FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3 of my fish just died :(

Fariza
we bought 6 fishes last month and all of a sudden 3 of em died in a matter of 2 days!

it was like they couldnt move or something and we tried to give it food but it didnt eat and we also cleaned the tank again! but still it died next morning... Sad
Drawingguy
When you bought the fish, had you cycled your tank before? If you don't know what I mean, then that can be a problem, and most prorably why your fish died.

If you did cycle the tank, then what kinds of fish were they? Perhaps aggression did them in.

If the fish were peaceful fish, that got along (post what type of fish they were, and I'll try to help on that note), then aggression wasn't it. Maybe they had a disease. Did they have any lesions, reddening, white spots, ragged fins, or 'dusty appearances' ?

It would really help to know what kind of fish they were, and how big your tank is.
hiquality
My brother had 4 fishes... 1 of them died the first day .. the other 3 died in 2 or 3 months...but i don't know why Sad(... i fed them .. changed the water from the tank...and my cat couldn't get to the upper part of the tank Sad(
friuser
it has to do with the nitrogen cycle. It happens in even established tanks.

The best way to keep fish is to run a tank for around a month before putting fish in. That's when the good bacteria and stuff gets a foothold in the tank. I remember reading you should actually buy one dollar worth of fish to help establish the tank quicker but even if they die it helps the tank.

I've had an establish fishtank with 2 goldfishes for close to 2 years now. They are so big now.
Drawingguy
No-you shouldn't use 'a dollar's worth of fish.' Come on...you're keeping fish, so it's not cool to kill some fish intentionally.

Basically, fish produce ammonia, the same way we produce our waste. Ammonia is a toxic liquid in this state, so it sits around in the tank, and can kill the fish (if it builds up, it usually does). Luckily for us, there are some benevolent bacteria that develop in aquariums, which convert ammonia into nitrites. However, nitrites are still toxic (and commonly cause fish suffocation, since they screw up the fish's hemoglobin), but again, nature's great and awesome, and a different bacteria colonizes your tank, and turns nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are somewhat toxic (in high levels-40 ppm), but if you have plants, they can use it as a fertilizer- making the tank cycled. You can tell that a tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrites are down, and nitrates are up (although, they don't have to be if you're understocked with lots of plants).

Fish--> Ammonia --> Nitrite--> Nitrate-->Plants.

The best way to cycle a tank is to put some unscented ammonia into a tank. This lets you put in lots of fish from the get-go (when the tank has been cycled, of course), and cycles a lot quicker. Plus, you get the good karma from not killing, or at least stressing out, some fish. Using the 'dollar method isn't that great. First, healthy fish aren't that cheap. Second, if you do get the feeder fish, which are in truth cheap, they'll be unhealthy, deformed, and overall, poor fish. I still wouldn't want to put them through a prolonged demise/stress, though. Third, these 'break-ins' are usually much more prone to disease after being stressed out so much, and if you're serious about keeping fish, you want healthy, happy fish. Right?
Mrs Lycos
Is there a problem if you keep them lighted all day long? I had some fish, and they were fine for about four months, but I guess they got somehow sick. I don't know what happened to them, apart from cleaning the tank, I put in some anti-fungus (specially for fish), and fed them regularly.
Drawingguy
If you aren't exactly sure what your fish is sick with, it's not a good idea to just throw in any medicine. Remember, medicines are toxic and stressful to the fish, but their negatives outweigh the positives if they combat the disease. So just adding anti-fungal medications, like malachite green, can hurt a fish if it doesn't have any fungus.

As for lights all day, it's not the worst thing you can do, but it's not that great, either. The fish can get stressed out; they're used to having night and day, just as we are. If you ever turn on the lights on a dark tank, you'll see the fish 'sleeping'; they lie on the bottom at times, their colors can change...they really sleep. So imagine trying to sleep in a lit house. You can do it, but it's uncomfortable-after a while, it can stress out the fish (making them prone to illness).
Ucbet
omg I never know those thing were real. No wonder the goldfish I kept die quickly coz I really have no idea whatsoever about cycling tank Embarassed .
Blaster
You ph was probably messed up. Fish need the ph to be right or they will die. Its a problem with all fish. It has happened to us before also.
jharsika
All this is so interesting! I had a goldfish that lasted for a pretty long time.....pet stores really need to educate their customers better, but I guess they think they'll just scare them away with making fish seem like a 'difficult' pet to keep.

Why do some fish's "float bladders" burst? I don't know the actual name, but it's the gland that helps them float correctly. The fish I had started floating sideways and stuff, still alive and swimming, but not quite right.

I've seen fish in pet stores that look like they have leprosy, but they say it's just the kind of fish. Is that really true? They have like bulgy eyes and their skin/flesh/whatever is really loose and flaky, looks gross but they say it's supposed to be like that.

EDIT: They look like gold fish and are mostly white/orange/red with black.
Drawingguy
I think the type of fish you're talking about is one of the goldfish strains. For so long (I'm not even sure how long, but really long), they've been breeding types of goldfish to have those telescoping eyes, or the eyes with the fluid sacs beneath them. I'm not too sure what you mean by flaky skin- maybe their colors were just like that.

But I don't think a fish's swim bladder actually bursts- that sounds kind of fatal. What happens is, if a fish has a deformed swim bladder (which is what helps it keep its balance in the water), or if you overfeed, it gets something called swim bladder disorder. If the fish has too much to eat, it's stomach can press against the swim bladder. This messes up the swim bladder, and makes the fish lose its balance; an affected fish can swim on its side, crash on the bottom, swim upside down, etc.

A lot of times, this happens to goldfish. First off, a goldfish's body is more prone to swim bladder disorder than other fish, because of different proportions of the stomach and intestines. Also, because many of the fancy strains (like the 'googly eyes') have been bred for a compressed body, they are more predisposed to the problem.
jharsika
That's terrible! So how much ARE they supposed to eat? I guess because I was so young then I just kind of threw in food haphazardly.
friuser
really depends on pellets or flakes. with pellets i actually don't feed them much. Buy the automatic feeders. that's incredibly helpful. Mines automatically rotates and drops food into the tank every 12 hours. It takes a very long time to replace the battery. If you use rechargables most has to be replaced every month though since they don't hold anylong.

BTW. I did had a goldfish that grew I believe a tumor on the side of it's stomach. It was like a bubble. If you google they say it could be overfeeding but in general there is not much you can do if it's a tumor. He was upside down for a little more than half a year before he died. It was really sad but he functioned quite well upside down if not a little weird.
roboguyspacedude
I used to own fish just for fun, but we gave up after they kept dying soon after we bought them. My mom thinks it was because we cleaned the tank too often and too thoroughly.
liamthebof
Im guessing you fed the fish and all so I am jumping to my experience. I had 2 fish who I fed and changed water weekly. They died within a few days. I read up about fishes desperate need for oxygenated water.

I solved the problem by taking an ordinary drinking straw (website advise) and blowing into the water into the tank. I did this for about a minute. I still have my fish Stormo and Trigger now.
ThornsOfSorrow
Did your fish look like they were covered in little bubbles? There's a parasitic disease called "Ick" that can kill many fish very quickly. Cleaning the tank doesn't help, but there are certain products available to cure the disease. Two of my friends unknowingly purchased fish that had ick, and it spread throughout their tanks, killing every single one of their fish. I don't know if that's what happened in your case (especially since only half of your fish died instead of all of them), but it's something to look out for in the future.
FirecrackerLabels
Fariza wrote:
we bought 6 fishes last month and all of a sudden 3 of em died in a matter of 2 days!

it was like they couldnt move or something and we tried to give it food but it didnt eat and we also cleaned the tank again! but still it died next morning... Sad

Do you live in the city or the country, city water contains chlorine which is very bad for fish so if you use city water you have to treat it before you put the fish in. There are a number of products which will neutralize the chlorine and make it safe for the fish. I use a product called "Stress Coat", the good thing about this product is that it not only removes the chlorine from the water but it also help the fishes protective coating. Fish naturally have a protective slime coat on the which can be affected by stress, disease or bad water. Stress coat helps replace that coating which helps fish fight off health problems, I have been using it for over 12 years and it has always worked great for me.
Billwaa
my fishes died within 1 week of me recieving it. So I end up just not buying them. My brother's however last 2~3 years. And it's just a couple cheap gold fishes, how did they happen?
Sadow
Maybe they were damaged while they were caught when you bought them.
My son's fish died about a year ago. It had jumped out of his bowl and my son found it in the morning.
The animal was still alive. Naturally my son put it back into the bowl where it floated on his back.
But after 8 - 12 hours it was coming alive again and it started swimming. But then it got sick and died anyways after approximately 24 hours. It probably had a damaged skin when it was out of the water for who knows how many minutes. I heard a fish can survive for more than an hour when it jumps out of the water. Although it was my son's fish, I remember I was pretty sad it died after coming alive first. Crying or Very sad
Rico
My condolences. Go buy some more, keep your eye on the pet shop owner, sometimes they squeeze the fish just enough to kill them a few hours later.
dolliedreams
I know it is a VERY stressful time when a pet or someone very speacial dies and you barely had a chance to show them how much you truly love them. Still it is not good to blame yourself on everything and remember that all things die or end at some point, and if you are still sad I suggest you try to figure out how your fishes died or learn ways to care for your fishes better or smarter than you did before. I hope this clears up some of the things you've been thinking of Very Happy !
rheanna
aww sorry to hear about your fishes... I saw a cool photo where they put a bird cage in a fish tank. Looked pretty wild. lol I can't find it now but found this one instead. haha

teknotom
I've kept a fish in a tank now for well over 4 years. I must be doing something right.
Molle
I have had around six goldfish. They are all dead now, and I think it is quite weird... I gave them food, clean water and all those things. But sometimes it got really, and I mean really cold on the room where my fish were. So that must be the reason... I did not love my fish, I do not really like them. ^^
romaop
A friend of mine had a small redfish. Everything went right till summer. I guess the rise of temperature was fatal. His small child was so sad, that, on the following day, a new fish just appeared on the small circular tank. The child was again delighted.
What happened?
a)The fish wasn't dead. It was just sleeping.
b)The fish isn't dead but this one seems to be bigger. I guess parents gave him extra vitamins.
c)Other answer.
Sphaerenkern
b!
The reason why my fish die from time to time is because the scalares eat them.
And the Scalares refuse to die Very Happy
azbuky
3 of my fish died also, but I think my turtles ate them... I really liked them and they lived together for about 2 weeks, but, after that, 2 of them dissapeared and, after a few days, the other one, too...
asim
Fariza wrote:

this reminds me of a same incident which happened with me... but it was 32 fishes which died, and i came to know that these fishes don live in fresh water.. and he gave some liquid, which he caled chlorine.... i dont remember much of it... as it was 7 yrs back
alibadman
aww that sux for you i also had some fishies but one of them ate the other :O
weird animals
jackiz
my mom was feeding my fiches in 2 weeks. 10/14 died.
Dean_The_Great
My sister had a beta fish and it has lived for 3 years now. I think now it has a swim bladder deformation, because it's always on its side. I figure that's probably not a good thing, and sometimes it will just kinda "play dead". It sits there at the bottom (on its side) and just looks dead. Even if you try to feed him or tap on the tank, he does nothing. Sometimes you can even poke him or pick him up and nothing happens. Then he'll just stop playing dead and be fine.

What the heck is that? Why would that happen? Do we have an incredibly stressed fish on our hands, or is he just bizarre?
Drawingguy
A lot of times, those bettas, or 'fighter fish' only live for a few years. I believe that the average lifespan is something like three years, so it's about there- remember, those bettas we get from pet stores have been selectively bred for their fancy colors and long fins, which, while making the fish pretty, also reduce it's hardiness and lifespan.

But besides the fact that your fish may simply be nearing an end, here are some things to consider. How much are you feeding it? Overfeeding can cause swim bladder problems, which your fish may or may not have. Also, as the winter months approach, something to consider is the water temperature. Although the fish has lived for a couple winters, some people say that as a fish gets older, it needs better conditions. So I ask, is the water heated? When I first got into fishkeeping, I had a betta in an unheated tank, and as the temperatures dipped, it grew sluggish, and 'crashed' on the bottom. Relatively soon, I moved it to a larger, warmer tank, where it quickly perked up, with vibrant colors and personality.