FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What desktop environment?






What Desktop Environment?
GNOME
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
KDE
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Xfce
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
CDE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
IceWM
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Enlightenment
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Blackbox
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Ratpoison
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

brucedes
Just a quick question about Desktop Environments.

Personally I either use GNOME or Xfce in Linux as I like their simple minimalist layouts. I think KDE looks kind of bloated.

Note: I'm not including Aqua or Aero or Luna since these are bound to a single OS. I'm talking about ones that work on multiple OSes which you can change.
[FuN]goku
KDE I use on Slack, i use Xfce on Deb.
Personally i prefer KDE.. but Xfce is good as well, its light weight, doesnt hog alot of ram, very good for virtual machining..
Ive used gnome on fedora and debian at one point... But i didnt like it.. due to the fact it reminds me of a mac lol..
brucedes
You say that as though it's a bad thing Wink
[FuN]goku
brucedes wrote:
You say that as though it's a bad thing Wink

What that it looks like a mac? lol.... im just that way towards apple. dont ask why.. its sort of cuz.. well too many people at school go around with ipods.... and use them.. and i prefer to be different from everyone else... mac's i dont like cuz of those stupid commercials about MS vs Mac, they think that cuz they make those commercials that theyre all that and 2 buckets of chicken... which annoys the hell outa me, even though some of them are true, i.e. vista's firewall... but imo they try to stick out and brag about their product and say theyre better than every other os.... And i dont like using windows alot except for gaming.. just because the majority of people use Windows Smile and as i said i like to be different.
LostOverThere
KDE.

I personally think they took GNOME's "Simplicity" to far. But, Linux is all about choice. So KDE For me. Smile
Arno v. Lumig
I chose blackbox, because Fluxbox is not an option in this poll. It isn't really an desktop environment though, only GNOME, KDE, Xfce and maybe Enlightenment are. (Enlightenment claims to be a Desktop Shell)

I wish there was some lighter X server that still supports acceleration (nvidia) and 24-bit colours... Sigh...
ammonkc
I've always used Gnome because thats what I'm used to. other than KDE I haven't tried any of the others. Gnome has been good to me, well at least I think it has. this could be because I haven't really spent any time with anything else.
mehulved
I like fluxbox as it's light and customisable yet not too difficult to setup initially.
At work, I do go with gnome cos I am unable to find a program on debian to lock my screen in Fluxbox Sad
Drvanger
I use KDE, because it is very feature rich, and very customizable. Smile I don't like GNOME, because it is too simple for me Very Happy
jackill
XFCE in my opinion is now the best choose for medium range specs. It contains good look (but slightly not as much "eyecandy" as KDE) and usefulness (but not as much as Gnome). It runs flawless on my old Cel633, 256MB RAM and flies on my new Athlon64 3000+, 1GB RAM under Zenwalk. But unfortunately it becomes more and more heavy, like Gnome... SO in the near future, the real light environment will be only hardcore Fluxbox.
Handyman
I like Gnome. It is well laid out and very customizable. KDE is my second favorite for the same reason.
LostOverThere
Handyman wrote:
I like Gnome. It is well laid out and very customizable. KDE is my second favorite for the same reason.


Agreed, the only thing I dislike about KDE is the stupid standard KDE menu. Though, I use the TastyMenu (It is installed by default in Linux Mint KDE)
[FuN]goku
mehulved wrote:
I like fluxbox as it's light and customisable yet not too difficult to setup initially.
At work, I do go with gnome cos I am unable to find a program on debian to lock my screen in Fluxbox Sad
Fluxbox any good? i've never tried it. As far as the screen lock goes, just code your own Smile or just google it , im sure you'll find something.
{name here}
[FuN]goku wrote:
mehulved wrote:
I like fluxbox as it's light and customisable yet not too difficult to setup initially.
At work, I do go with gnome cos I am unable to find a program on debian to lock my screen in Fluxbox Sad
Fluxbox any good? i've never tried it. As far as the screen lock goes, just code your own Smile or just google it , im sure you'll find something.

I loved fluxbox when I used it. I never had any major issues with it and it's a rather solid window manger. You don't get a full package like you do with GNOME but it doesn't waste processor cycles while maintaining a decent level of visual appeal (it doesn't overdo it like OS X with all the window zoom effects and stuff, but it's definately no twm). I wish it had a more of a rio-like feel though.
teko
As Ive only a low end laptop I like the window managers like fluxbox and xfce. Ive stuck with xfce lately as it has the right balance of features while not being too heavy. Although if more features come into it, it may lose this.
Studio Madcrow
KDE for me. There's a few problems with PostScript font handling in 3.x, but those apparently get fixed in 4 (and I mostly use OpenType anyway...)
Ankhanu
I've been using GNOME with Ubuntu, as it's default and I haven't bothered tweaking it. However, in general I tend to install KDE on other distros. I don't find it really makes a huge difference, since a lot of the finer details I end up working on in command anyway.
fiendskull9
ive usually always been an advocate of lightweight desktops

but now with 2gb ram and a core2duo, it no longer really matters

im currently using kde (if built right, it can manage dependencies about as well as xfce and such)

but i always encourage people to stay away from gnome, it is bloated, its toolkit is poorly written, and other parts of the DM is poorly written as well

i really wish ubuntu would drop its gnome branch, and merge in kubuntu as the default (therefore dropping kubuntu, merging the teams, and making ubuntu use KDE)

EDIT: oh, and i run JWM on my laptop

-clay
Arnie
QVWM - you people don't know what lightweight is (except the guy above me with JWM on his laptop).
fiendskull9
Razz
im actually REALLY liking jwm
im just wishing it was still heavily in development (if i knew enough c and c++ i'd pick up development on it)

its amazing how easy to use, and how featured it is (i was confused when i saw the taskbar with the menu on it) while still using an amazingly small footprint

i actually have a blog posting about it for anyone who is interested
Arnie
Yeah, I agree about JWM, it's found a good balance on the minimalist edge.
vicarious
I put GNOME as my choice in the poll, however, I use many of them. I like to use KDE as my main desktop for the family account. It is easy for the kids and wife to use and it has all of my programs listed in the menu bar. I usually use Gnome when on my account. It allows me to ignore all of the KDE goo, and get less of a performance hit memory wise. When I play games, there is not a lot of need or want to play with shared resources, especially with x requests and background instances, I use fluxbox, or twm.

that is what I love about Linux, the ability to choose. I'm actually thinking of creating a locked down (with kiosk) account for the kids (5,3,and 2).

Linux is not only ready for the desktop, the whole family can do it their own way. Luvin' it!
fadirocks
I started with CDE back 1998 then KDE when it first came out then played with Gnome also other environments now with my slow server it has CDE and umm well knoppix that i carry around on KDE!
smartpandian
Gnome...
Related topics
GNOME 2.10 is released!
Linux users - Which window manager do you prefer the most
how do you get linux
Windows or Linux
Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD
The lightest Linux
Linux installation
Why you should not be using Ubuntu!
Choosing a Distro
Debian workes not
5 Best Open Source Remote Desktop Software 4 linux
CLI: login to Desktop Environment
Creating your own Linux desktop environment!
Create a desktop environment for Linux
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.