FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Difference between love and obesssion

loyal
Peace be upon you all.

I bring this question for everyone to answer, because I cannot seem to find any difference.
What's the difference between love and obsession?

I tried doing a google search and even though the webpages pointed out examples of obsessive behaviour, these examples seem exactly the same as one might do if he/she were in love.
Like for example, one supposed example of obsessive behaviour was constantly thinking about someone. But, people in love (or at least people who have recently fallen in love) do that anyway.

So, is there a difference between love and obsession?

Thanks. may God bless you.

(note: this is not a question related to my personal life! lol)
bluefossil
sometimes you need to let go for love. obsession is the opposite and unhealthy.
molif
obession is when you go crazy over love. love is when you let the person be happy.
Manus et Therion
molif wrote:
obession is when you go crazy over love. love is when you let the person be happy.

That's a terrific way of putting it. I was thinking along the lines that obsession is the notion of "I want what I want regardless of what it takes to have it" and love (for another person) ought to be "I want the best for that person, no matter what I might lose to have that happen." You'd be surprised (perhaps) at how many people I deal with who think love means having their personal desires met.
molif
Quote:
love means having their personal desires met

nonsense! love is when you respect the other person's wishes.. for me, i can never bear to have her do something that she doesnt want to do..
Bluedoll
I think there is a difference. Think they are two different things going on. Love is perfect. Love conquers all. You can believe that even if google doesn't declare it. It's true.

Obsession is not about love but about itself. Just like anything else. Inibitions for example can be present and it doesn't mean that love isn't. It just means that love has to deal with it and will. Life is better in balance so when we go to extremes we get calling on all our labels for our behaviours. Like obsession, its not love doing it, its us reacting to something we are feeling and need. Who is perfect? Love is but we aren't so we deal with things like obsession.

Does this make sense?
xkobram
You love, you like.
Obsession is without "like."
FroHawK
ok love is when you will do anything for that special person. as in Obsession is where you will do anything to have that special thing or person.

love is where you would die for the one you love. Obsession is were the thing you love most will most likely end up hurting you
supjapscrapper
The different ways people here have already put it are all interesting.... none of them really shocked me:D But I see it this way: Obsession can be good, bad, dangerous r whatever, and this for the person of the thing that is the object of this obsession or the person that is responsible for this obsession.

An obsession can be bad for the person that is the object of it since it makes her life normal at best but in most cases like hell. In case of love, the loving person seeks for feelings in return for the feelings they give, whereas obsession makes blind (and not love) and the obsessed person only cares about the feelings it has towards the object of its obsession.... And in most cases doesn't even expect much in return since the goal of its obsession is the fulfillment of its desire. Moreover love is always used in a positive context (but for gambling as far as I know).

a person obsessed means also that this person can hardly find any limits to its obsession even if its destructive, a loving person keeps record of the reality and has a more realistic approach of the feelings it has in the sense that it tries to see if its love makes it happier and tries to quantify them to put the into perspective and compare them to other love feelings.
Manus et Therion
supjapscrapper wrote:
An obsession can be bad for the person that is the object of it since it makes her life normal at best but in most cases like hell.

I'm sorry. Maybe it's me. At best, the rest of your post confused me.

supjapscrapper wrote:
In case of love, the loving person seeks for feelings in return for the feelings they give, whereas obsession makes blind (and not love) and the obsessed person only cares about the feelings it has towards the object of its obsession.... And in most cases doesn't even expect much in return since the goal of its obsession is the fulfillment of its desire. Moreover love is always used in a positive context (but for gambling as far as I know).

a person obsessed means also that this person can hardly find any limits to its obsession even if its destructive, a loving person keeps record of the reality and has a more realistic approach of the feelings it has in the sense that it tries to see if its love makes it happier and tries to quantify them to put the into perspective and compare them to other love feelings.

And I think the reason I'm confused by your post is that I disagree. If you reversed Love and Obsession in the above quote, I think I agree. An obsessed person (as I deal with them daily in my line of work) expect reciprocation. "Why doesn't he love me back!?!" is very much what the obsessed does - think "Fatal Attraction" for what might happen if the "loved" object of obsession doesn't return those feelings. A person who loves honestly can also be willing to accept the pain that such love would give - think of your mother for instance, and how you might have failed her desires from time to time (assuming, of course, your mother has a healthy idea of love).

A friend of mine and I discussed this very topic this weekend and he put it in great words: In our society today we are confusing love with co-dependency. Today, we are inundated in entertainment with the notion that love means "I need you" instead of "I want you." It's like a bad thing to admit "I want you," so we avoid acknowledging that. Wouldn't it be more meaningful to hear "I want you compared to all the other people in the world I could want" instead of "I need you, I'll die without you"?
ainieas
In the simplest sense - say you're "into" someone, and you see that someone with someone else. In that case if you feel like releasing the object of your affection from the wretched cycle of existence and bury them in your back yard - thats obsession.

Now under same circumstances if you feel like killing yourself and leave a will to be buried in their back yard thats...stupidity?

Again if you just accept that you're jst not good enough for them and can't possibly have them unless the universe realigns itself and that there are about a few billion other people to choose from who are more in your league shows you're "normal" and "sane".

Now what is love? Just take out the obsession, the stupidity and definitely the sanity out of your desire to be with someone. Wink