FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

money scam for millions of dollars

Have You Ever Gotten A Letter/Email/anything like this?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

LeatherRose
every day i check my yahoo email and laugh because i get on average 2 emails a day from some one from a different country like france, africa, zimbabwe, and a few others i can't think of at the moment.
It is usually some man or woman claiming that they are a banker or something of the sort and offter to give me millions of dollars because some realitive i never new i had died in some horrible death.
But the thing is they will only give me the elegdid(sorry forgot how to spell it) money if i gave them all of my information including my bank account information.
Just because my fake great uncle or whom ever they claimed have died was a millionare and I (and this is the scary part..they know my last name usually and it isn't even on my account) have inherited my poor late whomevers money.

sometimes i get one saying signed up in a contest. I got one of these today and the man who sent it to me was saying how he talked to me before when i signed up

And then i laugh and hit spam button.

Another one i got was from this girl who said she just ran away from something almost like a slave camp thing and was trying to get to america so she was asking for $$$3 million.

my god the things people will try to do..
the worst part is that when somebody actually falls for this..nothing can be done because they are in a different country..
xorcist
I am always getting email like this I heard of some people that fell for it. I get emails that say something about I won the lottery in Canada or United Kingdom and send me Name Email Address Number and more Contact Information so they can contact me and tell me how to receive my check. Sometimes I just go and reply to the email giving them false information or just reply with a blank email.
Aless
Sometimes I wonder why they even bother! Do they think anyone's actually stupid enough to fall for that? That we all haven't gotten 15 other similar e-mails recently? It's not exactly an original concept anymore!!
exarkun
Aless wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why they even bother! Do they think anyone's actually stupid enough to fall for that? That we all haven't gotten 15 other similar e-mails recently? It's not exactly an original concept anymore!!

Well that is mainly because once people received similar email in their inbox, and if they think it is flexible, they will of course follow suit. Who doesn't want a cut of the pie? They got nothing to lose anything. Wink

Or maybe it is all under one big scamming organisation.. but usually o one is stupid enough to get cheated.
tidruG
Actually, some people are stupid enough to reply. There are some people who are not very experienced with the internet or email, and I personally know of a classmate who replied to that mail, and ended up giving her full name and phone number as well, before they asked for her bank account number, and then she had to call me up and ask me what to do. Razz
8ballcrazy
LeatherRose wrote:
every day i check my yahoo email and laugh because i get on average 2 emails a day from some one from a different country like france, africa, zimbabwe, and a few others i can't think of at the moment.
It is usually some man or woman claiming that they are a banker or something of the sort and offter to give me millions of dollars because some realitive i never new i had died in some horrible death.
But the thing is they will only give me the elegdid(sorry forgot how to spell it) money if i gave them all of my information including my bank account information.
Just because my fake great uncle or whom ever they claimed have died was a millionare and I (and this is the scary part..they know my last name usually and it isn't even on my account) have inherited my poor late whomevers money.

sometimes i get one saying signed up in a contest. I got one of these today and the man who sent it to me was saying how he talked to me before when i signed up

And then i laugh and hit spam button.

Another one i got was from this girl who said she just ran away from something almost like a slave camp thing and was trying to get to america so she was asking for $$$3 million.

my god the things people will try to do..
the worst part is that when somebody actually falls for this..nothing can be done because they are in a different country..

DANG!thats messed up for who ever falls for this
thanks for a heads up =)
achowles
I've received all the most common ones including several various fake lottery ones.

I've also had a portrait commission (working from a photo over the net) that, although started out normally enough, suddenly turned into something almost directly resembling the African prince scam. I don't know if that was a freak coincidence, but I withdrew at that point and didn't provide them with the details despite having wasted a lot of time by that point. You really can't trust anyone these days. Then again, I guess you never could.
standready
Sadly, alot of people do fall for these "get rich quick" schemes. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, RUN!
sonam
Everyone get this scams, and most of them never reply. But some of them are not enought informed and ...
http://www.lottery.co.uk/info/scams.asp (useful examples)

From UK national lottery site:
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/information.do?info=commonscams

Sonam
ConquerSockets
Hey!

I just read the posts and yeah... me too I am getting these annoying spam mails. There are actually lot lot and lot peoples falling on these traps. Hackers are sending them to about all e-mail services providers (Yahoo Hotmail etc) And out of these millions of accounts, there are obviously lot peoples falling for this...

I bet the hackers already made millions and millions doing this scam and it's really sad...

Alexander.
SpellcasterDX
Yep I got one once in my yahoo email account from same fake UK lottery company. I showed it to my dad and he showed it to his lawyer and we found out it was fake. But it did seem suspicious even before I showed it to him. Too vague and too good to be true.
paul_indo
The dead relative scam seems really popular. I have had three emails for that scam in the last 6 months or so. Usually asking for a few thousand dollars to pay the court clearance or some other fee so that the "Lawyer" can transfer $3 million to my bank account. Doh
eday2010
I usually reply back telling them to die or to f*ck off. Most of the time it's bounced back because the email they "sent" it from isn't real.
unknownc1c
lol nope never got one of those Razz i'm the only no haha. Then again i'm only 19 so i probably don't appear as a good target for those type of things.

It sounds halarious though. Just watch, you actually were about to get millions :p
HollyK
Email is a relatively cheap medium. If only say 1 out of 500 respond, well that's maybe at most a day's work. Then they can just run with the money, and start all over again. Im 16, but I have multiple accounts so that may play a role. I also glance in the spam folder to check for false positives.
raine dragon
I saw a special program on that the other day, actually. they went half way across the world to meet with some of these people and catch them ^^;

I get them all the time, but I just delete them.

Now, if they have your name on them, you gave it out at some point. You might have given it when signing up somewhere for a contest, perhaps, and they sold it. Sad
Nameless
Spam? Do I get spam? Why yes, like everybody else with an e-mail address ever, I do indeed get spam. -_-

I don't hate the people who send the spam. It's good business sense. If I were the guy who invented the nigerian prince scam I'd be laughing. I hate the people who are so moronic as to actually fall for them. If you fall for these kinds of scams, you deserve to lose that money. But because of the few people who DO fall for them, now everybody is bombarded with these things daily. Thanks a lot guys, really. >_>

Of course, if you're bored you can always play the ever hilarious game of spam-baiting.
hunnyhiteshseth
Aless wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why they even bother! Do they think anyone's actually stupid enough to fall for that?

Well if one falls for it he cant be said stupid/moron/idiot as some of you are seeing. Well, ignorant, yes.

Looking from a wider perspective you can see why. Generally most of us had exposure to computers at very young age(I had my first encounter at 8-9yr of age) so we some-how know by instinct what is spam & wrong and what is not.

But for an average person on street, especially, in some developing countries computer is a kind of genie of Arabian nights. They think computers when coupled with internet can do almost anything. So, when they receive such kind of mails they easily fall prey to them.
Its similar to situation when children get scared from virtual dinosaurs while we laugh at there innocence. The only difference been that here, those children are, well, a little more grown up!
erlendhg
Beacause of my sudoku program which is spread quite well over different software sites on the Internet, I get hundreds of spam every day. But Google's spam filter picks up on all of it.

I don't even notice the spam, since Google host our sudoku.frihost.net and sudokuarchitect.com mail, so the spam is picked up a sorted out, even before it is forwarded to my gmail address Razz

It has also hit me about the spam - someone out there must be buying the crap which often is advertised in spam, why else would spammers bother to advertise for penis enlargement patches and stuff like that?
mtorregiani
I got one of those emails... it was from a South African girl, her father was poisoned and she inherited millions...
[FuN]goku
Spam them back lol... no j/k, i get alot of that kinda crap too, and i get rid of them.
_AVG_
Not only that but I get so many e-mails everyday about this sort of stuff.

I get links to free iPods, games, etc. What nonsense!
skygaia
I get 2~3 emails like that every day. Of course, I don't like to get spam mails. so someimes I'm afraid to write my email address. it could become another spam mail.
hofodomo01
Lol pretend you're interested and send back your own scam.

Srsly though, I supposed it makes sense that out of like, a million people the email gets sent to, ONE is at least lulled into the scam...
[FuN]goku
hofodomo01 wrote:
Lol pretend you're interested and send back your own scam.

Srsly though, I supposed it makes sense that out of like, a million people the email gets sent to, ONE is at least lulled into the scam...
So true. I've never answered back to spam email at all. Unless you count that guy that wouldnt stop emailing me every week cuz i left his forum, so i spammed him back.....MAJORLY..... never heard from him again Smile
jylan
I've been recently getting some interesting spam that includes a whole lot of text that doesn't make sense below the spam content. They had even included parts of my email address in it. I think that it is all automated and the spammers just have to sit back and wait for some foolish person to fall for the trap.

Jason Kottke has a blog post about this type of automation at a blog post that he has written.
[FuN]goku
@ jylan - you mean like... those type of things some forums get, like drug/sex advertisers? I hate those...
raine dragon
erlendhg wrote:

It has also hit me about the spam - someone out there must be buying the crap which often is advertised in spam, why else would spammers bother to advertise for penis enlargement patches and stuff like that?

Someone must... but still, my gender is listed anywhere my e-mail is; you have to wonder why none of them have picked up that I'm female yet. I mean, I'm sure they sell some female-type product too...I only get e-mail targeted at males though o__o;
rlzd
Sounds pretty terrible if the story with that girl was true!
Although, It is pretty low to spam-mail people about money, I mean... How low can you really sink?
I, myself, have never gotten any mail like that and I hope I don't get any in the future
hunnyhiteshseth
raine dragon wrote:
erlendhg wrote:

Someone must... but still, my gender is listed anywhere my e-mail is; you have to wonder why none of them have picked up that I'm female yet. I mean, I'm sure they sell some female-type product too...I only get e-mail targeted at males though o__o;

They dont send targeted advertisement(which incidently google does!) but instead send just plain, simnple, ruthless SPAM! and only SPAM! They are not interested in knowing who is reading it or even whether someone is reading it or not. They just want word out.

P.S.- A little experiment for you: Check your spam folder, may be you might have received a breast-enhancment cream or something, just reply to it & see your spam profile changing!
ZeroXD
It's becoming such a large problem that some people are doing something called "scambaiting" which they pretend to fall for the scam and continue to waste the scammers time, money, and effort.

One of the sites I skimmed through was 419eater.com but it seems I can't connect to that site anymore. In one of his scambaits, he was able to get the scammer to carve a wooden bust of the scambaiter and the scammer even mailed it to him! It was quite humorous.