FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cant open the regedit...

vaoger
i just being recover from a virus attack name flash.10.exe..( some sort like that)
i am using the kapersky 6....
why i cant open the regedit..
it said that it have beinf disble by the adminstrative...
Hallo... i am the admin.. n did not disble it...
How to enable it???
SgtGarcia
Regedit can be disabled by entering a certain key in your registry. Its not really easy to delete the key because you don't have acces to regedit. There are some alternate registry editors which you can use, but most of them still use regedit.
Here is a simple vbs script that should be able to fix the isue.
Use notepad to create a new file, copy this code into it, and then save it as EnableRegistryEdit.vbs
To use the fix, just run the script.
Code:
Enable Registry Editing'
On Error Resume Next
'Prevents errors from values that don't exist
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'Delete DisableRegistryTools registry values
'save this file as EnableRegistryEdit.vbs

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\System\DisableRegistryTools"

'display message
Message = "You should have access to Regedit now"

X = MsgBox(Message, vbOKOnly, "Done")
Set WshShell = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing

I hope it works, there are some other possibilities if it doesnt work, so please let me know
vaoger
SgtGarcia wrote:
Regedit can be disabled by entering a certain key in your registry. Its not really easy to delete the key because you don't have acces to regedit. There are some alternate registry editors which you can use, but most of them still use regedit.
Here is a simple vbs script that should be able to fix the isue.
Use notepad to create a new file, copy this code into it, and then save it as EnableRegistryEdit.vbs
To use the fix, just run the script.
Code:
Enable Registry Editing'
On Error Resume Next
'Prevents errors from values that don't exist
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'Delete DisableRegistryTools registry values
'save this file as EnableRegistryEdit.vbs

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\System\DisableRegistryTools"

'display message
Message = "You should have access to Regedit now"

X = MsgBox(Message, vbOKOnly, "Done")
Set WshShell = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing

I hope it works, there are some other possibilities if it doesnt work, so please let me know

Thanks pal!!
Kelvin
haha.. that's exactly the same virus i encountered when trying to install norton IS 2007 on one of the notebooks in my company today. I didn't suspect the presence of a virus until the installer abruptly ended with the message "registry setting has been disabled by the administrator". Good thing for the existence of online scanning tools as i was able to run a scan using pandasoft's free online scanner. This software manage to detect the virus you stated. By the way the virus is W32/trunix.a.worm. This virus also infected the pendrive i used when trying to install norton. This virus travels mostly through portable media and spreads by posing as a flash player update.

Even after clearing the virus the registry was still inaccessible. I however managed to solve it by finding a INF installer from symantec used for a virus with similar properties. The remnants (missing files error after reboot) was solved by clearing it out of the registry.
billgertz
neat fix!

to vaoger

maybe you're using a power user account that's why your system got infected with that virus.
I suggest that you create a limited account on your PC and use that account when you get online. or use a P2P and don't forget to use a firewall..i use is the Zone Alarm. i know this is simple but this is one step ahead against hackers and viruses.

btw, don't leave your administrator account with an empty password because some people do.
orcaz
yea, u shud downgrade to a limited user account, and access your admin account only when u nid to install or update stuff... it helps to reduce the damage and deny certain viruses from infecting ur computer.