FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Life Expectancy of a Hamster.

dlseven777
I have a question. What is the life expectancy of the average hamster? My younger cousin was given a hamster to take care off. It had not been in her care longer than 2 years and it has died. Its prolly wishful thinking for it to have died of age. So I just wanted to know what is the average life expectancy for a hamster?
miacps
That sounds a little short to me. My sisters hamster lived a little over 3 years and during that time it got into a horrible accident with a clothes hanger and had to have its leg amputated. It lived pretty well for another year or so after that though.

I don't think hamsters have that long of a lifespan. If I remember correctly, my friends hamster also lived about 3-4 years.
brucedes
On average it's 2-3 years, but old 4 year old ones have happened too.
Drawingguy
Yeah, the previous poster was right. 2-3 years, and your hampster should have expected to live an average life. It makes sense- they're rodents. Small rodents, and in my understanding, animals that reproduce so quickly, and in such high numbers, generally don't live very long.
Genesiz
2-3 years is about the average, depending on how well you keep the hamster, and whether it develops any illnesses or gets sick.

If your lucky, it could live up to 4 years, but then it may be kinder to have it put down (with old age comes more illnesses).
hiquality
I had 3 hamsters ... one of them was 3 years old and the other two were 4 years old... but one day i left them in their cage by the window and the cage disappeared with my poor-cuddly-lovely hamsters Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Embarassed ... i think some kid hamster-napped them...
Sadow
My son's hamsters are 3 years of age now, but I didn't know they could make it up till 4 years. Cool
One of them broke a leg about a year ago and it had to be amputated. But she's still doing fine.
What are you guys feeding them? We give them cheese and also vegetables on occasion.
hilariouslicorice
My friend just told me that hamsters eat their young.

Can anyone confirm/disprove this strange bit of information?? Shocked
Rico
We had an old hamster with a pacemaker and a wooden leg. He was a tough little fighter but died of testicular cancer at the ripe old age of two and a half years. Sniff.