FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux live CD with read write ntfs

teko
I'm looking for a linux live CD to use for recovery purposes incase my windows laptop that I use for work purpose crashes and I need to recover files. I have an external drive that has been formatted as ntfs and most of the live cd's I've tried only support read/write access for FAT file systems.
kansloos
Knoppix has read/write support for a NTFS drive but you have to enable the write support.

To make the drive writable you must right click on the drive icon on the desktop and select an option like: 'make writetable'. Not sure how it's really called but you will recognise it for sure.

You can find it @ http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
mehulved
Knoppix is the best for the purpose. I always keep a copy of knoppix cd/dvd around, it comes in very handy and has loads of nice softwares for recovery.
teko
thats great to know. I checked the knoppix site but it only stated read only access, I didnt realise you could configure it to use read/write for ntfs.

I will definitely download and burn a copy of this disto, probably very good to have for recovery purposes.
[FuN]goku
teko wrote:
thats great to know. I checked the knoppix site but it only stated read only access, I didnt realise you could configure it to use read/write for ntfs.

I will definitely download and burn a copy of this disto, probably very good to have for recovery purposes.
Yes it is, i have a bunch of various distro cd's kicking around, and this is one of em.

Its always handy to have live cd's imo... thats how i started using linux actually.. started with live distro's then went up to partitioning... then finally i allocated my whole hd.
greatfire
I use puppy on all but my main PC. It's pretty fast and runs well on cd/dvd or on hard drive. Some linux programs don't work properly but there's enough first-party software to get by.
www.puppylinux.org
teko
greatfire wrote:
I use puppy on all but my main PC. It's pretty fast and runs well on cd/dvd or on hard drive. Some linux programs don't work properly but there's enough first-party software to get by.
www.puppylinux.org

wow just read about puppy linux its sounds great, might install it on my my old PIII laptop that I currently have xubuntu running on
djclue917
kansloos wrote:
Knoppix has read/write support for a NTFS drive but you have to enable the write support.

To make the drive writable you must right click on the drive icon on the desktop and select an option like: 'make writetable'. Not sure how it's really called but you will recognise it for sure.

You can find it @ http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Does Knoppix use ntfs-3g now?
djclue917
mehulved wrote:
Knoppix is the best for the purpose. I always keep a copy of knoppix cd/dvd around, it comes in very handy and has loads of nice softwares for recovery.

I think the GParted-Clonezilla Live CD is best fit for this purpose. Knoppix is more of a desktop-oriented Live CD and not really for recovery stuff.
teko
wow gparted clonezilla is even closer to what I was looking, it even has ntfs-3g on there as well. I think I'll burn off a copy of each of the live cd's mentioned here and give them all a try!

But I was looking through the knoppix site and they have alot of info on how to use it for recovery purposes. So that leads me to my next question what makes gparted clonezilla a better recovery live cd than knoppix??
kansloos
Quote:
wow just read about puppy linux its sounds great, might install it on my my old PIII laptop that I currently have xubuntu running on

Xubuntu is probably way to heavy for old comps. I use a ubuntu-server package for my old PC which installs a minimal operating system (without a gui) plus a few optional server packages. Then I install trough apt-get a gui along with some other packages that run lighty. Icewm as windowmanager, XFE as filemanager and Opera as browser. Opera looks as good as firefox but it way faster and less of an memory hog. And last but not least Synaptic for gui based package managing

I don't know how well puppy linux's packaging system is, but I think you get more stuff through the ubuntu repository then trough puppies repo...

Now to answer your question:
From what I read gparted is just a lifecd capable of reading off a lot off filesystems as far as I know knoppix just includes a lot more apps, either usefull or bullshit. If your PC is fast enough, knoppix will do just as fine as gparted. However a old pc will run gparted faster because of it's lower use of resources.
teko
thanks for the answer, well what my original questions was for a live cd that had read write support for ntfs partitions so I dont really need any extra stuff. So GParted-Clonezilla Live CD seems to suit exactly my needs.

thanks everyone again for your replies