to amp

top keyboard - Nord Lead 2X
Ibanez WD-7 "weeping demon" wah, low range setting, Q set just above 12 o'clock, bass maxed
no-name brand distortion pedal - Dist dimed, other settings as desired
Line 6 UberMetal - no compressor or noise gate, settings as desired
Electro Harmonix "Bass Balls" - distortion on or off to taste, sensitivity around 12 o'clock
Big Muff Pi - sustain between 1 and 3, tone in the sweet spot just after 12 o'clock (if you've used a Pi, you know what the sweet spot is)
Yamaha sustain pedal
home-brew expression pedal

All this runs through a Sunn Beta Lead - two channel guitar amp that I've messed with a bit to repurpose. Has 2 channels, A and B, footswitch lets you choose A or B or both... also has a middle input that lets you plug one thing in and then you can choose to route it to A or B or both... nifty feature. I use the built-in reverb and crank it up.

For guitar, take the top keyboard rig, substitute either a 1987 Charvel Model 6 (red w/ a Floyd) or my crappy little $90 Epiphone Les Paul Junior knock-off (black with a crappy fold-over bridge), and take away the bass balls pedal.

I used to have the Line 6 DL-6, the green one...

a man who likes his doom by any chance? Sunn amps are amazing.

just got one of these in the post Smile

EDIT: OOPS image was a bit big!
louderthanbombs
I've got a firstact sunburst guitar lol, and a harmonica and tambourine which I tied some string to so I can put it on like a guitar strap. Oh and a fender amp 30 watts that i'm borrowing from my friend.
froginabox
The Mitchell wrote:

(snipped)

Oh you bet.
There's a full stack of the original Sunn Model T in the basement and a 300T with a 4x12 and a folded horn 2x15 in the practice space. Tune to subsonic, fire up the distortion and let it RIP! I can make people sterile at a hundred yards if I run both of them together....

[edited to fix quote tags]
pudovkin
A MacBook Pro. hehe Wink
The Mitchell
froginabox wrote:
The Mitchell wrote:

(snipped)

Oh you bet.
There's a full stack of the original Sunn Model T in the basement and a 300T with a 4x12 and a folded horn 2x15 in the practice space. Tune to subsonic, fire up the distortion and let it RIP! I can make people sterile at a hundred yards if I run both of them together....

[edited to fix quote tags]

nice!

pudovkin wrote:
A MacBook Pro. hehe Wink

bastard!
spinout
Hofner guitar archtop 68
GFI pedalsteel D-10 8+6
Fender telecaster 80s US
Fender BAnjo
Contrabass (noname) 70s

Fender bassman ten '73
vox 8 bassamp
vox 10 bassamp

Boss fender 59 bassman pedal
danecho
hagstrom tapeecho
dacode
Hi all,

Sonor Phonic drum kit
Sabian AAX hi hats
Zildjian A and K rides
Paiste 2002 crash

Ludwig LM 400 snare drum
Gretsch snare
Sonor snare
mjohnson
I only have a guitar and a chinese fleet. the guitar is very old ,I have not play it for a long time.
Yantaal
i have:

Peavy Jazz bass
Headless bass, i forget the make
And some other bass i forget the make again

my headless bass it hot shit,i have alwasy wanted one and now it is mine!