FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

5 February 2010 - Music-Whiz.com - NEW!!!

richard270384
UPDATE 5 February 2010You know the drill by now - Let me know what you think of the changes - http://www.music-whiz.com

I look forward to getting some constructive feedback Smile

UPDATE 21 DECEMBER 2009Thanks to feedback from here and other forums, as well from the valued members of the Music-Whiz.com community, new features and an improved layout have just been added to http://www.music-whiz.com

I look forward to getting some constructive feedback Smile

UPDATE 23 SEPTEMBER 2008 - It's been a long time coming, but based on feedback from various sources and my own experiences and increased programming skills, I have completely recoded/rebuilt Music-Whiz.com. The database structure has been chopped and changed, normalised and heaps more (over 100 changes and additions were made to table names, field names, field types etc.). The interface is more intuitive, and it is now easier than ever to add your favourite artists/bands, albums, and songs. I have also started including more tools to allow users to interact with each other.

To really get a feel for the site, you will need to register a free account, and add your favourite artist/band, album, or songs.

If you have visited/reviewed Music-Whiz.com before, please visit again. You will be surprised at the changes. It is virtually a completely new site (to the point that I considered starting a new thread for it).

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK - Good Stuff and Bad Stuff please!

UPDATE 28 February 2008 - My search script was always something that I just threw together really really quickly, and it only effectively searched through song lyrics.

I have finally gotten around to updating the search script. Please do a search and let me know what you think of it. If no-one finds any problems, I will probably consider removing the 'browse' pages and just use the search functionality for everything.

Please let me know any suggestions you have or problems you encounter with the search script. It now searches EVERYTHING!

Cheers

UPDATE 4 March 2008 I've just finished some major layout/user interface updates. Please let me know what you think.

Gday all,

I've been working on a website. It's not completely finished yet but there is enough done that it's worth me beginning to promote it.

My vision is a site where people can find any information that they want about any artist/band, album or song that they want to and they can rate and review and let other people know what they think. Eventually there'd be a forum but my main focus at the moment is getting the site ready for content (I hate sites which are a forum and nothing else). I also want to have links to artist/band official websites/fan sites and once the site gets big enough this would be searchable in a simple search engine.

There are a few sites out there which are similar but they are usually flooded with ads and it gets very hard to figure out what is content and what is rubbish. I want to try and keep my site fairly simple so that it loads quickly and can be easily navigated, but i'll probably go back and redo the user interface once i've finished the back end and built up the content.

Since i'm not in it for the money, the little advertising that I will have (which will be located down the left hand side of the page) will be used for exchanging links with other websites. I'd rather use that space to directly build traffic rather than make a few $ here and there. Plus, you'll notice the site will have some lyrics on it and I don't think that it is fair that I should make money on those lyrics when I didn't write them.

So the site is at http://www.music-whiz.com. Feel free to register.

This is only the second time that I've used php for a site and the first time that I've used mysql (or any other databse for that matter) so I think i've done pretty well so far (in about a week).

I am happy to recieve any feedback, particularly feedback regarding what sort of information you think should be made available on the website (e.g. maybe the hometown of a band?).

Cheers,
Richard
richard270384
I've noticed some of you submitting lyrics - I guess you are testing it out. I realise that the forms can be submitted without adding any info, and I will be fixing it soon. But for the moment, it's not a major issue since all lyrics need to be approved by me anyway.
the6thfactor
The site has a lot of potential. Perhaps a little more variety of colors, there seems to be a lot of blue. Maybe offset with more white?

Also a note, I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but it does not show properly in Firefox (looks fine in IE). You may want to work on more cross-compatibility between browsers in future updates.

Keep up the good work Smile
SamiTheBerber
The site looks nice, but there are few exceptions. Login area could be abover and links, on the menu, have very huge padding.

You have some coding errors which are fixable. More info here. Most of them are basic errors.
richard270384
Gday,

Thanks for the feedabck Sami and 6th Factor.

I have taken advice from both of you -

1) I have redesigned the interface (much less blue now)
2) I have tested the new design on Netscape 9 and IE 6 - and it works fine - but now it seems to have a lot more errors according to the W3C Validator so i'm a little confused.

I don't have Firefox (and am running low on space on my laptop at the moment so I'd rather not install it). If anyone with Firefox could let me know if the new design works it'd be much appreciated.

Anyway, I'm REALLY happy with the new design so far so please take a look. I'm giving myself a pat on the back for it.

By the way, I;ve changed servers so please make sure you use http://www.musicplace.co.nr to access the site.

One last point, member logins are currently disabled since I haven't had time to incorporate it into the new design.

Thanks fellas,
Richard
Insanity
You might want to try to get some padding in your main content box so they don't so crowded and cramped. I think your vision is a bit ambitious and vague, since you say that it will be a site for information about any band or artist. Maybe you'd have better luck sticking with just lyrics or something? Just my two cents.
f-spider
Hey, first off I'd like to add it's a very cool idea, and the site looks like it has a lot of potential.

I like the design, it's very cool looking and the header is interesting. However if not a little bright, but it works well with the other colours. I noticed one bug while browsing; for example on the Silverchair page the right hand side menu seems to lag over the other box and kind of become out of place, because there isn't enough content on the page. I like the navigation bar too; looks nice and the roll over gives it a nice effect.

Good luck with the site, I'm sure you'll get a tonne of visitors!

f-spider Very Happy
JessieF
It looks great on my computer! ^^ I really like the color choice and the layout. It's very nice.
SamiTheBerber
It seems that you have complety redesigned your site. It looks very nice indeed. The layout is much better than before. However there are still some coding errors. You have fixed the encoding error, which is good thing. you should know that xhtml requires tags with small letters. This has caused some errors with <BR> and <BR /> tags. You should move both of them to <br />-form. Also <B> should be <b> or better <strong>. I suggest you to use external javascript file, because javascript uses some characters that is used by html or xhtml like <-char. Just tell us whne you have fixed these errors and we could help you to fix other errors which might show up after fixing these.
kiran_n444
A few Problems/Bugs:

"ABOUT US" leads to Server Error
"the LOGIN.PHP" after you register doesn't Load. Thats Wut i found in like 15 secs. Don't Make me Search-_-' But other than that i think it has great potential.
richard270384
I haven't yet made the about us or random lyric pages. I might try and work on that today.

As for the login.php script, I just tested it and had no problems, but after looking at the login script I think I found (and fixed) something that could screw around with some browsers. Just out of curiosity, which browser are you using?

Cheers
Sphaerenkern
Nice idea for a site. The menu-bar on the top looks a bit like 80's eye-cancer, if you get what I mean.
The advertisement is okay, I think. It's tiny and it doesn't get in your way.
For the "Random Lyrics" and "About Us"-Page: Please design some "This page doesn't exist yet"-page, otherwise it looks like you didn't made it to put the page there properly. Wink
What would be very nice is a "Browse by song title"-page! I mean, sometimes you hear a song but you don't know the artist, or forgot it... you know?
richard270384
'ABout us' and 'random lyric' pages are up...

You can now do a full text search for keywords or exact phrase in song lyrics.

Thanks for the feedback, Sphaerenkern. I will put 'browse by song' and 'browse by album' pages up soon. but in the meantime, the search page should do a similar job (hhelping people find songs when they dont know the artist or album.)

Cheers
tamilparks
cool and very nice site
richard270384
There's been quite a few major updates since my last post.

Please take a look.

Any and allsuggestions are always welcome.
regards
Are you getting a high traffic? It seems that you don't have a lot of members. I think you can do more on advertising your site, such as using Google Adwords, websites catalog, etc.
Back to your website, I admit that your panel design is really favourable, light and comfortable. But I don't like the dark blue background colour, it make your website dark and bulky, giving itself a mysterious feeling. ( Laughing Maybe it's for halloween! : Dancing )

Boo hoo! Regards!
richard270384
Thansk for the feedback regards,

I dont have a lot of traffic... only about 20-30 visitors a week.

At the moment I'm ofcusing on developing the site, SEO, link exchanges and content.

Until I have a really good reason for vistors to stay I won't be spending money on getting them to stay. (I haven't spent a single cent on the site yet and it'll be that way for a while. )

Luckily, the topic of music (particularly song lyrics) is a very often searched subject on search engines so my aim at the moment, as far as advertising goes, is improving my rankings in search results for specific songs.

Cheers,
assee
hei . richard nice site man . i have also music site . take a look

http://mp3songshome.com

if u like i would like to Link exchange .

post here if u want.

thanks.
richard270384
Gday assee,

I've decided not to link to sites that allow free music downloads. I can only assume that since you don't charge for your service it is not legal.

Sorry mate.
asim
Good one dude,

your website is really good. i appreciate it.
richard270384
Just letting you guys know that I have given my site a complete overhaul - Please let me know what you think.

Cheers.
SamiTheBerber
Your site has now a new layout? This layout is very nice. Login-area suits on the header, but it covers areas of the logo. Background could be fixed, it gives more dimension on my opinion Wink

You have many scripts on your site. Most of them comes from ads, which isn't so good thing. I use NoScript -plug-in on firefox and haven't accept any script from your site. Site works without them, so that is fine for me. I'm also not going to accept all of them to see what I would get. Your CSS-hoverings are well-designed. Not too ugly and give more dimension.

You have valid xhtml banner on your site, but the site isn't valid xhtml 1.0 transitional. You have some <BR> tags which should be <br /> (small case and thet slash). You have also some basic errors for xhtml+php-beginners. You have &-char on your url, but you should write them with html on site. Replace &'s with &amp;'s to make them valid. You should remember to write all tag with small caps. I recommend to use only external JavaScript. More information how to validate your site click here.
richard270384
ANother update - You can now upload images.

Also, If anybody has the desire - im trying to get a free domain using NP$ if you want to donate please pm me.

Sami - When I added the banner, I was only testing my code for XHTML compliance (and it is compliant.) The ads are what makes it non-compliant and they drive a lot of visitors to my site. If I could get XHTML compliant banner echcnage codes I would ,but these sites don;t have them.

When I was researching XHTML so many sites said the XHTML checker at w3c.org was rubbish and that at the end of the day, as long as the site is accessible (e.g. for blind people etc.) that is what really matters - there are some things which xhtml doesnt cater for (such as iframes and inline scripts). Perhaps as XHTML develops and becomes THE standard rather than A standard I will remove the offending code snippets.

Just out of curiosity, do you find a lot of sites dont work properly because you dont have javascript enabled? I think you are being a bit paraboid by not having them enabled.
SamiTheBerber
You have fixed lots of errors. There are few easy fixes to make. Just remember to add alt attributes to all img-tags. Also convert SCRIPT to script. script-tag should look like: <script type="text/javascript" src="..."></script>

Rest of script-errors could be fixed with external file, but it is up to you, if you want valid xhtml. The validator works, but it can't seperate tag inside scripts.
richard270384
SamiTheBerber wrote:
Your site has now a new layout? This layout is very nice. Login-area suits on the header, but it covers areas of the logo. Background could be fixed, it gives more dimension on my opinion Wink

You have many scripts on your site. Most of them comes from ads, which isn't so good thing. I use NoScript -plug-in on firefox and haven't accept any script from your site. Site works without them, so that is fine for me. I'm also not going to accept all of them to see what I would get. Your CSS-hoverings are well-designed. Not too ugly and give more dimension.

You have valid xhtml banner on your site, but the site isn't valid xhtml 1.0 transitional. You have some <BR> tags which should be <br /> (small case and thet slash). You have also some basic errors for xhtml+php-beginners. You have &-char on your url, but you should write them with html on site. Replace &'s with &amp;'s to make them valid. You should remember to write all tag with small caps. I recommend to use only external JavaScript. More information how to validate your site click here.

Just finished a complete redesign. To the best of my knowledge all pages are now xhtml compliant. I look forward to your scrutiny.
irishmark
broken link
richard270384
Nah,

Just accidently left a 'r' on the end of the url. Fixed it up now.
richard270384
I WROTE A NEW SEARCH SCRIPT
My search script was always something that I just threw together really really quickly, and it only effectively searched through song lyrics.

I have finally gotten around to updating the search script. Please do a search and let me know what you think of it. If no-one finds any problems, I will probably consider removing the 'browse' pages and just use the search functionality for everything.

Please let me know any suggestions you have or problems you encounter with the search script. It now searches EVERYTHING!

Cheers
richard270384
UPDATE 4 March 2008 I've just finished some major layout/user interface updates. Please let me know what you think.
phpc0d3r
Unfortunately your site appears to be down.
PM me when it's back up and I'll take a look at it.
richard270384
Yeah, the server got upgraded about 4 days ago, then 3 days ago it went down. Still haven't got any solid answer on whats going on with it - maybe they don't work weekends so hopefully it will be back up on monday.
richard270384
Site is back up (albeit on a temporary server.)
richard270384
MASSIVE CHANGES - PLEASE RE-REVIEW THIS SITE!
rehoboth
Took a look and listen. Thanks for sharing
richard270384
Thanks to feedback from here and other forums, as well from the valued members of the Music-Whiz.com community, new features and an improved layout have just been added to http://www.music-whiz.com

The most common site features are available through simple links at the top of each page, while links to a more comprehensive list of important areas of the site are available in the footer.

A new browsing system allows you to browse entities, releases and songs alphabetically, or by genre.

Several bug fixes and improvements behind the scenes have also been addressed.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.
andysart380
couple of things are hard to read due to the layout..maybe think of some color changes..other than that the layout is easy to navigate just gotta look close
richard270384
BUMP

UPDATE 5 February 2010You know the drill by now - Let me know what you think of the changes - http://www.music-whiz.com
Ghost Rider103
MUCH better!

Your old design had many un-needed borders and such that made it seem kind of messy, plus the old navigation buttons were not the best. This update is a hell of a lot better than your previous!

I can actually stand to look at it now (no offense).

One thing I don't like, is the color of the footer. It just doesn't seem to fit in.

Good job with the new changes.

edit: By the way, does Music-Whiz have an official Twitter account? I couldn't find one on Twitter.
richard270384
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
MUCH better!

Your old design had many un-needed borders and such that made it seem kind of messy, plus the old navigation buttons were not the best. This update is a hell of a lot better than your previous!

I can actually stand to look at it now (no offense).

One thing I don't like, is the color of the footer. It just doesn't seem to fit in.

Good job with the new changes.

edit: By the way, does Music-Whiz have an official Twitter account? I couldn't find one on Twitter.

No offence taken. I've never been great with graphics or page layout - thats why I've changed it so often. I seem to be much better at coding.

What color do you think the footer should be? I wanted to avoid blue because a lot of people (on other forums) have told me that I use too much blue...

I created a twitter account a few weeks ago - but I haven't really used it - http://twitter.com/music_whiz

You can also find us on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Music-Whizcom/6483529191