FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forum transfering

nivinjoy
As is now i am having a forum hosted on a free forum hosting service and some users have already registered to the forum...So will it be possible to transfer this forum to the direct domain systen provided to me from frihost...
wumingsden
nivinjoy wrote:
As is now i am having a forum hosted on a free forum hosting service and some users have already registered to the forum...So will it be possible to transfer this forum to the direct domain systen provided to me from frihost...

If the free forum hosting service gives you the database of your forum then yes indeed, it is easily possible to transfer it to your account on frihost, especially if it is the ever-popular phpBB

Please note that you will also need the files of the forum if any of the code has been modified from its original.

If you need help with setting up the forum on your future fri-hosted account then feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to be of any assistance.

Wumingsden.
Hunterseaker
When you use phpbb as forum software, it isn't hard indeed to transfer your forum.
Just make sure you change the url of your old site into the new site in your database. You can use phpmyadmin and then browse to the config tables.
When I transferred my forum, I forgot to change the url, and then I kept returning to my old host when I tried to access my acp because the url was still wrong. I hope I made my self a bit clear.

summary:
change the url in the config to your new url.
swizzy
1. Backup your files here
2. Backup your database here
3. Restore your files & backup on your other host.
4. Change Site url in the Administration Panel
5. Search thru the database for any links referring to the old host
6. Check throughly and reset any links hardcoded into any file
7. Done!

if you wanna detailed instructions, post here.