FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Martial Arts

tahoestyle
With regret I would have to say martial arts as a hobby at this point. For many martial artist it should be a way of life. For most it seems to be an hour or two of exercise, for others revenge, but ultimately I really think it is a way of life. Obviously there is more to kicking and punching - throwing and grappling - Soon I hope to take my experience to a whole new level and incorporate my lifestyle.
Any one out there in martial arts?
Cddhesh
I know plain Karate,ie also with few tricks.I was going for Kung-Fu classes but then left because i got injured.That was the last day of my class.
Drvanger
I doing Shaolin Kung-fu for 4 years. I think it's a really good sport, and it is also a lifestyle.
kerryworkman
tahoestyle wrote:
With regret I would have to say martial arts as a hobby at this point. For many martial artist it should be a way of life. For most it seems to be an hour or two of exercise, for others revenge, but ultimately I really think it is a way of life. Obviously there is more to kicking and punching - throwing and grappling - Soon I hope to take my experience to a whole new level and incorporate my lifestyle.
Any one out there in martial arts?

I have a fourth degree black belt, and teach martial arts out of my own school, but it hasn't always been a way of life for me. However, It will be, and has always been a big part of who I am. It helps to define me and the way I think, feel, and look at things in general. I think it is more a part of you, rather than just a way of life. I think that it should be so much a part of you that you don't even necessarly see it as a seperate entity anymore. This perhaps requires a change of thinking about martial arts as more than just a pyhsical activity, but as a spiritual and mental art as well. It is whatever you put into, and take out of it. No two people learn the same things, even when taught by the same instructor. Take it or leave it that is just my viewpoint on the subject.
LeatherRose
I was in Tae Quan Doe. It was very fun, i enjoyed the work out, the skills, the "way of life" as you put it.
but sadly i developed a heart problem and had to stop when i was 3 belts away from my black belt :'(
Genesiz
Have been doing Karate for 9 years now and i will agree that it has become a part of my life. It has helped me to build up muscle strength, given me courage, helped me to find new ways to motivate myself and shown me how to control my anger.

I feel that if i was attacked in the street by someone bigger than myself, holding any sort of weapon, i could subdue the attacker. Karate has taught me that anything can be overcome with perserverance and determination.
BLAK
I started doing "freestyle taekwondo" (that's what it's called) few months ago, and after that I'm feeling more confident with myself as well as my fitness is better. In my lesson we are doing all sorts of martial arts, for example boxing, kickboxing, cappoiera, self-deffence and taekwondo obviously. Smile
Tatsumaru
I used to take Jujutsu classes on saturdays, until something else came in the way (extra school eductation stuff)... in a way I still practise martial arts, as I practise basic kicks and I'm into a sport that involves certain kicks and stuff.
Genesiz
Martial arts is something that you can just never forget. Even if you didn't practice/train for several months, you can still remember the basics, and can pick up on the rest really quickly.

Its kinda unique in that way.
prominent
Has anyone heard of Wing Chun Kwoon? I am considering joining my local chapter.
kerryworkman
prominent wrote:

I have heard of Wing Chun but not the Kwoon (it's probably is related to the name of the martial artist who developed this particullar off-shoot, or it's just the name of this dojo/business). I went to wikipedia and found you some more info on Wing Chun that may help with your decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun

Good luck, I hope everything works out.
Genesiz
prominent wrote:

Go for it man. I originally hadn't planned on joining my local Karate club, but my friends pushed me into doing it and now look where i am; i'm the only one left doing out of all my friends that joined, and i am currently looking at getting my next black belt. I definitely don't regret it, and am thankful that my friends pushed me into joining.

And so i say this to you as a friend; join, you won't regret it Smile
aningbo
i watch videos downloaded from the net or movies and play-pause and learn lolz.

have been doing it for a long time now...
fbcompany
brazilian jiu jitsu.

yeah feel the pain.

somewhere between martial art and no holds barred brawling.

its prolly the closist thing to ufc fighting

good fun.