FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Graphics cards

what type of graphics card do you have?
nvidia
81%
 81%  [ 26 ]
radeon
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
other
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

MarzEz
I have a 32mb nvidia riva tnt2. it sucks, and the drivers are nearly extinct. Thanks to driverguide, it now does up to 1280x1024x32!
MarzEz
MarzEz wrote:
I have a 32mb nvidia riva tnt2. it sucks, and the drivers are nearly extinct. Thanks to driverguide, it now does up to 1280x1024x32!

that was NOT an ad for driverguide, i just love it heaps!
tempdbs
MarzEz wrote:
MarzEz wrote:

that was NOT an ad for driverguide, i just love it heaps!

I Voted for nvidia... as it was incorporated in my laptop.

The performance was superb especiall y when I'll play huge Games on my laptop.

This Graphc card made my laptop more good looking.
wabik90
I have nvidia Geforce FX5500 256mb . Maybe it is not the fastest and newest video card and I think about buy video card with 512mb but it's pretty good Very Happy
Helios
I have nVidia 8800GTS 320MB. Not the fastest, but still quite good.
MarzEz
you can't complain, my graphics card sucks and the only game it really runs smoothly is doom.
alright, maybe it also runs some games i got from cerial packets smoothly, but not much else without noticeable lag.
(if you don't want your graphics card, send it to me, please! Razz )
i actually get all my computer pieces from junk heaps, and have to hope someone throws out a new computer soon.
oh well...
i don't have enough money for e-bay, but if i did, i would be there instead of chatting in a forum.

BTW, If you have any computer problems, or know someone who does, i may be able to help. Cool
(yes, for free. Very Happy )
ForceRun
Helios wrote:
I have nVidia 8800GTS 320MB. Not the fastest, but still quite good.

I got the same one from eVGA (Lifetime warrenty), I can run all of my games full out at 1650 by 1080 just have turn down AA a notch or so on some of the new ones. But the card only cost me $260 and runs Directx 10 so I'm very happy.
emem
I have 7600GT. Not VERY good, but not that bad too, all current games work on it
kizarop
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 320/640MB , it's OK and I would recommend, could be easly overclock
mystzero
I'm using MSI manufactured Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS. Glad that i chose the right card as opposed to those ATI Radeon HD2000 series card as ATI's still falling behind on Linux drivers.
snowboardalliance
emem wrote:
I have 7600GT. Not VERY good, but not that bad too, all current games work on it

Me too. I don't play games too often so I just wanted something mid-range and I really like this one.
fadirocks
the gf6600, my bro barely play the latest games with some tweaking!!!
not sure what I'm gona get after graduation Razz
Arnie
GeForce4 Ti4200 in my main pc, soon getting a laptop with 8600GT mobile. Most of my other, old pcs have TNT2s so I guess it's all nVidia. Just by coincidence though, not a fanboy. And there is one old machine with a Diamond Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage2000) + 3dfx Voodoo2.
Handyman
I have used both nvidia and ATI and I can say that the nvidias perform better on every level as they stand right now.

ATI is starting to release the new DX10 models I cant wait to try them out.
lethaltriad
Im using a GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over Clock Edition HDCP Video Card right now, love it alot! My vote for nvidia!
Arnie
Quote:
GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over Clock Edition HDCP Video Card
Wow, that's a nice word for hangman. Wink
Bones
Using an Nvidia FX 5500 128M and yes I know it's a crap card, but I paid $100 for it about 3 years ago so I really can't complain. Newer games will make my card tremble with fear, but it runs the ones I want to play, like Counterstrike Source runs great on it.
bostko
MarzEz wrote:

I have the same graphic cards and I agree it sucks. Linux drivers don't support any composite extension so I can't run 3d desktops like beryl and compiz Evil or Very Mad
fadirocks
bostko wrote:
MarzEz wrote:

I have the same graphic cards and I agree it sucks. Linux drivers don't support any composite extension so I can't run 3d desktops like beryl and compiz Evil or Very Mad

you gota be joking expecting TNT2 to run a 3D desktop like beryl and compiz
bulek
I own Gigabyte's GeForce 6600 GT with 128mb ram which will be soon replaced by GeForce 8600 GT Smile
Josso
Nvidia these days, I didn't like ATIs customer service - they were pretty unhelpful, although I may point out that I loved my X800 XT to bits in 2004. It was a great card.

Nowdays I have a 7900 GTX, hopefully 8800 by winter or whatever is best then.
MarzEz
i am definately an NVidia lover, and i go for nvidia because they have been making better cards than their competition since the nvidia riva tnt2. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIVA_TNT2 : product comparisons. Wink (they should have a thumbs up emoticon.)
but is their any way i could overclock an nvidia riva tnt2 without buying anything new? like with loose wires? (but sometimes they go bang... d'oh! )
if not, can anyone tell me where to get a nice new graphics card for a very low price? (apart from e-bay, i don't have a credit card yet, and don't trust credit card transactions. [if i knew how to insert a picture, i would.])
i live near bowral, in new south wales.
i could just get a new computer...
better than 400mhz of p2 with 256mb of ram...
and a dvorak keyboard.
but no internet. (i'm using the library computers and i'm not sure if i'm even allowed on frihost...)
i may as well just get a new laptop...
you can e-mail me at marzezmail@gmail.com with suggestions etc.
oh well...
until then, see ya. Razz

p.s. if you could tell me how to overclock the processor and ram too, please do! Very Happy
MarzEz
i actually have at least 3 of these cards, does anyone know what they're worth, or what they could be worth? (5th card NVidia ever made... i think. check wikipedia. (previous post.) Very Happy [/quote]
brutal_sound
I use Nvidia GeForce 6600, and it is not bad for me, because i dont play high perfomance 3D games.
Urban
MarzEz wrote:
i actually have at least 3 of these cards, does anyone know what they're worth, or what they could be worth? (5th card NVidia ever made... i think. check wikipedia. (previous post.) Very Happy

32 MB.. What do you expect?! I don't even think you can sell them Razz

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS - 512 MB and it's pretty good! I'm a big gamer but I don't have cash and this is the computer of my familly so I won't spend any money to upgrade it
MarzEz
i got those cards off a junk heap when my sys admin was throwing out some dead computers. he kept the ram, network cards etc... but he left the graphics cards. now i know why.
anyway, i was thinking they may be valuable in a historic way... Very Happy oh well, i PHailed on that.
still, can i overclock it?
Arnie
In the Netherlands, TNT2s sell for at least €5.
Drvanger
I have an integrated Intel i845. Smile
william
Every decent compuer I own is based on nVidia (Geforce 7600 GT and Geforce 8600 GT) while my weaker computers are based on integrated Intel graphics. Neither of the nVidia cards are the fastest, but they are classified as performance cards and get most tasks done. One of the big reasons I choose nVidia is just better experience with them. In addiion to that, I, being a Linux user, have a preference for nVidia since support for it is better. ATI has gotten better and I had considered a Radeon 2600 instead of the Geforce 8600...but the nVidia was cheaper, slightly more powerful, and better Linux support. My next computer will hopefully be take one high end Geforce card or take two and put them into a scalable link interface (SLI). Only thing that may change my mind is if ATI brings out a REALLY powerful card with a good price to performance ratio. Anyhow, Geforce is my personal favorite and also what I use on a basis.
MarzEz
the thing is, i don't have much money for computers, so i get nearly all my computer bits off junk heaps. my parents don't approve of computers that much Mad but there isn't much they can do when i drag 20 kilos of metal off some random junk heap and start demolishing it. they tried stopping me... and failed. Very Happy
but then again, they have been saying they'll have to charge me for the power i use. and with two crt screens, 17 & 14 inch, 400 mhz of highly overworked processor, ditto the 256mb of ram, all 80+gb of hard drive and a predominantly white desktop background... $$$ -->. so i haven't collected anything new for a while. quite a while. apart from windows 2000 pro. [coming soon to the operating systems category .]
MarzEz
i almost forgot... can i please have some advice on how to overclock stuff... and urgently!?!
thanks.
Urban
Your parents are so cheap :p
MarzEz
they just try to do the best for me. plus, they are currently using all their money on renovating the house. and they are some renovations too. but i like collecting bits. one of the things i like about computers is the putting them together and trying to get all the different pieces to work as one. -computer zen- well, almost. but if i could overclock stuff, that would mean i had more than 400mhz of processor to run my zen-style motherboard. it must remember that it is one. i sometimes need to "remind" it. i did that to a 733mhz once. it wouldn't read any of my hard drives so i stuck a rather conductive piece of metal into it. preeety! well, it worked after that! until the bios became more and more unstable, and them just died. oh well...
see ya.