FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

overclocking

carlospro7
I have just recently built my first computer, and it's also my first experience with overclocking. I was wondering when it comes to overclocking, what a blue screen is associated with? the memory? could it be anything else? I know blue screens can also be caused by bad drivers, but I highly doubt this is the case. I think raising the voltage did the trick. Any suggestions?
RiCtee
BSODs can be caused by many things, often they are very obscure. God knows why Microsoft made them when they don't make Windows any more user-friendly. Take a look at Linux they always give a specific error that we can diagnose. I recently got heaps of BSODs while playing with Kernel-Mode Drivers. Very Happy In your case of overclocking, the CPU might be overheated or the memory might just turn bad (time to go to shopping!!)
Helios
What processor are you overclocking?
Yeah, in your case it should be because of the memory.
carlospro7
I am overclocking an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz. I only have it overclocked to 2.6ghz with stock voltage. On newegg I've read reviews of people getting it up to 3.2 ghz.
My memory sticks are G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800, and I have it overclocked to 1045mhz (5-5-5-15 CR2). I raised the voltage from 2.20 to 2.25v (stock voltage being 1.8v) and it seems to have fixed the problem, stays quite cool actually and only gets warm on full load, but I'm still doing some stability tests.

I have another question. Regardless of the frequency, in general, does increasing the voltage also increase the component's speed, performance, as long as it is maintained at a reasonable temperature?

Also, I only got the BSoD when I was playing a game, America's Army, after about 10-15 minutes of playing. And then in another game, Company of Heroes, instead of the blue screen I just got an error message after about the same amount of time, which had never happened when I had my computer on default settings.
SgtGarcia
Overclocking can make your computer unstable, BSoDs are a sign of unstability, so you overclocked it just a bit too much. Make sure you use proper cooling on your computer when you start overclocking. The standard cpu cooler isn't strong enough when you want to make a big overclock.
Good luck
otiscom
Be carefull, overclocking to much can actualy break your PC!