FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Writing

Kestrad
I like to write, because my attempts at drawing turn out horribly. And I just like the process of creating worlds for other people to experience. It's also pretty fun to find out creative ways to describe perfectly mundane things.
CrimsonStrange
Yeah, I enjoy creative writing as well, although I don't have as much time or concentration to devote to it as I'd like.

I'm one of those scatterbrained people who will think up some little piece of prose or what I think is a good idea for a story or maybe I'll come up with a scene to put into an older story... and I must immediately go write it down or it's lost forever.
SlowWalkere
I've dabbled in writing for a while as well.

When I was younger (high school) I wanted to be a freelance journalist, and I still write and publish stuff online to satisfy that urge. I doubt I'll ever get to a truly professional level, though. If you like that type of writing (opinion articles, nonfiction articles), check out Helium.com. It's a cool site where you can publish articles immediately, and you'll get paid for your writing (albeit very little). Or you could start a blog and self-publish everything. You might not get as many people viewing your work, but you can write and publish whatever you want.

I never got into fiction writing. I tended to lose interest before I finished anything. However, if you're more into fiction than non-fiction, check out Palibra.com. It's another site that lets you self-publish online, but it's more geared toward fiction than non-fiction. You write a short story, submit it, and users can purchase the work for $1 (of which you get a small commission). Again, not a lot of money, but there's something satisfying about writing something and getting compensated for it.

Good luck, and keep writing,
- Walkere
WhistleTurning
Yea writing idsfine, but I have one big problem. I am often told my scibble is almost illegible, so folk have difficulty reading the long rambling diatribes I concoct by hand. I have often been asked if I am a doctor (by tradition yiu can vever read their writing) , but alas no I do not accend to that very lucrative profession.
virre
I write poetry to show the feelings I have inside of me, and the pictures and images that I can't get out in anyother way. (Camera needs models or things often).

I write storys for I like to make you intrested and so on.

And also I like beeing told I'm good, and that happens a bit with the poetry.
paul_indo
Yea, I think I would like to write a book and become rich and famous, but use a pseudonym so no one really knows who wrote it.

Still be rich though, ha ha. Unless the check goes to the pseudonym ??? better be careful about that.
c'tair
Id love to get back into writing but I just feel uneasy about it. Some years ago I wrote alot of game and program reviews, some as long as 10kb (thats quite some text, especially for the 'short review' section of the e-mag). It gave me alot of satisfaction, but after sometime I lost it and stopped. Then, when I wanted to start again I was always afraid of failure, of writing something so bad that wouldnt get accepted, even by me. Sometimes Id just have had the urge to write something, but Ive read so much critique, I almost always find bad things about my idea, the greatest and worst that I dont really have an idea what to write about. Sometimes Ill have a story, but itll soon turn out that its just a large mixture of things I previously read. And I havent mastered yet a language, Im pretty good in both english and polish, but Im not good enough to write a good book. Or so atleast I think.
tijn01
I like to write too, but it takes a lot of energy to really finish something. More than I ever thought it would. I have written one novel, but haven't succeeded in getting it published yet. Mostly I like to write just to get all my 'stuff' out of my head and into something a little more creative and maybe useful. I hope to write a second novel, but there is so little time.
KnowingGuy
I'm a poet and often reflect my writings on my current position which often lead to a song.
Coffyfacemk2
I'm currently doing an Ma in English and Creative Writing in Aberystwyth and really enjoying it, I suffer from an overload of ideas and doing this pretty much full time lets me actually finish some of them, but despite getting pretty good marks (bout a 2.1 average) i'm still really nervous about sending any of them out to be published. Thanks for the paliba link though, I might put something up on there and see what happens.
Kestrad
I like creative writing, but I don't always get much encouragement for it. People look at me and say, "Don't waste your time writing. Be a scientist or something productive." It's sad, really, because I enjoy writing, and I believe I could be good at it. But I'm told constantly that I am simply wasting my time.
medievalman26
I feel that writing is a very good form of therapy, it is better then going to a psychologist in a way. You can put your feelings down and whatever you want, no one but you has to know.
fpwebs
I really like writing. I finished a few short stories and I was writing a book that got deleted from the computer. It was over a hundred and twenty-one pages long. It kind of disapointed me. I found this website that you can publish your stuff on the internet called student.com. That's where I put my stuff. I inspire to finish a book, but lately I found it hard to concentrate. One day though, I will. I'm also going to try to take up painting if writing doesn't work.

Cool
heartbeat
I think that writing is good for translating sensations and feelings to other people. many times it doens't translate well but the marvelous thing is that sometimes it does!!
zjosie729
I used to hate writing because I couldn't write. But then after I started a journal and wrote often, I began to like writing and I'm always looking for ways to write.
chrisallard5454
I love to write short stories, and one day if I ever have the time to.. I will write a novel. It is a great pleasure being able to express yourself both emotionally, and physically through writing. Much the same with reading. Which is why I like shakespeare so much. But personnally I think that writing should have no boundries, I hate how in school they make writing throughout English nothing but formal essays. There is no creativity involved at all. I swear our society wants to turn us into a bunch of mindless drones.
Text-Bears
Yeah, I'm pretty interested in stories too.I have so many ideas in my head for novel inspirations, but I can never find the motivation to do so. Crying or Very sad My mum is always telling me to be motivated but I can never find the urge to do so. I will make up stories and tell them to my sister in the car instead. She loves me stories. Can anyone motivate me?
leontius
I enjoy writing blog posts and forum topics, but I have never write a large project like a novel. The main obstacle is time, because writing well is very time consuming. I already have a plan to write a novel with some of my friends (is it weird to write collaboratively? But I have seen few novels with two authors, it must be hard to work together...)
coyote
I enjoy writing or critiquing movie scripts. It is kind of hard to write collaboratively, but it really depends on what you're doing. I just take my ideas and their ideas, and just find a happy medium between the two. Just make sure the others like your editing.

I don't think someone can force inspiration on you. One day you will find something that catches your interest and it will motivate you to do something, whether that something be to learn, to write, or (as my history teacher always says) to do underwater basket-weaving. The only difference between great lives and harsh lives is whether or not you capitalize on this motivation.

c'tair. You should write if you enjoy writing, if for no other reason to add a little more enjoyment to your day. Even if noone agrees with you, who cares? You had fun, and not EVERY person in the world will ever agree to one thing.

and lastly, virre. Not all movies need a lot of work behind the scenes. I make movies from Halo 3 all the time. You just write, record, and find good voices. Very Happy
James007
Some useful links:
The Frihost Writing Contest
Personal Art Gallery

Smile
aames_prov356
I write music, books poems you name it. I just haven't tried getting anything published yet. Maybe someday...
whitehole
Drawing is like any other talent. You start off bad and practice and learn till you get better. If you don't draw well now get some books on it and a pencil and go at it. I improved quite a bit after reading and practicing. Good luck if you decide to draw, it's fun.
bonestorm74
Writing is a great thing to do. Even if you don't get published and earn millions, at the very least you will improve your writing skills, vocabulary and so on.

I have some short stories published in both print and on the web. Initially I wrote novels as this is what I was mainly interested in, however it's much, much harder to have a novel published. It was recommended to me to start off with short stories, get some of these published, get somewhat of a name for yourself, and then you can hunt down an agent. That should give you a greater chance of having a novel taken seriously.

Of course, some people write a novel and it gets published straight up. Doesn't happen often though. Wink
mina
i love writing as well. i keep a blog up and running, and though i don't have a large group of people reading it, it's quite therapeutic just to get the words out. really don't write about too much in particular... i prefer to just put my thoughts and feelings somewhere to help me sort out my cluttered mind. i mainly focus on the day's contemplating, since i tend to do a lot of that at work. Smile

one of these days i'll try writing some sort of story. i really want to, but it seems i'm not that great at describing things yet. i'll get there eventually. i do a lot of reading to help expand my vocabulary. nothing worse than not having the words to explain what your thinking.

i should say, though, that my main passion is drawing... though i'm much worse at that. and i have a slight obsession with pens, pencils, and various types of stationary. Embarassed
Coclus
I would like to do it, but I can't find time for this hobby.. I would have some things to say though!
cloudship
I prefer write too, not because my drawing sucks, but because I think it is more freedom to let me and other to image the picture and the scene with words than real images which really limited the imagination. Imagination is the most exited part of any art and artistical work.
deanhills
I like to write, but when I am not aware of it, such as posting at this Forum. It comes naturally. If I have to sit down and write an article, and am self-critical, then I seem to develop writer's bloc. Nothing flows easily. I admire good writing, such as by a mountain climber Joe Simpson - his book "Touching the Void". I can imagine he has the same thing about writing about that which he loves rather than writing as a form of art. Maybe the one becomes the other through passion and loving something.

What is nice about Joe Simpson is that in some of his books about Mountain Climbing, he would describe his writing in detail. One can relate to it so much better. An amazing person. I sometimes wonder about people pushing themselves beyond limits, such as high-risk mountain-climbing. Think he described it as the only place where one can really feel truly alive, because you are taking enormous risks.

Back to the topic on hand. His writing is the kind I really like. Simple, expressive, honest, with a good sense of humour. Good stuff. Think I would have to find something really passionate to write about, before I can even begin to aspire to be a writer. But in the meanwhile enjoy the works of art of people who have accomplished that.

Think we have a few people on the forum that seem to be good writers. I admire their writings too.
georgeodowd
I've struggled with writing throughout my entire life - mostly because I'm too much of a self-critic to get much on paper. But I recently had a major breakthrough and suddenly things are just pouring out. I think the largest factor in this recent success is writing in a different genre and style than I've always aimed for. I got bogged down early on in novel-length serious pieces (which usually never got past the first page), but now that I'm writing short comedy pieces, I think I've found my niche!
I'm really having the time of my life doing this. I've wanted to write so terribly for so long... and now I am!
TVme
Is there some kind of software that one can get and you install it and click on it and there is a box that says "Type your book's title" and then another box pops up and says "Type the first paragraph that gives the reader a teaser to what's coming" and you do and then another box that says "Type the beginning" and then the "middle" and then "the end" and then you fill stories in the middle. It would keep track of chapters in the table of contents and number the pages etc. Is there something like that? Or did I just invent it? :)
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I like to write, but when I am not aware of it, such as posting at this Forum. It comes naturally. If I have to sit down and write an article, and am self-critical, then I seem to develop writer's bloc. Nothing flows easily.

The trick when that happens is to write anything. Absolutely anything. Just put something on the page, and even if you have to replace it all later, you've broken the block and are back on track.
If you are having a block at the very beginning, another good trick is to start writing the middle of the work, and add the beginning onto it later.

TVme wrote:
Is there some kind of software that one can get and you install it and click on it and there is a box that says "Type your book's title" and then another box pops up and says "Type the first paragraph that gives the reader a teaser to what's coming" and you do and then another box that says "Type the beginning" and then the "middle" and then "the end" and then you fill stories in the middle. It would keep track of chapters in the table of contents and number the pages etc. Is there something like that? Or did I just invent it? Smile

I don't think there is any such software, simply because it is so easy to do without the help of specialized software. Any word processor will do fine. It won't give you little boxes to fill in, but doing so would restrict your creativity in some cases, and anybody can make a title and separate paragraphs without being prompted to. (For the rare people who can't, take a writing class.)

I write as a hobby myself. I do some short stories, novels, and the occasional poem. (Though I only write poetry when I have very good inspiration to work with.) I need to put more time into writing though, I've only done 1 1/2 short stories, and only one of my 6 novel concepts has gone even as far as a rough outline (and that one has a craptastic plot, so I'll probably throw it away and recycle the characters into a new story).
dbershevits
I've been writing for a while now and i just love it. I actually wanted to draw before i tried writing, but since i can't draw i was callled to the all mighty pen. I think that i make up for this by writing. But, your all right writing passes tie and is fun.
georgeodowd
Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo? It's probably the only way I will ever trick myself into actually writing something novel-length. So far I'm on track to finish, but it's been hard to get past all my hang-ups.
OpposableThumbs
when to quit trying to write professionally?
deanhills
OpposableThumbs wrote:
when to quit trying to write professionally?

I would say "never to quit". What is meant with "professionally"? I have heard beautiful stories of people who have become famous writiers, who have taken rejection over and over and over again. It probably also applies to all other professions. If you are passionate about something, never to give up.
mgeek
I started out writing poetry. That was years ago. I have even lost the original notebook (you know the one made from paper) where I stored my poems. I remember when I wrote those poems: it was the summer before my fourth year in high school. A friend whom I know to be a pot-smoker turned out to be inclined to literature. He showed me his library of the novels he read and his attempts at poetry. Since I looked up to the guy, I began writing my own poetry. But my time was soon taken up my basketball and singing. So the poetry had to go.

Right now, I am writing a lot of technical papers. My website is my relaxation. It is hobby that I find worthwhile though...
saibulu
Kestrad wrote:
I like creative writing, but I don't always get much encouragement for it. People look at me and say, "Don't waste your time writing. Be a scientist or something productive." It's sad, really, because I enjoy writing, and I believe I could be good at it. But I'm told constantly that I am simply wasting my time.

I heard that a lot. Fact is, I decided way back in 3rd grade that I wanted to write children's books for a living. I was told not to waste my time, that I should do something that made money, etc., too. I ended up majoring in journalism and it was one of the best things I ever did. I worked at a newspaper for a short time, but really there were two other main benefits. First, I learned a lot of skills that honed my writing for all types of writing. I also discovered that a journalism degree opens doors to all kinds of jobs. Everyone wants to hire a person who knows how to write. You might consider it.